Michigan at Penn State this Friday

No surprise Michigan takes the first two matches.  

@125 Drew Mattin wins 6-0 over Devin Schnupp (minor victory for PSU avoiding bonus points
@133 Stevan Micic handles a game Scott Stossel with 20-5 TF.  Early in the 1st period, Stossel got in on Micic's leg and had it shelved above his shoulder but Micic battled out of it and eventually got the takedown.  8-0 Michigan after 2 bouts.

3 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

Nick up against Storr

quick takedown and cut 2-0 then Storr in on a nice shot and Nick scrambles out and gets the takedown. Then rides him out. Riding time 2:06 after 1

4-1

That was a crazy scramble by Lee after Storr had a grip on the ankle pick.  Impressive

Nice win for Nick, 10-4 w/ riding time.  Couldn't get a TD in the 2nd period when Storr scrambled out of bounds and again late after letting him up to go for the major.  3 of Storr's 4 pts were on escapes Lee gave him.  The 4th was a legit escape.

8-3 Michigan after 3

Edited by SWINfan

Nolf is just dominating and so fun to watch.  He beats Panteleo 9-2 and was never really challenged.  Nolf now has dominating wins over the #2, #3 and $5 wrestlers and none of those matches were ever in doubt.
That bow and arrow he used to put Panteleo on his back was brutal and beautiful at the same time!

Michigan 11 Penn State 6 at the intermission. 

Edited by SWINfan

25 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Nice win for Nick, 10-4 w/ riding time.  Couldn't get a TD in the 2nd period when Storr scrambled out of bounds and again late after letting him up to go for the major.  3 of Storr's 4 pts were on escapes Lee gave him.  The 4th was a legit escape.

8-3 Michigan after 3

Flo had Storr ranked 5 going in and Lee at 7. Nick should move up a spot, maybe two. A complete win. Storr never looked like getting back in it once he trailed.

2 minutes ago, wrestlenewbie said:

Flo had Storr ranked 5 going in and Lee at 7. Nick should move up a spot, maybe two. A complete win. Storr never looked like getting back in it once he trailed.

Intermat had them the same.  It didn't make sense to me.  Storr got hammered by Joey McKenna 18-3 last Friday night and is 17-3.  Lee lost once to now #9 Tristan Moran (Wisconsin) in sudden victory and is 19-1?  The rankings were from this week, not before McKenna's beatdown. After Lee's loss to Moran, they also dropped him below Josh Alber.  Alber has lost 4 times this year and lost twice last year to Lee.  Lee should have been and should continue to be #5 until he faces Illinois and Mike Carr on Feb 17 (unless he gets pounded by McKenna next week).  If he wrestles to McKenna to a decision, a loss shouldn't drop him.  

Vencenzo Joseph just finds ways to win.  A somewhat boring match ends regulation at 2-2 (1 escape, 1 hands to face penalty for each) and goes to sudden victory.  Joseph attacks late and gets behind Massa but Massa remained standing.  Joseph finds a way to take him to the mat with :01 left in SV to get the 4-2 win.

Michigan 11 - 9 after 6 matches

Mark Hall is steady as always and gets a 4-2 win over Myles Amine.  Nolf, Joseph and Hall never seem to be in trouble even when someone gets in deep on a shot.  There is no panic and they seem to find a way to come out on top of most any scramble.

Penn State 12-11 after 7 matches.  Michigan needs an upset from Jelani Embree to keep the match close enough for Mason's match to be the decider like last Friday night at OSU.

Shakur Rasheed, for someone having a minor issue causing him to miss last weekend, is wearing a helluva big brace on his knee.  It extends all the way to his ankle.  Embree put up a great battle but falls just short as Rasheed holds on for a 5-3 decision.

Penn State 15 Michigan 11 with 2 matches to go

Bo Nickal does what Bo does and gets the fall.  He led 14-4 with almost 4 minutes of riding time before locking up the cradle and putting Striggow away.  

Penn State 21 -11

Mason Parris up next!

Cassar just owning this match so far.  Hits a blast double and takes Mason straight to his back.  Mason bridges out flipping Cassar on top of the referee to get the escape.  Four backs make it 6-1.  Cassar takes him down again quickly and Mason gets out to make it 8-2.  Parris shows no quit and gets a quick takedown to make it 8-4.  He let's Cassar up and Cassar returns the favor with another quick takedown.  All in the first period.  1st period ends at 11-4 Cassar.

Mason gets out quickly in the 2nd.  :59 of riding time for Cassar at this point.  Another single leg TD for Cassar to make it 13-5.  Out again and Cassar with a quick go behind.  Parris slowing a bit.  Another escape and the  2nd period ends 15-7. 

Parris on top to start the 3rd and Cassar out quickly.  16-7.  Cassar just much quicker to the legs, which is usually Mason's calling card.  Cassar shoots and gets in deep on a double but Mason hips out.  Mason shoots but can't get enough of the single leg and Cassar with a quick go behind.  With riding time, it ends 19-8 for a major decision for Cassar.  

This was a good match for Mason because it shows how much work he has to do to compete at the top and gives him some good stuff to work on.  Cassar just has a combination of speed and strength that few have.  He's also a 5th year guy.

Final Penn State 25-11.  Lots of good matches, closer than the score indicates IMO

Edited by SWINfan

13 hours ago, SWINfan said:

8-3 Michigan after 3

Not bad for Nick considering he is just recovering from the flu. Upcoming match is gonna be a good one and hope Nick is 100%. 

On 2/1/2019 at 7:15 PM, SWINfan said:

Intermat had them the same.  It didn't make 3-2) sense to me.  Storr got hammered by Joey McKenna 18-3 last Friday night and is 17-3.  Lee lost once to now #9 Tristan Moran (Wisconsin) in sudden victory and is 19-1?  The rankings were from this week, not before McKenna's beatdown. After Lee's loss to Moran, they also dropped him below Josh Alber.  Alber has lost 4 times this year and lost twice last year to Lee.  Lee should have been and should continue to be #5 until he faces Illinois and Mike Carr on Feb 17 (unless he gets pounded by McKenna next week).  If he wrestles to McKenna to a decision, a loss shouldn't drop him.  

It seemed puzzling to me as well. But in the rankers defense, Storr's 3 losses were to #3 Eierman (TB2 3-2), #4 Carr (3-2) & #2 McKenna (TF 18-3). I suppose the rankers were thinking what I had been, that McKenna has looked as though he has really elevated his wrestling this year. He looks like he is going to be really tough to unseat as the Big10 champ. Can he unseat Diakomihalis?

It was nice to see Lee control the match as well as he did. Certainly showed that he is moving in the right direction. That scramble was especially nice to see. I think in the past he might have conceded the TD there to protect against getting in trouble. It looked to me as a sign that his confidence is growing and he is now less willing to concede anything.👍

On 2/1/2019 at 6:25 PM, SWINfan said:

No surprise Michigan takes the first two matches.  

@125 Drew Mattin wins 6-0 over Devin Schnupp (minor victory for PSU avoiding bonus points
@133 Stevan Micic handles a game Scott Stossel with 20-5 TF.  Early in the 1st period, Stossel got in on Micic's leg and had it shelved above his shoulder but Micic battled out of it and eventually got the takedown.  8-0 Michigan after 2 bouts.

Micic has looked awfully impressive this year. But after seeing Lee handle Storr the way he did, how cool would a Lee-Micic rematch have been?

I would still have to give Micic the edge, but I can't help but think Lee would have a decent chance. It would at least be extremely interesting for Indiana wrestling fans.

On 2/1/2019 at 7:15 PM, SWINfan said:

Intermat had them the same.  It didn't make sense to me.  Storr got hammered by Joey McKenna 18-3 last Friday night and is 17-3.  Lee lost once to now #9 Tristan Moran (Wisconsin) in sudden victory and is 19-1?  The rankings were from this week, not before McKenna's beatdown. After Lee's loss to Moran, they also dropped him below Josh Alber.  Alber has lost 4 times this year and lost twice last year to Lee.  Lee should have been and should continue to be #5 until he faces Illinois and Mike Carr on Feb 17 (unless he gets pounded by McKenna next week).  If he wrestles to McKenna to a decision, a loss shouldn't drop him.  

Flo actually had Lee above Alber after Lee lost to Moran. It was only after Alber beat Eirman a week or two later when Eirman was ranked 2 that Flo moved Alber ahead of Lee in the rankings. So it makes sense to me. Lee had just lost to the only ranked wrestler he had faced. Now that he thoroughly controlled a match against a higher ranked wrestler I think the Moran loss looks less important. 

3 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

Flo actually had Lee above Alber after Lee lost to Moran. It was only after Alber beat Eirman a week or two later when Eirman was ranked 2 that Flo moved Alber ahead of Lee in the rankings. So it makes sense to me. Lee had just lost to the only ranked wrestler he had faced. Now that he thoroughly controlled a match against a higher ranked wrestler I think the Moran loss looks less important. 

Not to mention Moran pinned Mitchell McKee after beating Lee.