EC Observations

Regionrat1

Lots of good wrestling today - random thoughts

New prairie - WAWASE nice teams 

Crown Point -another level 

Lots of young talent - Sessa - new prairie 138 - 132 crown point - Highland Hvy - kid can move

Hobart got some young talent

Things are lookin upper da future

Share your taughts fellow rats !

We are a different bread here in the region.  You come to EC, you better be ready to scrap for that ticket.  A lot of young guns punched their tickets, it just seems that the talent here is getting better and better.  We will always be the area that brings home the most hardware from State.  Better call 2 Brink's truck Rat!!

The wrestling was GREAT! The officiating was top notch! But my biggest take away was what great people the Crown Point family is. In particular the Sessa's, Bahl's, and Cruz's who we were sitting closest to. They are favored in almost every weight class and every match, so you want to root against them, but you can't. I learned a lot about how they have built that program and have nothing but respect for them. They are polite and courteous. Next weekend, I will of course will be cheering for the 4 New Prairie Cougars but also all the Crown Point kids as well. Good luck to all East Chicago Semistate wrestlers next weekend.

Crown point - wow what a team.  Imagine if they were at full strength.  Just on a different level.

Merrillville  - great job.  Even with the worst draws of the tournament (maybe Lowell had worst), managed to get 5 to State.  Year in year out they get kids to state that no one thought would be there.

Mishawaka  - very good team.  132 lber is very good.  Well coached.

Overall -  some awesome wrestling.  Tournament was well ran, no problems, that I saw.  Can see 6 or 7 state champs from EC easily.  On a good day 8.  

Merrillville: Turkey Bar = grabbing your turkey guts when it counts, good job coach.

Crown Point:  hey some parents just met each other last year..lol.. sucks they will never be a real community

Hobart: loudest, most obnoxious crowd at EC. 

EC: can we get a PA that works??? We can’t hear poop. 

Officials: can’t take back 2 takedown after calling near-fall in sudden death OT. 

Edited by Jimmypock

7 hours ago, Jimmypock said:

Merrillville: Turkey Bar = grabbing your turkey guts when it counts, good job coach.

Crown Point:  hey some parents just met each other last year..lol.. sucks they will never be a real community

Hobart: loudest, most obnoxious crowd at EC. 

EC: can we get a PA that works??? We can’t hear poop. 

Officials: can’t take back 2 takedown after calling near-fall in sudden death OT. 

Yeah that turkey is something else, but it works.

It was odd hearing all the talk about Crown Point.  I know when you are on top everyone wants to see you fail but man people where just outright mean when it came to CP.  Maybe this will fuel their fire even more.  Not going to lie, don't really like CP (not so much their fans or wrestlers but more their coaches) but love what their team is about to accomplish. 

Hobart crowd was loud.  But you got to love the support that team get.  And yes they were a bit obnoxious.

Yes, please EC get a new PA system.

Hey @Jimmypock and @VisionQuest87 It appears you have some pretty strong feelings against the CP wrestling community.  I'm not a coach, nor do I have a student athlete currently wrestling.  I'm just a fan of the sport and have paid attention for a long time. You seem to insinuate that the CP wrestling family doesn't know each other - nothing could be further from the truth.

First, let's not forget how many Merrillville teams, both wrestling and football, achieved lots of success with athletes outside of the Merrillville community. And many folks reading this thread know this. Portage had a few different runs too with the same situation. Does that seem fair to any of these communities and their programs? I assume your blanket bashing of the CP coaches and families would apply to Merrillville and Portage too.  I don't judge any family that moves to a different school district for any reason.  I assume they are making the best decision for their family - as they should.

Bashing the CP coaches is laughable.  You may not like them, but please educate yourself and understand what they have done not only for CP, but for the Region.  To be clear, Bill Hawkins and Vince Sessa are the reason CP is what it is.  They are also the reason (along with Alex Tsirtsis) why a lot of the wrestlers in the Region have achieved the success they have over the last decade or so through their training at RWA. 

CP has something special that has been going on and will continue for the foreseeable future.  Hawkins and Sessa live and breathe wrestling and are at just about every off season event year in and year out. I challenge you to go to CP home dual meet.  Watch as all the elementary and middle school kids try to get the attention Bill Hawkins and Vince Sessa.  They spend the time before and after dual meets high fiving, hugging and taking pictures with the young future wrestling stars.  They have been doing this for years.  It's a culture they created and it's genuine.  

The 5 seniors for CP this year are hammers.  And guess what, they have been together since they were 7 and 8 years old.  They are a family!  And that goes for the kids who have already graduated and are back in the CP wrestling room helping mentor and coach. It also goes for the kids who will be on the team next year and beyond - they are like family.  

2 hours ago, TrueRegionFan said:

Hey @Jimmypock and @VisionQuest87 It appears you have some pretty strong feelings against the CP wrestling community.  I'm not a coach, nor do I have a student athlete currently wrestling.  I'm just a fan of the sport and have paid attention for a long time. You seem to insinuate that the CP wrestling family doesn't know each other - nothing could be further from the truth.

First, let's not forget how many Merrillville teams, both wrestling and football, achieved lots of success with athletes outside of the Merrillville community. And many folks reading this thread know this. Portage had a few different runs too with the same situation. Does that seem fair to any of these communities and their programs? I assume your blanket bashing of the CP coaches and families would apply to Merrillville and Portage too.  I don't judge any family that moves to a different school district for any reason.  I assume they are making the best decision for their family - as they should.

Bashing the CP coaches is laughable.  You may not like them, but please educate yourself and understand what they have done not only for CP, but for the Region.  To be clear, Bill Hawkins and Vince Sessa are the reason CP is what it is.  They are also the reason (along with Alex Tsirtsis) why a lot of the wrestlers in the Region have achieved the success they have over the last decade or so through their training at RWA. 

CP has something special that has been going on and will continue for the foreseeable future.  Hawkins and Sessa live and breathe wrestling and are at just about every off season event year in and year out. I challenge you to go to CP home dual meet.  Watch as all the elementary and middle school kids try to get the attention Bill Hawkins and Vince Sessa.  They spend the time before and after dual meets high fiving, hugging and taking pictures with the young future wrestling stars.  They have been doing this for years.  It's a culture they created and it's genuine.  

The 5 seniors for CP this year are hammers.  And guess what, they have been together since they were 7 and 8 years old.  They are a family!  And that goes for the kids who have already graduated and are back in the CP wrestling room helping mentor and coach. It also goes for the kids who will be on the team next year and beyond - they are like family.  

What Part of this:

It was odd hearing all the talk about Crown Point.  I know when you are on top everyone wants to see you fail but man people where just outright mean when it came to CP.  Maybe this will fuel their fire even more.  Not going to lie, don't really like CP (not so much their fans or wrestlers but more their coaches) but love what their team is about to accomplish. 

Means I have this:  "It appears you have some pretty strong feelings against the CP wrestling community."

In fact I said "love what their team is about to accomplish."  If you are talking about this sentence "Not going to lie, don't really like CP (not so much their fans or wrestlers but more their coaches)"  Yeah the conduct of their coaches annoys me a bit.  I saw the, I believe, head coach complain about a kid not getting 2 for a questionable call out of bounds when the kid was winning 12-0.  Also, lot of crying about where they could stand.  Now these things I witnessed firsthand and can say, 'I don't really like CP (Coaches).    But I don't in any other way have some pretty strong feelings against the CP wrestling community.  Man people really like to jump from A to Z real quick.  Good luck CP.  I'll be rooting for your wrestling community. 

As a rat from da region I luv all da teams. CP is on top of da heep and of course dare will always be a rivalry. But remember when down in nap town us Rats need to stick together. Cheer on our fellow Rats - when a rat wrestles a a nutter Rat may da best Rat Win. Lets fill da brinks up and head back up 65 loaded to da gills. 

11 hours ago, TrueRegionFan said:

You’re exactly right.  all of those teams listed above has had multiple people move to win.  Who didn’t you list?

And 

9 hours ago, VisionQuest87 said:

What Part of this:

Means I have this:  "It appears you have some pretty strong feelings against the CP wrestling community."

In fact I said "love what their team is about to accomplish."  If you are talking about this sentence "Not going to lie, don't really like CP (not so much their fans or wrestlers but more their coaches)"  Yeah the conduct of their coaches annoys me a bit.  I saw the, I believe, head coach complain about a kid not getting 2 for a questionable call out of bounds when the kid was winning 12-0.  Also, lot of crying about where they could stand.  Now these things I witnessed firsthand and can say, 'I don't really like CP (Coaches).    But I don't in any other way have some pretty strong feelings against the CP wrestling community.  Man people really like to jump from A to Z real quick.  Good luck CP.  I'll be rooting for your wrestling community. 

And Vlink is a biased Ref and is a piece of ….His lame squad couldn’t win in the ‘90s . Ever. So now they’re good? Not because of the homegrown wrestlers. Kids move there because of the coaches. (not who you think )  Portage was good before them, but they used to be real.  Merrillville is a joke, wait until next year. Tug that Turkey, what a dirty way to win. Hobart and Chesterton have the respect they deserve. 
I’m sure it feels good, enjoy your lame win. 

3 hours ago, regionrat1 said:

As a rat from da region I luv all da teams. CP is on top of da heep and of course dare will always be a rivalry. But remember when down in nap town us Rats need to stick together. Cheer on our fellow Rats - when a rat wrestles a a nutter Rat may da best Rat Win. Let’s fill da brinks up and head back up 65 loaded to da gills. 

I root for all dem region rats.