Saving Your Best for When It Counts

I want to give credit to @Disco, as I saw this topic discussed on the college board, and figured I’d bring it here. How would you all feel if we saw more teams pick and choose regular season tournaments and hold out their best until the postseason? As Disco previously stated, on the Division I level we see that having 30+ matches is no longer necessary to win a championship in the postseason. The same could be said for the high school level, and with the depth of teams like Brownsburg, Crown Point, EMD, and Perry Meridian and some programs having “Varsity 2” teams, it would create an opportunity to allow teams to develop deeper, battle-tested rooms while also keeping starters fresh and giving them the proper time to nurse injuries or cut weight.

It's a shift in sports mentality.  Personally I don't like it, although I do understand it.

The focus now is getting to the top of the podium - as an individual or team. In the past, I feel as if other matches really counted (in-season tourneys, conference championship, county championship, local rivalry duals, etc) but more and more in both college and high school wrestling it is managing the participation to have the athlete at peak performance for the end of season run.

As you mentioned, there is a side benefit of developing other kids on the roster.  I know I am old fashioned but I'd like to see every healthy wrestler go out and wrestle at every opportunity.  If they are injured, then that's another story.  But healthy scratches -- just not for my liking

I think this is more relevant to the college or international level. In high school, ithink it’s advantageous to see or experience as many different types of wrestlers as you can, styles, what ever, to prepare for the all in Indiana post season. The intensity level of competition is no where near that of college. So the more the merrier for high school.  

Brownsburg and Crown Point has wrestled 3-4 state championship level events this year. They have 0 undeated wrestlers. Will pay dividends. If you have a high level age group kid = better of traveling every other weekend to find competition than staying local. It is like kissing your sister - you wrestle the same kids. Lots of kids will benefit more in a good room practice -then traveling sitting in a gym all day to wrestle 3 time for 2 minutes. 

7 hours ago, regionrat1 said:

Brownsburg and Crown Point has wrestled 3-4 state championship level events this year. They have 0 undeated wrestlers. Will pay dividends. If you have a high level age group kid = better of traveling every other weekend to find competition than staying local. It is like kissing your sister - you wrestle the same kids. Lots of kids will benefit more in a good room practice -then traveling sitting in a gym all day to wrestle 3 time for 2 minutes. 

Well said ! 💯

9 hours ago, regionrat1 said:

Could you translate that his to English?