Best R2G Matches of all time..

TripleB

Wrestlebacks and ticket round matches have taken over the board this week.

Let's hear about best ticket round matches of all time

I might steal the thread w/ mine.

Robert Rosbottom Jeffersonville vs. Dan Jankowski Evansville Mater Dei - 1999 - Seymour Semi-State.

Defending Champ at 135 (Rosbottom) vs. Defending Runner-up at 140 (Jankowski), both seniors. They were actually ranked #1 in the state, the only time I can remember a tie for the #1 ranking. Rosbottom had been beaten at Regionals the week before by Steve Minton of New Albany (eventual 3rd placer).

I think the match ended 2-1 or 1-0 Rosbottom. Great match!

I remember back in 92 or 93 when Mike Ester beat out Aaron Wilson the returning runner up at State.  That one left an impression on me.  Aaron took off out of there.  Not sure if anyone has ever seen him since.  Sometimes late at night people say you can see him wondering around the coliseum with his hood up.  But that could just be a rumor.

119 pounds at the Merrillville SS in 1999.  Returning State Champion Josh Birge- Frankfort vs. Andrew Bradbury- Portage.  This match was something like 17-16, points being thrown up all over the place. Bradbury ended up taking him out and went on to finish 2nd in the state.

Cody Kendle vs Dusty Kief a couple years back at Evansville. It's a shame about that happened after the match but taking that out of the equation it was a great match. Kendle put the state runner up to his back twice in the last 40 seconds or so to win the match! What a finish!

A couple of years ago, also at 119 at the Merrillville Semi-State..  Anthony Napules- Merrillville vs. Jake Lamb- Lowell. Lamb pins Napules, the pin gets waved off due to them being out of bounds, they keep wrestling and Napules wins on an overtime takedown.

Wrestlebacks and ticket round matches have taken over the board this week.

Let's hear about best ticket round matches of all time

I might steal the thread w/ mine.

Robert Rosbottom Jeffersonville vs. Dan Jankowski Evansville Mater Dei - 1999 - Seymour Semi-State.

Defending Champ at 135 (Rosbottom) vs. Defending Runner-up at 140 (Jankowski), both seniors. They were actually ranked #1 in the state, the only time I can remember a tie for the #1 ranking. Rosbottom had been beaten at Regionals the week before by Steve Minton of New Albany (eventual 3rd placer).

I think the match ended 2-1 or 1-0 Rosbottom. Great match!

Minton ended up second.  He finished with like 7 losses--6 to Rosbottom and once by tech fall to Jankowski (Jankowski's only loss ended up being the famous SS match).  Minton just kept getting closer and closer to Rosbottom, then finally got him at regional in a shocker so that Rosbottom had to wrestle Jankowski.  To me this was the BIGGEST round to go match I ever saw because both of these guys had legitimate next-level potential and would have been state champs in their weight class 9 times out of 10.  But it wasn't the BEST match I ever saw because both guys were so tentative and scared to death of being put out. 

The Ester/Wilson match was insane too. I was in 7th or 8th grade and I thought Wilson was unbeatable.  I remember hearing before the match that he was as sick as a dog with a killer sore throat and stuff (maybe someone else knows better)...but yeah, I'll never forget how he left the mat and then hearing he was back beating his head against the wall or lockers or whatever.  Ester's a scrapper, man--on the mat and in the coaching box. 

Copy and Paste from my reply on same subject 3 years ago...

A couple more great "ticket round" matches that took place at the Semi-state formerly known as Seymour were;

#1Greg Weade (Memorial) vs. Andy Wilson (Monrovia)...Wilson Wins  and 

#1 Bo Henry (Bloomington North) vs. Mark Koers (Roncalli)...Koers wins...loved watching Koers (aka "bulldog")

I remember three years ago the ehr and schendel match. i was wrestling on the mat next to it and kept looking over when everyone would yell

Do you mean you had a wrestler wrestling on the mat next to it?  You are a little old.  I do believe that would be around your weight class though.

I don't know if this qualifies as "best", but certainly a crazy ticket round match happened at New Castle in 2011.  Scurria (Carmel) VS. Reidling (Warren Central).  Scurria started the match with a lead, but then Reidling put him to his back and nearly got the fall, period ends.  Scurria throws a headlock and pins Reidling.  The gym got pretty loud.

I remember back in 92 or 93 when Mike Ester beat out Aaron Wilson the returning runner up at State.  That one left an impression on me.  Aaron took off out of there.  Not sure if anyone has ever seen him since.  Sometimes late at night people say you can see him wondering around the coliseum with his hood up.  But that could just be a rumor.

Yeah, I lost to Ester after that in the semis 4-3.  The very next year I drew Tony Elkins from Ft Wayne North(placed 5th previous year) in the ticket round & won 5-4.  I remember Aaron Wilson bolting.  Elkins did the same thing. Both Elkins & Wilson were big 119 guys, and Elkins had beat Ester at Regional to make that match happen.

It was 92 btw.

Yeah, I lost to Ester after that in the semis 4-3.  The very next year I drew Tony Elkins from Ft Wayne North(placed 5th previous year) in the ticket round & won 5-4.  I remember Aaron Wilson bolting.  Elkins did the same thing. Both Elkins & Wilson were big 119 guys, and Elkins had beat Ester at Regional to make that match happen.

It was 92 btw.

We were in the same weight class in 93 then.  I drew Tim Myers for the second year in a row in the ticket round.  :*)

Yeah I lost in OT to Tim 3-2 in the semis.  He went on to win state, and had a great career. I remember speaking to him.  Nice guy.  I think I coach a kid who's father is friends with you at Franklin Central.  He is a National Guard guy.  I remember he is from Dekalb.  That weight was tough that year at SS. Tim Myers Champ, Derek Crousore 3rd, Mike Adtkins 5th i think.  I choked again Friday.

You guys are making my point for me:

The ticket round is so exciting. It is the best round in the entire season, excluding the finals under the lights. If you add in wrestlebacks – none of these Epic Matches ever matter, there is no drama, and a gigantic portion of the excitement about the state tournament is simply lost. NO WRESTLEBACKS – IN SEMISTATE. EVER. 

119 pounds at the Merrillville SS in 1999.  Returning State Champion Josh Birge- Frankfort vs. Andrew Bradbury- Portage.  This match was something like 17-16, points being thrown up all over the place. Bradbury ended up taking him out and went on to finish 2nd in the state.

Top of my list!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.