Evansville Observations

navy80

Smith looked great all day, and controlled his matches against Kennedy and Fergusen.  Hudkins does enough to win, and looks smooth doing it.  I am sold on that kid.  I think Fergusen vs Kennedy/Schermer would be a good matchup.

Kuhn was dominate all day. Coureur vs Lehman first round was a barn burner but I was glad to see Coureur punch his ticket!

Runyon pulled the semi upset against Schoettle in the ticket round.  Lahue is tough and does enough to get the win. 

IMO this was eville's weakest weight.  Fleener is better than I thought, but Welch will have to turn it up a level to win a state championship.

The best weight at Evansville**  I would hate to tbe the other semi state who draws this one!  Lykins beat a tough as nails Kargas, then tech falled regional champ Gilbert, then beat state placer Broukal 2-0.  Broukal had Pierre on his back for most of the first period and hung on for a 10-3 win in the ticket round.  Moss is a beast!  Lykins, Broukal, and Wedding all have the talent to place!

Kemper won an exciting match against one loss Batts in the ticket round.  It may have even went into overtime.  Schnell Castle has a bright future for a sophomore.  Hupp finally got over the "Hupp" and looks to be standing on the podium next weekend.

WOW!  How dominant is Molloy?  He controlled the whole match with Kelley even with some bad calls going against him.  Kelley didnt have the greatest tournament.  He was put on his back against Owen Valleys Newforth in a crazy scramble.  Then only beat Brescher 12-9.  I still feel sorry for the number two guy who draws him!  Fergusen?  Where did he come from? 24-9 and came into this as a 3 seed and finished second? 

Partee needed everything he had to beat B. South 152 in overtime first round!  Then pinned Franklins Stevesnon in the last few seconds of the match!  Stillinger got upset by Sophomore Forzely in the ticket round.  That match went back and forth with each kid being on their back more than once.  Montgomery who has the best practice partner in the state looked dominate!  Henshaw took second and had the time of his life.  I dont even think he placed at the Mater Dei classic!

Top three Kriech, Seitzinger, and Parkinson should all place!  Wimpleburg makes it to state with 15 losses!  Great wrestling by him yesterday with some dramatic matches!

Rickenbaugh won by one point in the semi finals and finals, he knows how to win close matches! I was sad to see Shaffer loose after all the kid has been through.  Elmore Avon has a bright future!

Petrole 4 beats Konerding 1 (42-1) first round then got to wrestle the game Thacker.  Ludwig had a nice run to 2nd place! 

Fiddler is a beast!  He dominated all day!  Miller was beating Sandlin before the fall and pulls off a nice 4 over 1 match!

It's hard to beat an opponent three times. Tolley finally gets the win over Jones!  Whoever draws this semi state will have to deal with a 2nd and 3rd place finishers who placed at state this year.  Look for this top 3 to place.

WOW!  Oglesby is a BEAST!  Can't believe that kid is only a sophomore!  Freshman from Ev Harrison is only a FRESHMAN?  Kid is a beast and has raw talent.  Mckee had Little on his back for a good 20 seconds!  Little fights off his back to pin Mckee!  Joley-little earned his ticket the hard way!  He won his first round match against the Danville kid with about one second left!  Then in Jolley-little's ticket round match he won by one point in the last minute (I believe).  State placer Wright missed out on a return trip to Indy!

I would like to have a starting offensive line made up of these heavyweight! 

Out of 56 tickets punched there are 24 underclassmen that will be back next year. Future looks bright for Evanville!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I observed Mater Dei taking 12 kids and only punching 2 tickets while Reitz took 6 and punched 3 tickets. I was stunned by the Ferguson match against Smith. Kuhn was a monster. Davis gave Lahue everything Lahue could take and almost broke through at the end. Wimpelberg wrestled with purpose and punched his ticket against a great wrestler. Congrats to Reitz for beating Mater Dei in the Semi State. I think beating them there more that solidified your teams Sectional accomplishment. 

P.S. Was that really Reitz High Schools Principal that sang the National Anthem? She was pretty darn good!

I guess it depends on how it is viewed, but I don't really see how you can say Reitz beat Mater Dei.  Sure they scored more points, but to me looking at that as a victory is akin to a kid who can never win just trying to find some victory.    I'm not a Mater Dei fan more than any other team in Evansville, but it just seems to me Reitz fans could be happy with their performance without having to interject MD into the conversation. 

But hey, that's just me.

I guess it depends on how it is viewed, but I don't really see how you can say Reitz beat Mater Dei.  Sure they scored more points, but to me looking at that as a victory is akin to a kid who can never win just trying to find some victory.    I'm not a Mater Dei fan more than any other team in Evansville, but it just seems to me Reitz fans could be happy with their performance without having to interject MD into the conversation. 

But hey, that's just me.

Don't lump "Reitz fans" together.  You are responding to a comment by Blue Gray Panther. 

Fair enough..  How about "Reitz fans who agree with the line of thinking exhibited by bluegraypanther in that post"?

You're getting closer.

I heard from a Bosse rep yesterday that the Ford Center is becoming more difficult to work with and price gauging the haites out of the Evansville schools. 10k to rent, has to buy all food from them. Attendance has to stay around 4k, or they gonna give it up.

I kept hearing that the new North High School was being considered.

You're getting closer.

I kept hearing that the new North High School was being considered.

I have heard the same Jon. ESPN 106.7 radio discussion about a week or so ago was talking about moving any big SIAC/City basketball games there in the future. It's just a shame, Roberts Stadium venue was great. I really would like to know the gate count. There is no doubt that the EVSC loses money on the semi-state if they are paying a set rental fee. I'm guessing they are since IHSAA sets all the ticket prices and determines how much is split.

I dont even think he placed at the Mater Dei classic!

Cant really compare the 2 tournaments. The MD Holiday Classic has some very tough out of state competition. Also some semi state quarter brackets are way tougher than others. You hope to win regionals and hope everyone that is supposed to win theirs, does win theirs. NO UPSETS in other regionals. Then you hope you draw the weak regional. Some good wrestlers dont get to state, others do. The MD tourney is usually seeded pretty well, but sometimes they miss and you get a bad seed.

only thing that would be missed at the ford center would be the face off, my bilfold would much rather go to North 3.50 for a 20 oz coke and your there for 10 hrs lots of eating and drinking for a big family. The seating reminds me of being stuck on an air plane id much rather see conscession money going to a program instead of the ford center.

But hey, that's just me.

After hearing several comments by others about Reitz winning Castle Sectional I obviously am going to interject the fact Reitz beat them this weekend. Thats why they keep score.

What kind of comments?

About Reitz leaving Central because they couldn't beat Mater Dei. It was a huge disrespect to not only Reitz but to the other schools who are part of Castle Sectional. If semi state didn't count then why keep a score? I didn't say anything rude, inappropriate or disrespectful about Mater Dei. I congratulated  Reitz. Well deserved congratulations for beating their talented west side counterparts.

About Reitz leaving Central because they couldn't beat Mater Dei. It was a huge disrespect to not only Reitz but to the other schools who are part of Castle Sectional. If semi state didn't count then why keep a score? I didn't say anything rude, inappropriate or disrespectful about Mater Dei. I congratulated  Reitz. Well deserved congratulations for beating their talented west side counterparts.

you must be very proud!

only thing that would be missed at the ford center would be the face off, my bilfold would much rather go to North 3.50 for a 20 oz coke and your there for 10 hrs lots of eating and drinking for a big family. The seating reminds me of being stuck on an air plane id much rather see conscession money going to a program instead of the ford center.

I'd miss watching from the comfort of the suite level!

Real nice place but after hotel gas and dinner Fri. Nite all I could afford Sat. Was a brat and coke,now my kid spent 30-40 bucks on dipping dots and nacho's, they were good. I think going to a school might help the energy too,place a little too big for event. Come finals things got quiet. New 69 nice but still 3hour drive from Avon. If going to a school more central location should be looked at.

We have all read the posts on here about Mater Dei all post season...They send 12...Well they sent 12 and 2 get thru.  Reitz sent 6 and 3 went thru.  Do the math...I could care less about the overall scores.  If you have a team that sends 12 to semi state and only 2 make it thru...you have to wonder.  By the way...regionals were the same way...they sent a lot thru but how many were standing atop the podium?  No disrespect to a youth Mater Dei team.  They are Mater Dei and will always have a great wrestling program but face the facts...3 of 6 is better than 2 of 12.  Good luck to all the wrestlers who are going to state and thanks for a lot of great matches at Evansville Semi state. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.