Nick Lee GOAT?

Jayruss

Let’s also keep in mind that Nick was the #2 seed that split matches the #1 seed in 2020 when the tournament got canceled. And I’m very confident that Nick and Cael would have made the adjustments to avenge the B1G championship loss to Pletcher.

If Covid had held off one more week, we could very well be talking about a 3x NCAA champion.

3 hours ago, Caleb Spires said:

Let’s also keep in mind that Nick was the #2 seed that split matches the #1 seed in 2020 when the tournament got canceled. And I’m very confident that Nick and Cael would have made the adjustments to avenge the B1G championship loss to Pletcher.

If Covid had held off one more week, we could very well be talking about a 3x NCAA champion.

Except that he then would not have gotten the free year.

Last season should have been his last year of eligibility, but the NCAA gave everyone a free season last year because of the Covid cancellation in 2020.

5 hours ago, SIACfan said:

Except that he then would not have gotten the free year.

Last season should have been his last year of eligibility, but the NCAA gave everyone a free season last year because of the Covid cancellation in 2020.

You’re absolutely right. I was thinking of 2020 as his sophomore season instead of junior for some reason.

On 3/21/2022 at 3:57 PM, SIACfan said:

But in international wrestling there is a 70 kg (154 lb) class, that is what SWINfan was alluding to. The Olympics have less weight classes than other international wrestling events.

But I have no idea as to which class any of these guys will go. Very tough to make the USA team regardless. If Lee makes one he will have earned it.

Yes, but 70kg isn't an Olympic weight.  Those guys may go 70 kg in '22 and '23, but they will be at 65 kg in '24

• 4 months later...

A little late on this one, but I keep some stats on NCAA wrestling and I just updated my list of all-time leading individual scorers at the NCAA tourney.

Among Indiana greats, Nick Lee tops the list ranked 74th with 74 points (go figure). Next is Andrew Howe ranked 92nd with 71 points, and finally Angel Escobedo ranks 167th with 63.5 points.

All of these ranks/totals are using the current scoring rules. Though I do not think that impacts any of their totals.

One could go woth the Mount Rushmore ranking system.  I think most, if not all, would go with Lee, Howe, and Escobedo on the Indiana Wrestling Mount Rushmore...  but who gets the fourth spot? Reece?  Kelvin Jackson?   Lefever?