Frankfort Sectional

CollinsWrestler

Clinton central is the team I noticed getting some curiously good seeds. In general, the seeding at many weights is borderline inexplicable. Great win/loss records don't mean much if they haven't wrestled competitive schedules. There will be a ton of "upsets" at this sectional

By first glance Clinton Praire got some pretty generous draws imo

Yes, I also noticed that! Clinton Praire might have some solid records and wrestlers... But they do have the 312th ranked strength of schedule, so I predict that there will be some "upsets" early on in this tournament! Edited by Novice Bat

Clinton central is the team I noticed getting some curiously good seeds. In general, the seeding at many weights is borderline inexplicable. Great win/loss records don't mean much if they haven't wrestled competitive schedules. There will be a ton of "upsets" at this sectional

New Pal, Greenfield Central, New Castle, Lafayette Jeff, Western, Hamilton Heights, Pendleton Heights, Kokomo

Those aren't competitive?

Also, one was a semi-state quarter finalist a year ago and and another is a 2x Regional guy.  

Not going to bash CC wrestling, as they've produced some high quality individuals over the years, which is especially impressive considering how small the school is.

However, despite the teams CC wrestled this year, it's no secret that the big schools from Hamilton County have faced much, much stiffer competition. Mennen is very tough. He is long and skilled, but Strueder is a returning state qualifier. Yes, he was in as an alternate, but Mennen was a ticket rounder largely due to facing an alternate at new castle. No insult there, just the truth.

At the other weight, similar records among several wrestlers, but, again, the Hamilton County guys and Lebanon faced really difficult schedules. Hutson is a 2x semistate qualifier. So, this is no hatefest against the Dogs. I have a lot of respect for the program. I just don't understand the seeds at most of the weight classes

When the top two guys are on the same side of the bracket at sectional it creates quite a domino affect throughout the rest of the state series.

The top two guys will finish 1st and 3rd at sectional. Thus the third placer gets a runner-up from the other sectional in the first round of regional. If he survives that match he then will have the 1st place guy in the semi-finals and thus they will again finish 1st and 3rd at regional.

I saw a kid last year get a top seed based solely on a record of something like 8-2 and it forced the top two guys to the bottom bracket. They finished 1st and 3rd. At regional the 3rd placer had a much tougher match by facing a sectional runner-up and saw the runner-up(a kid he had beaten) advance to semi-state over another opponent he beat during the season. It's hard to not feel for kids who do well only to be hurt by coaches with weak schedules and inflated records.

When the top two guys are on the same side of the bracket at sectional it creates quite a domino affect throughout the rest of the state series.

The top two guys will finish 1st and 3rd at sectional. Thus the third placer gets a runner-up from the other sectional in the first round of regional. If he survives that match he then will have the 1st place guy in the semi-finals and thus they will again finish 1st and 3rd at regional.

I saw a kid last year get a top seed based solely on a record of something like 8-2 and it forced the top two guys to the bottom bracket. They finished 1st and 3rd. At regional the 3rd placer had a much tougher match by facing a sectional runner-up and saw the runner-up(a kid he had beaten) advance to semi-state over another opponent he beat during the season. It's hard to not feel for kids who do well only to be hurt by coaches with weak schedules and inflated records.

What do you do as a coach at the bigger school and run into a quandary..  Do you try to schedule the small schools so you can get some head to head matchups for seeding,  but you end up sacrificing the opportunity of  wrestling tougher teams and hurt your strength of schedule.   Also, some of these small schools don't want anything to do with wrestling bigger schools.   I think this is why you see so much 3A vs 1A matchups in Indiana.   Back in my old wrestling days in another state that had classed wrestling,  I wrestled at a big school and we would have never scheduled a 1A size school.

A final comment. Mennen was spared facing a state top 10 opponent due to the presence of an alternate. Therefore, he was a ticket rounder due to the unexpected scratch of Bryant. Mennen is very good and is a dark horse candidate to be a state qualifier. It's just disconcerting to see teams that have wrestled brutal schedules get punished by suspect seeding.

Sounds like your "brutal schedule" might be too much if your not satisfied with the records/results. Every wrestler faces "Better opponents" throughout the season- big and small schools alike. In the end they have to wrestle and win to get the records/results.

Aside from the wrestling which has been great, Frankfort has done an outstanding job with the tournament. That finals introduction was great!

I would like to echo the praise for the finals introductions.  I think dressing our sport up like that can only help it grow.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.