State Champions without a Semi-State, Regional, Sectional, or Conference Championship

blueandgold

I'm sure it has happened at some point.  The closest one I can think of off the top of my head was Josh Hardy from Princeton.  Lost to Jared Williams from Ev Harrison at Regional and Semi State and then beat Williams for the state title.  They were in different conferences and sectionals, but that's the closest I can think of.

2 hours ago, TeamGarcia said:

Asa Garcia - 2016 & 2018 

I always forget this. His 2018 title by far is one of the most impressive feats ever in Indiana in my opinion. To have three champions and a two-time runner-up in that weight, with three coming from the same Semi-State, and to WIN… Stuff of legend.

2 hours ago, blueandgold said:

I always forget this. His 2018 title by far is one of the most impressive feats ever in Indiana in my opinion. To have three champions and a two-time runner-up in that weight, with three coming from the same Semi-State, and to WIN… Stuff of legend.

Great battles with the great Ty Mills & Cayden Rooks though out Elementary, Middle School, got a little break with teammates with Mills in Middle School. Then the epic weekly battles with Mills throughout those 2 seasons of HS. Never a dull weekend back then . 2018 was my most memorable also. Yes ! That bracket was 🔥. All said and done they had 8 State Titles from those names in that bracket . 

Asa -3 

Rooks -2

Viduya -2 

Hall- 1 

I have to do some homework with official count of Runner Ups . Very impressive group of wrestlers . 

Edited by TeamGarcia

As a competitor obviously I would want to win every match but I wonder if guys that are in that situation might hold back a move or technique until the state finals. I realize that is a BIG gamble in some of these classes where there are 3 or 4 guys that could win the thing but if it were 2 guys that were head and shoulders above the rest I wonder if one would keep something in his back pocket and spring that trap under the lights?