Tournament of champions change of pace.

jgmotorfan

112 INDIANA kids if my count is right, wresters from all over the country. Its amazing how much this tournament draws[# of wrestlers]. Totally  different format than any other  tournament. 1-3 minute period turns into a takedown demonstration because they stand you back up if no action on the mat.      Champions gets an great trophy and singlet.

Careful bringing notice of Indiana wrestlers going to a tournament out of state. Those 112 wrestlers arent supporting the local tournaments going on in Indiana.

Good luck winning one match and calling yourself an all American here.

Careful bringing notice of Indiana wrestlers going to a tournament out of state. Those 112 wrestlers arent supporting the local tournaments going on in Indiana.

Though a good out of state event to attend, your post shouldn't be lost in the fact that we need to stop this from occuring:

4/20/2013 Mishawaka Freestyle Open CANCELLED!!!

The tournament for this Saturday, April 20, has been cancelled, due to lack of freestyle interest in the area.

Now only 2 events left in IN this weekend. 

4/27/2013 Southport Ultimate Ironman.  CANCELLED!!!

And this is in a style that is currently only open for a month's time.  There is some reason to be at least promoting in state participation, even if some people do occasionally travel across the boarder. 

Another example of wrestling dying from the inside, not from Title IX or any other BS.  If you don't realize how vital the local tournaments are to programs then you really are in the dark.  I know you would rather be a troll on here than contribute in a positive manner, but tournaments being canceled is not a good thing for the sport. These tournaments are great way for kids to get wrestling experience without paying for a hotel or an exorbitant amount for entry fee. They are also great fundraisers for the hosting school so that their coaching staff doesn't have to mess around with selling pizza that tastes like cardboard or over priced discount cards. 

Your school had a great thing going with the tournament they hosted and from experience I know it helped the program out a lot. I know the little rinky dink tournament we have hosted the past two years funds our Al Smith trip amongst other very nice things for our team.

better competition out of state! sorry!  theirs other ways of funding programs like good coaches doing clinics and camps. you seem too wrestle the same kids over and over again at the indiana tournaments and could go 75-0 in a full season of indiana tournaments and step outside of the state and go 0-2. would rather go after the competition!

Another example of wrestling dying from the inside, not from Title IX or any other BS.  If you don't realize how vital the local tournaments are to programs then you really are in the dark.  I know you would rather be a troll on here than contribute in a positive manner, but tournaments being canceled is not a good thing for the sport. These tournaments are great way for kids to get wrestling experience without paying for a hotel or an exorbitant amount for entry fee. They are also great fundraisers for the hosting school so that their coaching staff doesn't have to mess around with selling pizza that tastes like cardboard or over priced discount cards. 

Your school had a great thing going with the tournament they hosted and from experience I know it helped the program out a lot. I know the little rinky dink tournament we have hosted the past two years funds our Al Smith trip amongst other very nice things for our team.

If I'm being a troll, what do you call Triple B getting on the thread regarding Nuway and making the crack that he should start calling his club's offseason tournament a "national" tournament?  Equally "trollified" if you ask me.  Listen, we do support local tourney's.  My kid goes to as many as possible, both USA sponsored and Hyway sponsored.  I know they help fund programs.  I can't do more than attend those that are reasonable to get to.  Do I promote these offseason tourney's to the kids in our club?  Absolutely.  Do I offer drive them to weigh ins and the tourney's themselves? You bet.  Have I had any takers?  Not one. So don't preach to me about trying to do something re supporting local tourney's other than getting on here and being a "troll."  Mr Pot, meet Mr Kettle.  I was being a sarcastic d-bag because the thread I had set up as a recognition post turned into how bad it was that kids were leaving the state to find competition and it seemed some folks were having fun with the "becoming an AA" by winning a local tournament.  A shot not deserved, IMO. 

I wasn't being a troll. I currently have a request in w/ my boys and girls club director to seek authorization for Madison to host the "Boys and Girls Club of America National Gauntlet Wrestling Championships" next year....

I'm jumping on the boat.... just by naming it that I can now charge 50 bucks to register instead of 10, and 20 spectator fee... 15 dollar coaches bands.... should be a great fundraiser for my club!

I think its great Indiana kids-familys showing this much interest in a tough tour. like TOC when we went about 6 IN wrestlers went. My boy had 30 something kids in his weight class got2nd in state tour. he would of been lucky to have 6 wrestlers in his weight class.I say goodluck to these kids and keep traveling to get better comp. and more mat time. Why stay in state and wrestle the same 10 kids every weekend. That's the only way we are going to be able to keep up with the powerhouse states. Just my opinion though .

Individual sport? Right? Sorry if it offends ya, but it's about my boy not your team or your huge program that dominates my small town because we cant drum enough interest to make  a solid high school team. We have to travel to get off season practice ,sometimes 1.5 hrs. to get a decent SERIOUS group of partners with a good coach. The RTC's have really helped but good ones are few and far between. If I can get him10 solid matches against grade A wrestlers as opposed to 3 matches against wrestlers  he sees in practice as well as the 2 matches in the tourney the week before ,well sry i have to. Wish it  wasnt so but if you look at all the recent placers in high school youll see lot of national tournaments. My son has shared his goals with me, its my job to give him the tools to reach them. Moms Toyota is startin to wobble.

Do we have these issues during the folkstyle style season? It seems to me that the interest in freestyle is the main reason this has declined...its not like it was 10 opr even 5 years ago it used to seem that the offseason folkstyle tournaments lasted a couple weeks then it was all freestyle. The tides have changed and now it seems that people would rather focus mainly on folkstyle. Look at the numbers from ISWA state in 2012. (Folkstyle = 2028 , Freestyle = 799, Greco = 358).

Our Son luvs this tournament and asked to attended again this year. There were 48 kids in his bracket. Some of the best competition we see all year. We go any place we need to to get our Son quality competition and will continue to do so. I agree with the early post its all about his goals and how I as a parent help get him to were he wants to be. We do one night a week of local training, but we also train out of state an hour drive one way one night a week and a 1/2 hour one way two other nights a week for the same reason. WE THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX :-)

I also wrestled in this tournament, I believe back in 98 or so. I ended up 8th and I think I remember around 40 kids at the time. Largest bracket I had ever seen at the time.  It was one of the best tournaments I had attended. I still try to encourage kids to get over there since the competition now is even greater than it was years ago and I even had Ryan Churella in my bracket.

If Indiana wants more freestyle output, they need to limit the number of Folkstyle meets and force more Freestyle. Folkstyle season for some of the little guys is longer than the high school season it seems. I know some clubs starting in August and of course running folkstyle until March. Then it leaves freestyle with just a little over a month of tournaments before the state meet. Freestyle runs right in with baseball and we lost a lot of kids to baseball as well. Most years it's getting nice outside this time of year and how many kids want to stay inside when it's 75* and sunny?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.