Super heavyweight class?

I’ve heard some rumblings that is super heavy weight class may be added next year for boys over 285 pounds. I think this would be a great addition for kids who are currently being discriminated against. Great job of adding girls wrestling for a group that previously did not have their sport. However kids above 285 pounds have been left out. Often times these are football players we should be getting into wrestling. Just curious if anybody has heard the same rumors. I’ve heard that Iowa has a super heavy weight class, so I would say it’s possible for the agency to do the also.

Adding super HWT would seem odd to me after just lowering the upper weights (220 to 215, 195 to 190, 182 to 175, 170 to 165 and 160 to 157).  I'm sure forfeit data was used to make this change but seems like lowering weight classes will only encourage cutting weight.  

I hope they do not make this decision. In 2019-2020 NFL season only about 25% of NFL players weighed over 300lbs - all of them defensive line or offensive line. They are rare athletes that are also typically 6'3"-6'8". The % of population that weighed in over 300lbs was at that time 3.8% of U.S. citizens. 

Unless the athlete is in that rare category of NFL caliber athlete and body build - making 285 seems like the best interest for their longterm health. 

https://www.audacy.com/national/sports/gallery/the-nfls-12-most-dominant-300-pound-stars 

I think the weights are weird already. I understand there are not 100  pounders everywhere. or 97 pounders but they do exist we should definitely have a smaller weight than 106. I think that would help on kids that are not making that 106 weight to at least wrestle and be competitive.  Also the weight Shifting around instead of adding another weight class or 2 just pushes the inevitable off. There needs to be more weight Classes!

100,106,113,120,126,132,138,145,152,160,170,182,195,215,240,285,285+...No alpha weight at Super Heavy.

Some of the belly aching

* it takes too long to get through a meet. 

but really we have kids that are not wrestling at higher and lower weights. I understand that this hurts smaller schools that don't have as many kids to fill spots.

But in order to, "GROW" our sport we need to still make  accessible to everyone trying to play/compete. and Kids in this day and age come in all sorts of sizes.

Just my opinion.

On 4/7/2023 at 9:53 PM, buttler73 said:

I think the weights are weird already. I understand there are not 100  pounders everywhere. or 97 pounders but they do exist we should definitely have a smaller weight than 106. I think that would help on kids that are not making that 106 weight to at least wrestle and be competitive.  Also the weight Shifting around instead of adding another weight class or 2 just pushes the inevitable off. There needs to be more weight Classes!

100,106,113,120,126,132,138,145,152,160,170,182,195,215,240,285,285+...No alpha weight at Super Heavy.

Some of the belly aching

* it takes too long to get through a meet. 

but really we have kids that are not wrestling at higher and lower weights. I understand that this hurts smaller schools that don't have as many kids to fill spots.

But in order to, "GROW" our sport we need to still make  accessible to everyone trying to play/compete. and Kids in this day and age come in all sorts of sizes.

Just my opinion.

I've always wondered how many more football players might wrestle if there were more classes between 175-310...? If you had weight classes where another linebacker, edge rusher, tight end or fullback could fit in, you never know how much that would help both sports... 

For years, I had to hear how some kid had to wrestle up a weight class and give up 5-7 pounds when light heavys often give up a higher percentage difference and no one blinks... 

Seems to be a lot of things are done to increase inclusivity nowadays, so why not add back in a 97 and 285+? 

I think we are currently discriminating against big kids and are open to a discrimination lawsuit (anyone work for the ACLU). My son is 6’7, 325. I think it’s dangerous for him to cut to get to 285 and I won’t allow it.

Show me any other sport where a kid is not allowed to play (I know some are difficult, but they still have an opportunity to tryout). This 285 cap is just plain wrong.

8 hours ago, BooBoo Bear said:

I think we are currently discriminating against big kids and are open to a discrimination lawsuit (anyone work for the ACLU). My son is 6’7, 325. I think it’s dangerous for him to cut to get to 285 and I won’t allow it.

Show me any other sport where a kid is not allowed to play (I know some are difficult, but they still have an opportunity to tryout). This 285 cap is just plain wrong.

Weight is not a protected class. Unlike religion, sexual orientation, gender, ethnicity, race, and so on. Here is a link to 1 of dozens of articles you can find by simply googling "is weight a protected class." The only state currently a lawsuit could be issued and won is Michigan. It would be an extremely costly difficult lawsuit to win. A judge, if they are good, won't (or shouldn't) render a judgment based feeling or emotion and adhere to Title VII policies. 

For your son in particular given the fact they are 6'7'' and 325 that is unfortunate - at that height and weight it is highly unlikely they have an unhealthy BMI. He is also in a rare category since only 1% of the U.S. population exceeds 6'4" in height (source) and only 3.8% of the total U.S. population weighs more than 300lbs. Your son seems to be the rare athlete that would qualify for NFL or NBA type body. But for most others that is not a healthy weight. Per the National Health Institute it results in multiple issues like cardiovascular, heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and so on. 

On 4/15/2023 at 9:02 AM, SunDevils said:

Weight is not a protected class. Unlike religion, sexual orientation, gender, ethnicity, race, and so on. Here is a link to 1 of dozens of articles you can find by simply googling "is weight a protected class." The only state currently a lawsuit could be issued and won is Michigan. It would be an extremely costly difficult lawsuit to win. A judge, if they are good, won't (or shouldn't) render a judgment based feeling or emotion and adhere to Title VII policies. 

For your son in particular given the fact they are 6'7'' and 325 that is unfortunate - at that height and weight it is highly unlikely they have an unhealthy BMI. He is also in a rare category since only 1% of the U.S. population exceeds 6'4" in height (source) and only 3.8% of the total U.S. population weighs more than 300lbs. Your son seems to be the rare athlete that would qualify for NFL or NBA type body. But for most others that is not a healthy weight. Per the National Health Institute it results in multiple issues like cardiovascular, heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and so on. 

Agree, most kids over 285 are probably not healthy, and it would be beneficial to most to make 285. Basically every other sport doesn't force kids to get down to weight in order to compete, but losing weight in wrestling is not something isolated to only heavyweight wrestlers. It doesn't seem like an unfair restriction imposed on heavyweight wrestlers when most wrestlers also have to make weight as well.

And before it's brought up as a rebuttal, of course you aren't forced to cut weight in wrestling. However, most wrestlers at the very least follow a somewhat strict schedule and are forced to maintain some sort of weight throughout the season. Nobody is trying to jump up weight classes during wrestling season.

Establishing a 315 weight class would create a very small weight class (ironically) in which most (not all) could make 285 instead, and probably be healthier at that weight.

1 hour ago, TysonNisley said:

Agree, most kids over 285 are probably not healthy, and it would be beneficial to most to make 285. Basically every other sport doesn't force kids to get down to weight in order to compete, but losing weight in wrestling is not something isolated to only heavyweight wrestlers. It doesn't seem like an unfair restriction imposed on heavyweight wrestlers when most wrestlers also have to make weight as well.

And before it's brought up as a rebuttal, of course you aren't forced to cut weight in wrestling. However, most wrestlers at the very least follow a somewhat strict schedule and are forced to maintain some sort of weight throughout the season. Nobody is trying to jump up weight classes during wrestling season.

Establishing a 315 weight class would create a very small weight class (ironically) in which most (not all) could make 285 instead, and probably be healthier at that weight.

I couldn't careless if there is a weight class that is 95lb or +300lb. However, facts should be weighed, and if lawsuits are going to be suggested at least have a basic understanding of the law. Courts have decided sports are "a privilege not, a right" as recently as 2008. If a sport chooses to set limits, then it has liberty to do so and so long as it fairly and equally enforces those limitations they are not at fault. And if weight is not a protected class, then a sport has every right under current construct of the law to develop competitive parameters. 

Additionally, other sports impose restrictions UFC and bodybuilding have weight classes. The NBA has only had 25 players 5'9" or shorter despite the fact there are possibly shorter players more skilled than their taller counterparts. The average NFL player weight was 243.74 in 2022 (per the NFL) and the last player to weigh 150lbs and play in the NFL is Brandon Banks (2010-2012). Granted the NBA and NFL do not have rules officially prohibiting short players or light players but functionally they are historically exclusionary. And since sport is legally a privilege, not a right as the law is currently written they would have the right to set up their own parameters if they desire. 

What you are asking is should there be a weight class of 315? Which is entirely different and warrants a legitimate conversation, rather than referring to the ACLU and suggesting a lawsuit. 

Edited by SunDevils