Micic vs. Lee in semis is DIRTY!

BrennanFan

I was thinking the same thing. Is there any other weight classes that have the overall season ranked 1 and 2 seeds on the same side. And both of them undefeated for the season as well

152 has the undefeated #1 and #2 on the same side.

106, 113, 120, and 195 also have #1 and #2 on the same side, but not both are undefeated in any of them.

A few years back I remember a couple of undefeated wrestlers meeting in the semis.  Returning state champ Nick Walpole and Andrew Howe.  Luck of the draw stinks somtimes.  It was a great match!  Must be a Hanover Central thing.

i wouldnt call it a flaw so much it just how the seeds work and to become a state champion you do have to beat the best anyways right? and i guarantee whoever makes it to the finals will have another good match i mean come on its the state finals every mat you look at pretty much has a good match happening on it

I'm sure they thought that about the finals match last year with Davis and Micic, and that turned out to be a pretty good one. In 2011 everyone thought the hands down favorite was either Sliga or Stevenson at 189 and Goldman ended up winning the weight class.

Sorry but it's never going to change because it would still be in imperfect system.  In this weight class there is a clear cut Number 1 and 2 but in many other weight classes it's not that easy to determine.  Take 106 for example.  I think one loss Reitz is the #1 in this class but i'm pretty sure Cathedral coaches would love to argue that their undefeated Bailey should be seeded #1.

So you would have to determine seeds, in a meeting with coaches from all over the state in an already short week where someone will always be unhappy. 

I guess we need to be greaful that Micic and Lee get to meet in the Semis rather then Friday night. 

Sorry but it's never going to change because it would still be in imperfect system.  In this weight class there is a clear cut Number 1 and 2 but in many other weight classes it's not that easy to determine.  Take 106 for example.  I think one loss Reitz is the #1 in this class but i'm pretty sure Cathedral coaches would love to argue that their undefeated Bailey should be seeded #1.

So you would have to determine seeds, in a meeting with coaches from all over the state in an already short week where someone will always be unhappy. 

I guess we need to be greaful that Micic and Lee get to meet in the Semis rather then Friday night.

I agree it would be impossible to seed most weights. Could you imagine that seeding meeting?

I was thinking the same thing. Is there any other weight classes that have the overall season ranked 1 and 2 seeds on the same side. And both of them undefeated for the season as well

Lee might be ranked #2, but even if you did seed it, he probably would of not even got the #2 seed depending  on seeding criteria.  For example Ohio seeds its wrestlers by districts and the criteria they use is placement in  prior state tournament.  Say Indiana used a seeding criteria similar to that,  wouldnt Chastain still be  seeded ahead of him and maybe the Fort Wayne Kid.    Seeding might of insured him the four seed and he wouldnt of had even the 67% of getting put on the opposite bracket.

It is what it is now.  I don't care when I get to see the match, I just WANT to see it! You can't argue that the entertainment value would be higher in the Finals, however I don't think it is affecting attendance because it is not.  Keep in mind that there is also 13 other weight classes that have some pretty good potential match ups.  I personally think the bigger match should be Forte/Lecount based on their last meeting.  It seems as it will be an entertaining match to watch once again.  The Micic-Lee match up is a lot of unknowns, it could be lopsided one way or another and a complete let down.  With that being said, I am setting my line at Micic -4.

This whole bracket thing in the state of Indiana is all wrong. You will never have the true top 16 going to states with out having a wrestle back to a true third and 4 th place finisher. There should also be a wrestle back in states to get the true top 8. Half of the wrestlers are out on Friday and chances are that some of them would be in the top 8 if they had a chance to wrestle back in the losers bracket. It is totally wrong and degrading to these athletes who work so hard all year to get to this point. They need the chance to finish in their true placing. Indiana is one of the only 2 states in the country who do not allow wrestle backs at this level. All the coaches and parents should be writing letters to the wrestling association to express this issue. It is totally wrong. Come on everyone get involved and speak up and lets get this thing changed for our your and talented wrestlers! 

This whole bracket thing in the state of Indiana is all wrong. You will never have the true top 16 going to states with out having a wrestle back to a true third and 4 th place finisher. There should also be a wrestle back in states to get the true top 8. Half of the wrestlers are out on Friday and chances are that some of them would be in the top 8 if they had a chance to wrestle back in the losers bracket. It is totally wrong and degrading to these athletes who work so hard all year to get to this point. They need the chance to finish in their true placing. Indiana is one of the only 2 states in the country who do not allow wrestle backs at this level. All the coaches and parents should be writing letters to the wrestling association to express this issue. It is totally wrong. Come on everyone get involved and speak up and lets get this thing changed for our your and talented wrestlers!

Not to nitpick, but if 5 of the top 16 are at 1 semi-state, you also won't have the top 16 at state.  It will always be an imperfect system.  That said, I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone on this site who does not want wrestlebacks at the semi state level.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.