3. Jimtown

4. North Montgomery

5. Culver Academies

6. Danville

7 (tie). Heritage Hills

7 (tie). Muncie South

9. Leo

10. Bellmont

*New rankings are to be released every two weeks.

http://www.indianamat.com/ihswca-team-rankings-1129/2012/12/

#5 CMA went 5-0 this weekend & they r 10-0 overall

Culver Academies - Team Champions at the Winamac Super 6 Duals

CMA 68 Caston 12

CMA 61 Mississinewa 3

CMA 84 Frontier 0

CMA 57 Winamac 21

CMA 56 West Central 21

Twin Lakes is unranked but they looked pretty good this weekend they r 14-1 overall, only loss is to Penn

Can anyone else post some results from the ranked teams? I know there r some in the results section, I just don't have time to search for all of them

Muncie Southside has defeated Eastern and Jay County by the same score... 48-27

We have also competed in two individual scored tournaments....

We wrestle in New Castel duals this weekend so we will have 5 more dual scores to submit...

This is all well and good, however, I find it interesting that you have teams that are currently in the TOP 4 that will not be invited to the team state this year and have proved they are worthy of the status thus far....I would think going forward, that somehow.....the criteria for an invite will be reexamined...I would think that in any given season, some time should be given to see how the teams perform in the new season before invites are sent....In the old format, teams didnt know if they were going to  team regionals until after sectionals, but planned to go in case they did....seems like schools should plan to go that weekend before Christmans just in case they do get invited.....Next year, one of these teams wont have the same starters and these current kids should have the opportunity to go as they have worked hard to get where they are...just a thought...

Darrell

The old format was all POST SEASON an now it is DURING the season,  The OLD way was done by the IHSAA and didn't count as dual points, new way counts, hard to wait till 2 weeks before the new dual format an say, hey, your team is invited, please CANCEL your current schedule for that weekend and join us.  OMG some people can't figure out the obvious.

The old format was all POST SEASON an now it is DURING the season,  The OLD way was done by the IHSAA and didn't count as dual points, new way counts, hard to wait till 2 weeks before the new dual format an say, hey, your team is invited, please CANCEL your current schedule for that weekend and join us.  OMG some people can't figure out the obvious.

yeah..hard to figure out

I am not beating  a dead horse..I am glad that the coaches association has come up with an idea and ran with it..however, it being new and all, they should always be looking for ways to improve, as we all do in real life...so I am not criticizing at all....but in reality, to have a team state that is going to have some meaning at all, you should look for ways to get the best possible teams for that given year to attend...

So, with schedules done a year in advance, with most schools going to the same duals or individual events every year, you'd like to wait until closer to the New Team State format to make the selections, leaving teams to cancel on short notice.  Some schools hosting events, which would mean 4-16 teams or more if a Holiday individual tourney would then be affected.  There was a formula to decide the teams to be invited, the polls however, are just opinions.  I'd like the best teams there also, but waiting till weeks beforehand isn't an option, as then you'd have those schools having to cancel plans to attend, or leave a void an maybe then not be invited an have nothing scheduled at all.  So, back to the done in advance with a calculation to determine who is an who isn't.  And yes, dead horse, as there was a topic with Belmont not being there also an how they always perform better at the end of the year when the OLD system was used.  I'm sure someone else will have a new topic about there team also, it's still the same horse, just someone different kicking it.

ok...my shoes are wore out

So you believe every team should leave open two points in case they are invited?  Do you realize the logistics of inviting teams two or three weeks in advance and how it is impossible?

FYI, Danville was invited due to having the most points in the Evansville semi-state in which North Montgomery does not participate. 

So you believe every team should leave open two points in case they are invited?  Do you realize the logistics of inviting teams two or three weeks in advance and how it is impossible?

FYI, Danville was invited due to having the most points in the Evansville semi-state in which North Montgomery does not participate. 

I get that......and understand the reasonings...its just that things change in a year and with this being a new concept, other things should be considered is all...keep doing the outstanding work you guys are doing...just throwing it out there for further consideration...and i realize its impossible to have teams rearrange schedules, but does that stop you from trying to improve the system? or is this just the way its going to be forever and just live with it?  if thats the case, then whats the point at all?

I think cdpd has a point.

Especially with small schools, if you graduate a nucleus of kids, the quality of the team can radically change. 

If you are asking if this system is better than nothing, of course it is.

It is certainly valid to question whether it could be better, though.

#5 CMA went 5-0 this weekend & they r 10-0 overall

Culver Academies - Team Champions at the Winamac Super 6 Duals

CMA 68 Caston 12

CMA 61 Mississinewa 3

CMA 84 Frontier 0

CMA 57 Winamac 21

CMA 56 West Central 21

Twin Lakes is unranked but they looked pretty good this weekend they r 14-1 overall, only loss is to Penn

Can anyone else post some results from the ranked teams? I know there r some in the results section, I just don't have time to search for all of them

Where is a quality win??

I am fairly new to this discussion and I certainly don't have any authority to make recommendations.  I simply love the sport of wrestling. 

Why can't teams BEGIN to restructure their schedules to leave a weekend free late in the year, one or two weeks before sectionals, for example? The tournaments could certainly be completed in a single weekend of competition.

(If these issues have already been raised and addressed, don't feel like you have to give a long answer.  Perhaps you could just refer me to the thread where it was previously discussed.)

I am fairly new to this discussion and I certainly don't have any authority to make recommendations.  I simply love the sport of wrestling. 

Why can't teams BEGIN to restructure their schedules to leave a weekend free late in the year, one or two weeks before sectionals, for example? The tournaments could certainly be completed in a single weekend of competition.

One or two weeks before sectional is when 99 percent of teams have conference tournaments

(If these issues have already been raised and addressed, don't feel like you have to give a long answer.  Perhaps you could just refer me to the thread where it was previously discussed.)

So you would like to see teams leave open two points just in case for this event?

Just as a review of the situation for people new to the discussion.  I know some of this is a repeat for many of you, but I think it's very important for the awareness process to continue as much as is needed:

Why no in-season selections?

When the IHSAA initially promised a scheduling exemption for this event, the selection committee's approved plan was to leave one wildcard selection per class open to be selected two weeks before the event for the first year.  Then, if things went well and there was strong interest in the event, the plan was to leave even more positions open until just before the event for future years.  

Once the scheduling exemption was taken off the table, all the teams had to be selected last year so schedules could be rearranged.

What about a strong team like North Montgomery?

About the North Montgomery situation, specifically: the reason they're not in the event is because they lost by just a couple points for the New Castle semi-state auto bid to Southmont.  The point system is designed to put the responsibility on the teams--especially underclassmen--to wrestle well and earn their school's spot.  It's not a season-comprehensive computer rating.  It's a point system where you earn your spot.  The points are known beforehand and they're out there for you to go get.  Almost all of both of those schools' points came from last year's underclassmen that are wrestling on the teams this year.  If North Montgomery had won even one or two more key matches in the individual tournament, they would be in the duals event.

Upsets happen

The old team state system never had the exact Top 8 teams in the state either.  Teams were grouped regionally and upsets happened.  The same thing will happen in this case.  There are a couple teams in the event that wouldn't be if it weren't for their semi-state grouping.  There were also some upsets...Southmont over North Montgomery was one of them.  I looked at the two lineups before the tournament and thought North Montgomery was the team to beat...but they got beat.  

The positives going forward

We're still going to end up with 7 or 8 teams from the Top 10 in each class in the event.  There will definitely be re-evaluation of components of how points are earned and how wildcards are selected--but by and large I really think the committee did a great job with the elements that they set as priorities and the very strong field of teams they ended up with.

I'm new to this discussion so I don't know all the  previous ideas that did not get approved.

In my opinion the current setup is probably the most pragmatic way to approach this tourney, especially in its inaugural year.  I'm glad the ihswca is holding this tourney and I hope it succeeds and is continued in one form or another.

I would make the following changes for future tourneys, all of which I believe can be implemented fairly easily.

1.  Invite sixteen teams in each class.  These teams would be chosen prior to the season starting as they were this year.

2.  At some point during the actual season (the later the better) eight of those sixteen would be chosen to compete for the championship.  Some BCS type system could be used to pick which eight get invited.  (I'll admit this part is the part that would have the most controversy associated with it.)

3.  The top eight from each class go to the championships at the same site as is being done this year.

4.  The bottom eight each go to a different site and have a classed eight team dual (format does not matter, pool play, etc.  Teams currently do this type of tourney all the time.)

5.  The bottom eight classes could be at the same site, or each class could be at its own site.  The logistics of this should not be difficult.  It would require one site to hold 24 teams (the championship), and three sites to hold 8 teams each.  The sites would be predetermined.

6.  Move the tourney to two weeks before sectional.

I believe these changes would eliminate any concerns over schedule points and would also provide flexibility in correctly picking the best eight teams in each class for the championship.

I'm new to this discussion so I don't know all the  previous ideas that did not get approved.

In my opinion the current setup is probably the most pragmatic way to approach this tourney, especially in its inaugural year.  I'm glad the ihswca is holding this tourney and I hope it succeeds and is continued in one form or another.

I would make the following changes for future tourneys, all of which I believe can be implemented fairly easily.

1.  Invite sixteen teams in each class.  These teams would be chosen prior to the season starting as they were this year.

2.  At some point during the actual season (the later the better) eight of those sixteen would be chosen to compete for the championship.  Some BCS type system could be used to pick which eight get invited.  (I'll admit this part is the part that would have the most controversy associated with it.)

3.  The top eight from each class go to the championships at the same site as is being done this year.

4.  The bottom eight each go to a different site and have a classed eight team dual (format does not matter, pool play, etc.  Teams currently do this type of tourney all the time.)

5.  The bottom eight classes could be at the same site, or each class could be at its own site.  The logistics of this should not be difficult.  It would require one site to hold 24 teams (the championship), and three sites to hold 8 teams each.  The sites would be predetermined.

6.  Move the tourney to two weeks before sectional.

I believe these changes would eliminate any concerns over schedule points and would also provide flexibility in correctly picking the best eight teams in each class for the championship.

16 teams would be nice if they all could compete for crown!  If selected I would not want to change my schedule only to find out after wards I changed my schedule from a meet I most likely wanted to go to just for another dual with a state title involved.

The dec 22nd date was chosen after looking at everyone schedule in the state and the 22nd had the least amount of events on that date.  I know two weeks before sectionals is several conferences tourney date.  So that date is not going to happen.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.