Team State Format

NIaGrad

I appreciate the Bellmont Coach stepping in on behalf of his team.  I very much enjoyed the excellent wrestling and this weekend and appreciate the time and effort that went into this event. 

The discussion did get me thinking about the format.  There was a post advocating 4 eight team regional meets with the champion in each regional meeting for a 4 team bracket the following day.  That still doesn't address the issue of having two strong cross-town rivals that may both be in the top four.

I suggest each region deciding the eight best teams in their region, having a qualifying tournament but taking top two places.

The finals would be an eight team bracket smilar to current format, seeding the winners of each regional and separating the losers from the winners of each regional to the opposite side of the bracket.  To this add a challenge round following the finals.  The winner of the consolations could challenge the loser of the finals, the winner of the losers bracket could challenge the loser of the consolations, and the winner of the losers bracket consolations could challenge the loser of the losers bracket finals.  No challenge matches against prior opponents in the tournament and the challenges would be optional.  If challenged however, you must participate or concede your place.

I believe that this would take some of the importance away from the rankings and allow the teams to prove themselves face to face.  If teams can participate in a two day tournament such as Al Smith or the multi team mega duals, certainly adding a qualifying tournament and one more round at the end could be accomplished.

Other than the logistics, the only down? side I can see is the loss of the post tournament grumbling about how one team or another was overlooked.

I tried to post the spread sheet on how the brackets would look but I don't know how to attach it without losing the format.  Most of you understand what I am saying I would imagine.

Make conference tournment worth something, especially for the small programs on the edge.

I thought the conference tournament was worth something?

Several conference tournaments are held two weeks prior to Sectionals, so there wouldn't be much time after to invite the teams and hold the event before sectionals start.  And if you based the invite on last years conference winners it would likely have more discrepancies than the current system (based on underclassmen advancement in the entire state tournaments series not just one conference event).

Most conference titles are based on a individual tournament not a dual event, so you would be in the same situation as the current scoring system provides.

Most conference don't have an even distribution of 1A, 2A, and 3A teams.  So to keep the tournament a three class team state inviting the best team of each division from each conference wouldn't work.  And we all know schools aren't going to change traditional conferences alignments just to appease something like this.

I like the idea of the conference champion thing. The problem with it is scheduling. Everyone would have to keep that one Saturday open for the Tournament even if you were not the conference champ...just in case you are the conference champ. That is what makes it tough.

The present format we have reminds me of Churchill's quote on democracy "democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried." While I don't like that each years team has a shot at a title that year, what we do have is better than nothing.

From what I followed it sounded like a great day of wrestling. My frustration is not at this tourney but at the IHSAA for not working to make the team state better and just pulling the plug.

Getting Athletic Directors to change any type of conference date, be it just a dual, multi-dual, or tournament is not the easiest thing to do. Some conferences are two weeks before sectional and others are the week before. I really don't see Athletic Directors across the state budging of something like that.

you are asking coaches to use 4 weigh ins if they make it and most likely wasting 2 of them if they dont. thats 5 possible matches to get better being thrown out the window. Until the Duals State receives a weigh in waiver (read: never) this is honestly the best system we got. That being said it could use some retooling. I suggest you take a look at the OHSAA Dual State Tournament its sanctioned by their State Association but there is no reason this couldn't be done here. Teams who don't care because its not the IHSAA tournament could decline entry, The top dual teams would be allowed to be recognized over the flawed team concept at the individual tournament. Everyone wins.  Before they had a sanctioned tournament they did it much like we do now. Just some suggestions.

Of course we can make excuses for why we cant change dates,bout points for teams after they lost conference tourney. Come on people we dont live in the stone ages. Even my old butt can get on the computer & contact a few coaches and set up a couple duals in a few minutes. I do love the idea of modeling off the big wrestling states,(Pennsylvana,Ohio, Iowa, California, where allkids on all wresting teams matter to there state not just their elite programs who pay for the Ihswa.

Of course we can make excuses for why we cant change dates,bout points for teams after they lost conference tourney. Come on people we dont live in the stone ages. Even my old butt can get on the computer & contact a few coaches and set up a couple duals in a few minutes. I do love the idea of modeling off the big wrestling states,(Pennsylvana,Ohio, Iowa, California, where allkids on all wresting teams matter to there state not just their elite programs who pay for the Ihswa.

Sure I can call up another coach and schedule a dual for tomorrow.  That's easy.  However, there's still many other things that have to be organized.  Is the facility available or is there a JV girls basketball game that has been scheduled for a year?  Are there any referees available to work it at a moment's notice?  Can the visiting team arrange for a bus and driver?  And many more questions to figure out.  There's a reason we have Athletic Directors and many reasons they like a lot of time to make these plans.  These are not excuses - they are a reality.

Sure I can call up another coach and schedule a dual for tomorrow.  That's easy.  However, there's still many other things that have to be organized.  Is the facility available or is there a JV girls basketball game that has been scheduled for a year?  Are there any referees available to work it at a moment's notice?  Can the visiting team arrange for a bus and driver?  And many more questions to figure out.  There's a reason we have Athletic Directors and many reasons they like a lot of time to make these plans.  These are not excuses - they are a reality.

Come on Jake, quit bringing a dose of reality to the topic.

every post is filled with excuses from programs that are an autobid into their  Teamstate that isnt even recognized in state or out of state.  JUST GET OHIO TEAM STATE RULES  TAKE TO IHSAA AND DEMAND TEAM STATE BROUGHT BACK UNDER O.S. GUIDELINES. PRETTY SIMPLE NO EXCUSES.

Blame Obama

every post is filled with excuses from programs that are an autobid into their  Teamstate that isnt even recognized in state or out of state.  JUST GET OHIO TEAM STATE RULES  TAKE TO IHSAA AND DEMAND TEAM STATE BROUGHT BACK UNDER O.S. GUIDELINES. PRETTY SIMPLE NO EXCUSES.

Presidential Facepalm!

ScreenHunter_39-Sep.-12-19.39-230x300.gif

You just continue to show your ignorance the more you YELL at everyone.

From the wikipedia entry entitled "all caps":

...typing messages in all caps (has become) closely identified with "shouting" or attention-seeking behavior, and is considered very rude. As a result, netiquette generally discourages the use of all caps when posting messages online. While all caps can be used as an alternative to rich-text "bolding" for a single word or phrase, to express emphasis, repeated use of all caps can be considered "shouting" or irritating.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.