Tell City

navy80

3 FF's so out of 11 wrestlers

7 sectional champions with 10 going to Regionals

3 Regional Champions with 8 going to Semi State

2,2,3,3 Semi state finishes with 4 going to state

If it wasn't for a terrible draw, you could add Coy Hammack to the state finals list.

Ranked 4th going into the 1A tournament and came out of it Class 1A Champions. 21-4 record with losses to Heritage Hills, Col East, and Mater Dei. 

They finished 4th in Semi State. Lets not forget they got 4th out of the most brutal and toughest semi state in Indiana!

I know other schools get recognition but my goodness, Tell City is a powerhouse this year! 

All four of their state finals wrestlers are the lower ranking and may not win but Im impressed by TC.

24 minutes ago, navy80 said:

3 FF's so out of 11 wrestlers

7 sectional champions with 10 going to Regionals

3 Regional Champions with 8 going to Semi State

2,2,3,3 Semi state finishes with 4 going to state

If it wasn't for a terrible draw, you could add Coy Hammack to the state finals list.

Ranked 4th going into the 1A tournament and came out of it Class 1A Champions. 21-4 record with losses to Heritage Hills, Col East, and Mater Dei. 

They finished 4th in Semi State. Lets not forget they got 4th out of the most brutal and toughest semi state in Indiana!

I know other schools get recognition but my goodness, Tell City is a powerhouse this year! 

All four of their state finals wrestlers are the lower ranking and may not win but Im impressed by TC.

Super impressive team.  Would be a real shame if they get seeded as 4th again next year at team states, after again winning 1A team state.

Talked to their coaches Saturday and congratulated them all multiple times! What they were able to accomplish this season was truly incredible! 

I also want to say every interaction we had with their team they were class acts. Great kids, and a great coaching staff. 

Keep doing what you are doing Tell City!

Edited by QuinnHarris

1 hour ago, ducktails said:

Coy Hammack, Kelby Glenn, Brayden Lain and Tyce Dupont will be a tough group to replace.

True. But coach Joe runs one heck of a youth program as well and always in the gym or traveling to tournaments. 

I was so happy to see him lead a band of brothers who have rolled together since they were 6 yrs old punch tickets. 

Best example was Coy Hammack who just lost a tough ticket round match be one of the first to emphatically embrace his teammate after punching his ticket. Right there with them was another part of the puzzle which is Coys father. One huge family. 

19 hours ago, Jayruss said:

They very well could be the best team in southern indiana next year ….😬

What's funny is, they forfeited 3 weights at sectional and the Team State qualifying scoring thinks they'll spot everyone 18 points in duals next year--but they're still in an automatic bid position. Normally, a couple forfeits is death to 1A teams trying to qualify.

Edited by maligned

27 minutes ago, maligned said:

What's funny is, they forfeited 3 weights at sectional and the Team State qualifying scoring thinks they'll spot everyone 18 points in duals next year--but they're still in an automatic bid position. Normally, a couple forfeits is death to 1A teams trying to qualify.

Which I still don’t get. Those studs returning are still worth just 6 points each. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Which I still don’t get. Those studs returning are still worth just 6 points each. 

You have to think in terms of point differential--not points scored. The difference between losing a forfeit and getting a pin is 12 points, not just 6 (because a forfeit puts you 6 in the hole and a pin swings you over to 6 in front). If you've got 4 SS or State-level guys coming back, those guys alone will be worth more than 30 points per dual more in differential than having 4 kids at sectional non-placer level, for example. Their 4 big returnees will make their duals results about 12 points stronger per match against 1A teams than if they had 4 regional qualifiers at those spots. 

21 minutes ago, maligned said:

You have to think in terms of point differential--not points scored. The difference between losing a forfeit and getting a pin is 12 points, not just 6 (because a forfeit puts you 6 in the hole and a pin swings you over to 6 in front). If you've got 4 SS or State-level guys coming back, those guys alone will be worth more than 30 points per dual more in differential than having 4 kids at sectional non-placer level, for example. Their 4 big returnees will make their duals results about 12 points stronger per match against 1A teams than if they had 4 regional qualifiers at those spots. 

I kind of understand that, but still think it’s a backward way of looking at it. Especially when they have three forfeits, it feels like they get credit for 30+ points one way, but not 20+ points the other way. 4 studs get pins and giving 3 forfeits is only a six point match. 

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

I kind of understand that, but still think it’s a backward way of looking at it. Especially when they have three forfeits, it feels like they get credit for 30+ points one way, but not 20+ points the other way. 4 studs get pins and giving 3 forfeits is only a six point match. 

Yes, the 3 forfeits aren't nothing. That's for sure. But history shows again and again that teams losing 2 ticket rounders and 2 state qualifiers replace them at a good level, so they get some points for those. Plus the 4 studs returning. Plus 2 other returnees at regional level (which is well above average for 1A). It's not dissimilar to their score and lineup situation last year at this time and they won the whole thing.  The truth is, I'm guessing there are more people wondering how the champs' qualification score is only 9th or 10th than wondering how they're in contention with 3 forfeits.

21 hours ago, 1prouddad said:

True. But coach Joe runs one heck of a youth program as well and always in the gym or traveling to tournaments. 

I was so happy to see him lead a band of brothers who have rolled together since they were 6 yrs old punch tickets. 

Best example was Coy Hammack who just lost a tough ticket round match be one of the first to emphatically embrace his teammate after punching his ticket. Right there with them was another part of the puzzle which is Coys father. One huge family. 

I can't agree more.  Watching Coy and Bryce be the biggest supporters of the teammates right after Coy took his tough loss speaks volumes of their program and the people they are. 

Thank you everyone.  It has been a great, successful season.  I couldn't ask for a better group of kids and parents, as you have mentioned above.  These seniors are truly a special band of brothers and will be missed greatly next season, but we have another group coming in right behind them.  But this year isn't over, and we are hoping to get 4 wrestlers on the podium this weekend!