MD Holiday Classic

md85

2 hours ago, Jayruss said:

I am impressed by Evansville Memorial 120 Landon Horning, how did he do in middle school and why is this the first time I’ve heard his name ?

Solid wrestler who puts the work in. He's done well in middle school. Off to a solid HS career. Already has wins over 2 ranked seniors(King and Zirkelbach)  Hes going to mess up someone's brackets if they overlook him. 

Entering the 2nd day:

Evansville Mater Dei - 109 // 13 remaining (9 Championship, 4 Consolation)

Perry Meridian - 98 // 12 remaining  (4 Championship, 8 Consolation)

Union County - 93 // 11 remaining (7 Championship, 4 Consolation)

Roncalli - 91 // 11 remaining (5 Championship, 6 Consolation)

Floyd Central - 75.5 // 8 remaining (5 Championship, 3 Consolation)

Franklin - 66 // 8 remaining (3 Championship, 5 Consolation)

Edited by Indysportsfan

2nd day update (after semi-final matches, down to final 6 per weight):

Evansville Mater Dei - 208 // 11 remaining ( 6 Championship, 5 Consolation)

Roncalli - 169 // 10 remaining ( 4 Championship, 6 Consolation)

Union County - 158.5 // 10 remaining ( 4 Championship, 6 Consolation)

Perry Meridian - 156 // 9 remaining  ( 3 Championship, 6 Consolation)

Floyd Central - 116 // 6 remaining ( 3 Championship, 3 Consolation)

Franklin - 88.5 // 5 remaining ( 1 Championship, 4 Consolation)

1 hour ago, navy80 said:

The Raney kids can wrestle. One is defending state champ I believe as a 7th grader. 

That's correct.  Both 8th graders now.  Jordyn, a little heavier won the KY 106 lb Title last year.  

Both won in the final, Jayden with an 11-2 major over Schaefer and Jordyn with a 4-0 win over Evan Seng.  

Edited by SWINfan

1 hour ago, SWINfan said:

That's correct.  Both 8th graders now.  Jordyn, a little heavier won the KY 106 lb Title last year.  

Both won in the final, Jayden with an 11-2 major over Schaefer and Jordyn with a 4-0 win over Evan Seng.  

I do not know rule but can 8th graders compete in high school tournaments in Indiana. If so, why doesn’t some Indiana schools have 8th graders on their roster?  Might help to fill some lower weight classes. Not trying to cause an issue but as I understood it we couldn’t have 8th graders competing in High school events. Just curious🤷🏽‍♂️

Both Brody Baumann and Gabe Sollars wore a big, heavy knee brace.  Neither looked like they had their normal explosiveness.  Brody was able to manage an 8-3 win over Codei Khawaja.  And Sollars lost 9-2 to Stephan Little of Union Ky.  Not to make excuses as both of those opponents are good and both are nationally ranked on Flo, but Sollars - Little past matches have been closer, with Sollars winning at least once.  

Both, with the braces, just seemed a little slower on their feet than I have seen in the past.  Will watch how that progresses during the season.

14 minutes ago, Brey said:

I do not know rule but can 8th graders compete in high school tournaments in Indiana. If so, why doesn’t some Indiana schools have 8th graders on their roster?  Might help to fill some lower weight classes. Not trying to cause an issue but as I understood it we couldn’t have 8th graders competing in High school events. Just curious🤷🏽‍♂️

No, 8th graders can't compete in Indiana.  Some tournaments will allow teams from out of state where they are allowed.  I think KY may be the only state nearby that allows it.  I know Minnesota does, but not sure about IL, OH or MI

Isn't that lovely they cut the Flo/TW video in the middle of the 285 match.  Johnson led 3-2 in the 3rd period.  Video comes back up about 30 seconds later with James Ralph leading 7-4.  Ralph closes it out, but those of us at home completely miss what happened.  Thanks for that!!!!

Edit: Video disappeared from 1:15 left to :37 left, missing an apparent takedown and 3 back points, with Johnson getting an escape right before the video came back.  

Edited by SWINfan

45 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Both Brody Baumann and Gabe Sollars wore a big, heavy knee brace.  Neither looked like they had their normal explosiveness.  Brody was able to manage an 8-3 win over Codei Khawaja.  And Sollars lost 9-2 to Stephan Little of Union Ky.  Not to make excuses as both of those opponents are good and both are nationally ranked on Flo, but Sollars - Little past matches have been closer, with Sollars winning at least once.  

Both, with the braces, just seemed a little slower on their feet than I have seen in the past.  Will watch how that progresses during the season.

I thought they both looked fine throughout the tourney. Good lateral movement and I believe at once, Baumann match stopped with potentially dangerous on that leg. 

Baumann done well against the #2 ranked wrestler and just kinda cruised. I said before the Sollars match with friends there, Sollars will lose to Little who just looked more complete through tourney. 

5 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

I thought they both looked fine throughout the tourney. Good lateral movement and I believe at once, Baumann match stopped with potentially dangerous on that leg. 

Baumann done well against the #2 ranked wrestler and just kinda cruised. I said before the Sollars match with friends there, Sollars will lose to Little who just looked more complete through tourney. 

I guess we'll agree to disagree.  I didn't see the explosiveness I've seen in the past from either.   Last time Sollars and Little met it was freestyle and 12-12 and lots of action.  Nowhere near that much action today.  Not sure what's going on, but I'd confidently say they ain't wearing those big braces for nuthin'

12 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

I guess we'll agree to disagree.  I didn't see the explosiveness I've seen in the past from either.   Last time Sollars and Little met it was freestyle and 12-12 and lots of action.  Nowhere near that much action today.  Not sure what's going on, but I'd confidently say they ain't wearing those big braces for nuthin'

Stephen Little was an absolute beast. No shame in losing to a nationally ranked kid, knee brace or no brace. Few more seconds and it looked like the match was heading for a pin. 

15 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

You quite possibly not going to see another of points in folkstyle with competitors like these 4. One mistake and it could be counting lights. Sollars had a hard time getting in on what I thought was a bigger Little. Little then used that size to counter and score as the match score indicated. 

Baumann possibly could've done more but was content with the speed of the match in my opinion. 

Just now, 1prouddad said:

You quite possibly not going to see another of points in folkstyle with competitors like these 4. One mistake and it could be counting lights. Sollars had a hard time getting in on what I thought was a bigger Little. Little then used that size to counter and score as the match score indicated. 

Baumann possibly could've done more but was content with the speed of the match in my opinion. 

OK

6 minutes ago, SIwrestling said:

Stephen Little was an absolute beast. No shame in losing to a nationally ranked kid, knee brace or no brace. Few more seconds and it looked like the match was heading for a pin. 

Nope no shame at all. Never insinuated there was.  They've battled before.  I just didn't see the same in Sollars I have in the past.  That's all. No excuses.  No judgement. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.