Grow the Sport

Darrick Snyder

#GlowSticks!!!! Fluorescent singlets under the blacklight would be #sweet!! I dunno..if u gotta keep bringing out shiny trinkets and smoke machines at some point you run out of cool stuff, no? I know the millenials gotta be entertained but the vid is 1 vs 2..does that do anything if its Modesto vs Simi Valley or would it be that stuff with 50 people? I think the matchup does as much as the promotion.

Yeah I'm a #CubFan ticked at the world right now maybe tomorrow ill be on board with the #ThunderSticks.

UncleJimmy,

1.) Yes #1 vs. #2 in the state obviously helps. The point is if you have 50 do something to make it 100 and then 150 and so on. My first year as head coach here we placed 5th in the conference and had one state qualifier who got hammered Friday night. We were very average on our best day, but we did some simple things different and had a larger crowd than my administration had ever seen - that was straight from them.

2.). You can reuse ideas. Trust me I've been doing the DJ thing for years - my teams love it and so do the students. I have a ton of students in class asking - "Mr. Snyder are you getting that same guy. He was sick". Plus, it isn't hard to come up with cool stuff. I have a whole lot more to unleash and I have been at this for a bit.

3.). Sorry about the Cubs. I'm a bears fan so I understand depression and disappointment.

We are not football or basketball so grow the sport.

#PainTrain

Snyder

UncleJimmy,

1.) Yes #1 vs. #2 in the state obviously helps. The point is if you have 50 do something to make it 100 and then 150 and so on. My first year as head coach here we placed 5th in the conference and had one state qualifier who got hammered Friday night. We were very average on our best day, but we did some simple things different and had a larger crowd than my administration had ever seen - that was straight from them.

2.). You can reuse ideas. Trust me I've been doing the DJ thing for years - my teams love it and so do the students. I have a ton of students in class asking - "Mr. Snyder are you getting that same guy. He was sick". Plus, it isn't hard to come up with cool stuff. I have a whole lot more to unleash and I have been at this for a bit.

3.). Sorry about the Cubs. I'm a bears fan so I understand depression and disappointment.

We are not football or basketball so grow the sport.

#PainTrain

Snyder

I think what you do is awesome and gets fans in the stands . I've been to quite a few matches at Mish , when you were doing pre- match things that nobody else was doing . The gym was electric and you would get goosebumps just walking in . This is 40 minutes before the first match . Makes me want to drive down for a Brownsburg - Avon match . 

Edited by M109R

Too many super duals or invitation style tournaments. Need more regular duals. Why are football and basketball games heavily attended? It's because you have one fanbase vs another to build a rivalry type atmosphere. Have a set day or days each week like football Friday nights. The team duals need to be featured just as much as individual events.

I know a guy from lowell Michigan. He told me that they hold their rival dual meet in the middle of the day. They have all the students go to the gym and its an atmosphere like no other. Things like that and what Darrick Snyder has done for the program is what builds this sports. 

Edited by thewrestler21

Too many super duals or invitation style tournaments. Need more regular duals. Why are football and basketball games heavily attended? It's because you have one fanbase vs another to build a rivalry type atmosphere. Have a set day or days each week like football Friday nights. The team duals need to be featured just as much as individual events.

Even more so the two day dual events are big time killers. You even lose parents at those events.

Even more so the two day dual events are big time killers. You even lose parents at those events.

Yes indeed. I'd like having a Tuesday and Thursday team dual schedule. I also think conferences could align a schedule where the better teams can face off towards the end of the team dual schedule. I'm sure that wouldn't necessarily be economical on the travel budget. Also the whole IHSAA schedule mandates hurt as well.

Yes indeed. I'd like having a Tuesday and Thursday team dual schedule. I also think conferences could align a schedule where the better teams can face off towards the end of the team dual schedule. I'm sure that wouldn't necessarily be economical on the travel budget. Also the whole IHSAA schedule mandates hurt as well.

First off, I think the IHSAA should limit the 2 day events. After the first one the rest of them should count as 4 schedule points.

Secondly, I'm not the biggest fan of the Tuesday/Thursday thing from a coaching standpoint. It pretty much makes the week worthless as Monday and Wednesday are lighter practices in regards to teaching and technique. Most kids aren't fans of making weight like that either even if they aren't cutting any weight.

More weeknight duals are good, but at the same time teams need to have good matches scheduled in order to draw fans. Fans won't come out to see a bunch of forfeits or a blowout. It's quite a tightrope to walk in order to get things going.

Just to piggyback off of what Snyder is saying, take a look at this match from that dual.  It'll give you chills with how electric everything is from the lights turned down, lasers flashing, fans going nuts, cheerleaders, a lady announcing and doing a little commentary over the mic, etc. Little things during a dual that is evenly matched makes it that much more exciting to be a part of. I've witnessed first hand being a part of the Penn-Mishawaka rivalry, that little things go a long way in getting more fans and students to attend.

PMHS,

We are thrilled to have the opportunity to wrestle Perry Meridian in a dual.  I have heard that Perry puts on a show.  We are so excited to be a part of it!

Everyone,

At Mishawaka, we used to always have a great, friendly rivalry.  The host used to try to "one up" the other in excitement for the dual.  They did a light show, we did a DJ, etc.

Just be ready Perry - I will steal your ideas to make our future duals more exciting!

Anyone that can make it happen, I encourage you to try to have a regular Friday Night Dual.  We did that with Lowell, MI and it led to so many more students.  I have not been able to make it work at Brownsburg due to basketball games on nearly every Friday we could have a dual.

#PainTrain

Snyder

First off, I think the IHSAA should limit the 2 day events. After the first one the rest of them should count as 4 schedule points.

Secondly, I'm not the biggest fan of the Tuesday/Thursday thing from a coaching standpoint. It pretty much makes the week worthless as Monday and Wednesday are lighter practices in regards to teaching and technique. Most kids aren't fans of making weight like that either even if they aren't cutting any weight.

More weeknight duals are good, but at the same time teams need to have good matches scheduled in order to draw fans. Fans won't come out to see a bunch of forfeits or a blowout. It's quite a tightrope to walk in order to get things going.

Understand your point on having two week day events. Still think one of those two days would be beneficial to mark as wrestling ' s day. Also agree on the forfeits as well.

Are Wednesday's not known as "wrestling's day"?  I know in our area, that is the sport that has events every Wednesday and rarely does the DAC schedule basketball games on Wednesday's because it is known as such.  We also are odd and have 6 Wednesday duals during our season so maybe I am out of touch with the rest of the state, imagine that being a Chicago sports fan.

Are Wednesday's not known as "wrestling's day"?  I know in our area, that is the sport that has events every Wednesday and rarely does the DAC schedule basketball games on Wednesday's because it is known as such.  We also are odd and have 6 Wednesday duals during our season so maybe I am out of touch with the rest of the state, imagine that being a Chicago sports fan.

I'm not sure how many districts are like mine, but we have a long standing rule that no sporting competitions are schedule for Wednesday and all sports practices must end by 6, to allow for "family time" that evening.   Which is a way of circumventing the church and state rules, since its mostly so kids can attend their local church youth groups or choir practices that evening.  

I'm not sure how many districts are like mine, but we have a long standing rule that no sporting competitions are schedule for Wednesday and all sports practices must end by 6, to allow for "family time" that evening.   Which is a way of circumventing the church and state rules, since its mostly so kids can attend their local church youth groups or choir practices that evening.  

Sometimes I hate how dumb our country is...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.