Wrestling Cliches to Kill in 2012/13

hook and half

I am tempted to slap a "cliche technical" anytime I see this one of these on the board.

My personal (least) favorite cliches:

"The only ranking that matters is the one at Banker's Life".  Solid evidence and reasoning that any pre or in-season rankings should be banned.

"...will make some noise".  It's a good thing.  Everyone hates a quiet winner.

"...will surprise some people".  Surprise who with what?  He is out of pull-up pants?

"It's all about the six minutes".  Unless, of course, you get pinned in three seconds.

Ridiculous assertions that the wrestler you are promoting was winning until he "got caught".  IE:  "He was doing great against Tsirtsis until he 'got caught' on the 15th takedown and was tech falled 30-15."

"(After the loss) He will be back in the room working hard".  Because, as we all know, after a win, a wrestler generally takes off a week.

"They are the hardest working team in the state".  Is there a nomination process for the "hardest working team".  Was James Brown a wrestler before he became the godfather of soul?

"They are the hardest working team in the state".  Is there a nomination process for the "hardest working team".  Was James Brown a wrestler before he became the godfather of soul?

Hey we had a wrestler named James Brown a few years back that was actually quite the practice room wrestler.

My personal favorite is the reason Billy John will win is because he "words harder." That is because no one else in the state, sectional, conference, etc works hard at his weight class. I am awaiting the day that someone posts, "he is lazy, but he will win because he is stronger than anyone else."

#1 wrestling cliche to kill "If we just had class wrestling (insert comment)"

I was just thinking today how I could get this going again. Your Welcome Y2!

Here is the cliff notes version of the thread

Me: Class wrestling will help grow the sport

Single Class Supporter: It is stupid

Me: The data shows that 75% of the state qualifiers are from big schools.

Single Class Supporter: It is stupid

Me: Small school coaches and athletes deserve the recognition

Single Class Supporter: I won't go to a classed state finals

Me: 45 other states have class wrestling

Single Class Supporter: They are stupid.

Me: Why not just have one weight class?

Single Class Supporter: Lets just give everyone a trophy

Me: John Smith thinks class wrestling is good

Single Class Supporter: What does he know about wrestling?

The End

The absolute worst has to be "He's HUGE!"

a kid weighing 132 is not "HUGE."  A kid weighing 152 is not any more huge than another kid at 152, otherwise he would be in a much higher weight class.  I get it that some kids look much more muscular than others, but let's drop "huge" from our vocabulary when describing a wrestler.  This is especially ridiculous at the lower weights.

The absolute worst has to be "He's HUGE!"

a kid weighing 132 is not "HUGE."  A kid weighing 152 is not any more huge than another kid at 152, otherwise he would be in a much higher weight class.  I get it that some kids look much more muscular than others, but let's drop "huge" from our vocabulary when describing a wrestler.  This is especially ridiculous at the lower weights.

Not sure I agree with this being a cliche.  Saying a kid is "huge" is the nice way of saying "the kid is sawing a leg off to make weight."  So, IMO, kids might weigh the same at weigh in before an all day tourney, but by the end of a Saturday, one kid might be weighing 5 to 7 pounds more than his opponent in the finals.  By all accounts, if I was watching that match, I might be inclined to look at the bigger wrestler and say "he's huge" and I would probably be right.

Maybe I missed it, but "He deserves to ______"  is a phrase that should be eliminated from the board.  Fill in the blank.

On a related note, maybe Y2 can rig this site up so that  "the room" is always in bold italics one font size larger.  The message board version of the radio DJ voice.  The boys are working hard in the room

Not sure I agree with this being a cliche.  Saying a kid is "huge" is the nice way of saying "the kid is sawing a leg off to make weight."  So, IMO, kids might weigh the same at weigh in before an all day tourney, but by the end of a Saturday, one kid might be weighing 5 to 7 pounds more than his opponent in the finals.  By all accounts, if I was watching that match, I might be inclined to look at the bigger wrestler and say "he's huge" and I would probably be right.

I'm sure you already know this, so this is just a reminder that a cliche is "a trite or overused expression."  This is definitely over used.  I hear it at every wrestling meet, usually several times.  And, even if the kid does look bigger than the other 120 kid, he's FAR from huge.  He is still a ~120 pound kid.    Bob Sapp was huge!

I'm sure you already know this, so this is just a reminder that a cliche is "a trite or overused expression."  

Thanks professor!

This is definitely over used.  I hear it at every wrestling meet, usually several times.  

You need to start going to matches/meets in a different part of the state.  Truly, I don't hear that "cliche" which, as we all now know, is "a trite or overused expression," all that much at the competitions I attend.

However, if truth be told, I'm probably yelling too loudly for my kid or his teammates to pay attention to what others around me are saying.

How about this statistic that every coach uses, but it never seems to show up on the stat sheets: the "shoulda won."

I have coaches tell me that a wrestler has 15 wins and 20 losses, but 10 of those losses are matches he "shoulda won."

Some kids have more "shoulda wons" than they have actual victories.

I often wonder how this works in seeding meetings. "I know my wrestler has 30 losses, but I want him seeded No. 1 because he 'shoulda won' at least 25 of those."

Of course, considering all the 'shoulda wons,' it only makes sense that there should be another statistic ... the 'shoulda lost.'

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.