Top Ten Indiana Teams... Ever?

wrealwrestler101

I haven't seen as much as I thought I would about it, but after the conclusion of the IHSAA State Finals, the Warren Central Warriors were crowned your 2016 Team State Champions. Jim Tonte has done a tremendous job over the years at Perry Meridian, and instantly made his mark at Warren with a team title. Hats off to him, but more importantly, the Warriors looked dominant and broke the IHSAA team points record previously held by Tonte at Perry Meridian just three years ago. It made me think, this could be one of the best teams Indiana has ever seen. They boasted a 12-1 record, and dominated pretty much every individual tournament. So, I compiled a list of my personal favorite teams over the years to watch. Please feel free to post your favorites. What would some match-ups between these teams look like?

10. Lawrence North, 1992 (Based upon the individual strength of the "Fab 4.")

9. Warren Central, 2016

8. Perry Meridian, 2013 (28-0, 8/14 Qualifiers, one 7th place, two 5th place-winners, four finalists, three champions.)

7. Crown Point, 2009

6. Lawrence North, 2004

5. Perry Meridian, 2012 (27-0, 9/14 Qualifiers, two 7th place-winners, one 4th place, two 3rd place, two runner-ups, one champion.)

4. Lawrence North, 2005 (29-0, an unstoppable run led by 3-time Champ Reece Humphrey.)

3. Mishawaka, 2010 (10/14 Qualifiers, 10 All-State, 2 runner-ups in Beck and Lentz.)

2. Evansville Mater Dei, 2002 (Four finalists, one champion.)

1. Evansville Mater Dei, 2003 (NO QUESTION. 10/14 Qualifiers, two 3rd place-winners, five finalists, four champions.)

Edited by wrealwrestler101

I believe a few years back we had an article on here or at least a well organized post that talked about the top team in Indiana history and used some stats to try to rank them.  Someone maybe able to bring that one back up.  

Based on some of the points that were made earlier are we talking best "Tournament" team rather than dual meet team.   In that case the 2003 Griffith squad with Alex TsirtsisAngel EscobedoAndre Hernandez, David Martin III, Jose Escobedo, Santana Adams and a few other semi-state qualifiers should be close to the top 10.  If it wasn't for the juggernaut of EMD that year that team would be one of the most talked about of all time.  

Edited by MattM

I believe a few years back we had an article on here that talked about the top team in Indiana history and used some stats to try to rank them.  Someone maybe able to bring that one back up.  

Based on some of the points that were made earlier are we talking best "Tournament" team rather than dual meet team.   In that case the 2003 Griffith squad with Alex TsirtsisAngel EscobedoAndre Hernandez, David Martin III, Jose Escobedo, Santana Adams and a few other semi-state qualifiers should be close to the top 10.  If it wasn't for the juggernaut of EMD that year that team would be one of the most talked about of all time.  

Three NCAA All-Americans on that team.

You'd have to ask Coach Tonte or Coach Schoettle to confirm the validation of this statement.... But, I believe if they would have scored 2013 Perry Meridian first round points at the State Tournament that year, PM would still hold the record for most team points scored in a single state finals.

Regardless, congratulations to the Warren Central Warriors on being crowned IHSAA state champions! It's a very difficult tournament to win as an individual and as a team as well, and they got the job done.

And under the current scoring system, the 03 MD blows them out of the water there as well.

As for the 92 LN team, that team had 4 individuals.  That's it.  No way that was a top 10 all time "team".

The bold part of your statement is not entirely true, though it would depend on your definition of blowing a team out of the water.  If my math is correct, the teams are only separated by 7.5 total points. I scored it 142-134.5. MD 03 vs. Perry 13

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.