Iron Man Thoughts

With the Iron Man tournament going on in Ohio this weekend,  has an Indiana school ever thought about attending this event?  This is the premier tournament in the country which normally has 15 to 20 nationally ranked teams and its in our neighboring state.  Nationally ranked Perry Meridian would fit in the mix reallly well and I'm sure the tournament would love to have them.

Is Cuyahoga Falls in the Cleveland area beyond the travel restrictions imposed by ISHAA?

Cuyahoga Falls is well within the limit....however the other teams participating in the even are not such as Blair, teams from California, etc.

So the hurdle ISHAA has put in front of us so we can't competing in the competitiona are beyond the travel restriction.  Who makes these rules up?

Is there a process for a waiver of this rule? I ask because I know of multiple times were basketball teams were allowed to not adhere by this rule for special tournaments or National games.

Or more due to a football or basketball team getting national recognition.

Perry Meridian has a national ranking, and the Ironman is a national tournament that has the most national recogniton.

Could they get get a waiver, or is wrestling the red haired step child in the eyes of the ISHAA?

If they would keep the 600 mile round travel rule in place, but just amend it so that we can compete against teams that come from beyond this boarder most of the problems would be solved.  The IHSAA can care how far their own teams can travel for competition, since it may be a factor in ensuring athletic travel doesn't become a priority over school matters.  However, the IHSAA has no real reason to be concerned about how far another team travels to compete against an Indiana team.  The other teams travel distances should only be an issue for their states athletic governing body to worry about.   Seems like a simple enough rule to change, but they don't seem to be worried about it for some reason.  For the most part this issue has a bigger effect on sports teams like wrestling where multiple teams are competing in the same tournament event together.  Where as, football and basketball team sports only compete against one team at a time and usually as a home or away game.

I have to disagree Y2. If Perry Meridian was allowed to compete in the Ironman. They would not only be representing themselves, but also Indiana as a whole. This would be a great opportunity for our state to garner national recognition at the biggest regular season tournament in the country.

The IHSAA, really just henders Indiana!! If it does not have to deal with Football or Basketball it goes on the back

burner! Also they are the Biggest CLICK you have to deal with!! No win situation until we get COx out of Office!!

The IHSAA, really just henders Indiana!! If it does not have to deal with Football or Basketball it goes on the back

burner! Also they are the Biggest CLICK you have to deal with!! No win situation until we get COx out of Office!!

Clique*** don't worry I have your back

Perry Meridian has a national ranking, and the Ironman is a national tournament that has the most national recogniton.

Could they get get a waiver, or is wrestling the red haired step child in the eyes of the ISHAA?

I go to school with a buddy who is from walsh, the school that host the ironman. it is not a team invite it is individual invite. but he said if a team has 5 or 6 highly nationally ranked wrestlers than they will invite the entire team. but alot of times they will invite 1 or 2 wrestlers from a school who are ranked and that is it.

Read the posts, Y2 said this site IS within the limit. So no waiver is needed. Just organization.

It is the OTHER schools that come from outside the 300 mile limit. Schools from Wyoming, Pennsylvania, California, etc. Indiana athletes cannot compete against athletes from schools over 300 miles from the Indiana border.

In 2002 Mater Dei traveled to Columbus, Ohio to wrestle St. Paris Graham and a few other schools. They could NOT wrestle a top school from West Virginia.

Read the rules, I know what I am talking about.

It is the OTHER schools that come from outside the 300 mile limit. Schools from Wyoming, Pennsylvania, California, etc. Indiana athletes cannot compete against athletes from schools over 300 miles from the Indiana border.

In 2002 Mater Dei traveled to Columbus, Ohio to wrestle St. Paris Graham and a few other schools. They could NOT wrestle a top school from West Virginia.

Read the rules, I know what I am talking about.

DO you remember how Mater Dei did that year?  I can't remember

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.