Girls Regional/State Question

Galagore

The top 4 in each weight advance from ladies regional on Friday to state. What happens when weight classes are split into two brackets (A and B)? Do top four from each bracket advance? Or is it just the finalists from each bracket that advance?

Just realized that you can scroll a little further and see more brackets for champion, 3rd, and 5th.

Will they take the champion from A/B and wrestle for first, third from A/B wrestle for third, fifth from A/B wrestle for fifth?

The crossover usually works like this:  1st vs 1st  from each bracket would determine true 1st and 2nd.   2nd vs. 2nd from each bracket determine true 3rd and 4th.  3rd vs. 3rd from each bracket would determine first and second alternate. 

Edited by Matt Time

15 hours ago, Matt Time said:

The crossover usually works like this:  1st vs 1st  from each bracket would determine true 1st and 2nd.   2nd vs. 2nd from each bracket determine true 3rd and 4th.  3rd vs. 3rd from each bracket would determine first and second alternate. 

So essentially if you wrestle all the way back to 3rd you still don’t qualify for the state tournament? That’s just seems a bit silly to me. Why not add the girls who take 3rd or 4th in each bracket to still have a chance to qualify and not be an alternate 

1 hour ago, Chum_bailey said:

So essentially if you wrestle all the way back to 3rd you still don’t qualify for the state tournament? That’s just seems a bit silly to me. Why not add the girls who take 3rd or 4th in each bracket to still have a chance to qualify and not be an alternate 

Because they aren't 3rd or 4th overall throughout the whole weight class in that regional. It's basically taking a 32 man bracket and breaking it into two brackets cause of how daily match limitations.

On 1/5/2023 at 11:52 AM, littlevito said:

Because they aren't 3rd or 4th overall throughout the whole weight class in that regional. It's basically taking a 32 man bracket and breaking it into two brackets cause of how daily match limitations.

This still did not work.  At the NW regional at 113, a team refused to wrestle for the alternate spot because that would have been their 7th match of the night.  This system does not work and is not really fair.  I think we need to either have true wrestle backs and make this a 2 day tournament or have a sectional and a regional.  A third idea would be to rearrange the regionals and not base the regionals on semi-state.

Girls NW and SW regionals had 6 double brackets.  NE regional had 2 double brackets, while the SE only had 1.   

1 hour ago, McWrastlePants said:

Girls NW and SW regionals had 6 double brackets.  NE regional had 2 double brackets, while the SE only had 1.   

I had a girl go 4-1 in her "B" bracket.  Lost first round to the 3 seed, who went on to win the pool and the overall weight.  In wrestlebacks my wrestler defeated the #2 and #4 seed, but since she lost first round  she could not qualify.

It was a hard pill to swallow, but I understand that the huge numbers was part of the reason for this.  It stunk for me this year, but hopefully the large numbers are a good sign for the sport.

Edited by AJ

The answers have to be proper seeding and either 2 day or a sectional. Girls tournaments are going to continue to grow which will give us more h2h match ups and allow for a real seeding discussion or at least clarification. It is terrible that some girls that deserved a seed saw another girl that was seeded in the first round and had no chance to make it back. 

One of the best ideas I have heard is to run the boys and girls tournaments concurrently. Meaning you are at sectionals and have the boys/girls seeding meeting. This would not add much time as most would not have all that many girls amongst 8 teams BUT it would allow them to earn their place and move on. 98 girls start the day then 106 boys then 106 girls etc. No problem with referees being unavailable because they are already there and we are talking about adding a couple more hours AT MOST to a sectional that most of us leave by 1:30 and its the earliest tourney of the year. The girls could stay with the boys for regionals as well. Then for the semi-states you split them (more referees would be available at that point). 

Having to wrestle a 7th match at midnight on a Friday for an alternate spot cannot be the best we can do for the girls. 

Maybe just me, but don't care for the concurrent tournament idea at all and don't think it's feasible. Not sure what the IHSAA would say about it either since girls wrestling isn't sanctioned yet. Not sure what sectional is done by 1:30, Regional, maybe, but no sectional I have ever attended.  It's usually a pretty long day, especially for sectionals with 10 or more teams.

3 hours ago, djackson0944 said:

The answers have to be proper seeding and either 2 day or a sectional. Girls tournaments are going to continue to grow which will give us more h2h match ups and allow for a real seeding discussion or at least clarification. It is terrible that some girls that deserved a seed saw another girl that was seeded in the first round and had no chance to make it back. 

One of the best ideas I have heard is to run the boys and girls tournaments concurrently. Meaning you are at sectionals and have the boys/girls seeding meeting. This would not add much time as most would not have all that many girls amongst 8 teams BUT it would allow them to earn their place and move on. 98 girls start the day then 106 boys then 106 girls etc. No problem with referees being unavailable because they are already there and we are talking about adding a couple more hours AT MOST to a sectional that most of us leave by 1:30 and its the earliest tourney of the year. The girls could stay with the boys for regionals as well. Then for the semi-states you split them (more referees would be available at that point). 

Having to wrestle a 7th match at midnight on a Friday for an alternate spot cannot be the best we can do for the girls. 

The state is already short officials to do the sectional. Here’s a link so you can sign up. https://ihsaa.org/Officials/Licensing

1 hour ago, RAJR said:

Maybe just me, but don't care for the concurrent tournament idea at all and don't think it's feasible. Not sure what the IHSAA would say about it either since girls wrestling isn't sanctioned yet. Not sure what sectional is done by 1:30, Regional, maybe, but no sectional I have ever attended.  It's usually a pretty long day, especially for sectionals with 10 or more teams.

Just a brainstorm kinda thing. Idk what the answer is just I know it’s not midnight wrestling on a Friday night and 7 matches. Only way to change anything is to talk through things. So hard to add anything because asking referees to do anymore is crazy. 

I will start off first by saying to @littlevito, hats off my guy, huge task to take on doing rankings and seeds. Thanks for doing the best possible job given the info at your disposal. I am guessing those duties will be spread out moving forward. Thank you for spearheading it. 

The NW Regional was insane as far as time. Walked into my house from that Regional at 1:15am, and I gained an hour heading back home. Definitely room to improve, but in the end, the numbers were just way too much to handle. Talking with others in attendance, my ideal solution would be to add a third tier to this tournament next year. Sectional, Regional, State for next year. I think this could be a natural progression into the type of tournament it will be once it is sanctioned by the IHSAA and it more than likely adds a fourth tier like their boy counterparts. 

I definitely do not see this running with the boys, and it should not be in my opinion. That would be a disservice to these young ladies who deserve to be showcased on their own. Plus, based on the way IHSAA does things, highly unlikely. Hey, what a great problem to have though as the numbers continue to explode. Definitely see more growth in the future and excited to see where this will go!

While still in the growth phase, I'd argue in favor of keeping up to two per weight class . . . at least until we get to a three stage sectional/regional/state construct. Right now this is about building numbers and with the vast majority of competitors in the 113-138 range, it seems premature to limit. My five cents (two cents, adjusted for inflation).

Thoughts from today so far:

Parade of Champions- should wait for teams to be able to get their cheering. They went so fast. 

Mooresville was at capacity and handled it very well! All seats were full and there wasn’t any room to stand on the upper deck either. 

all things considered great job hosting and excited for the growth of the sport!