Is Indiana Summer Wrestling Down?

Coach Hull

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was talking with Coach Morgan about freestyle/greco season and were discussing how summer wrestling in Indiana seems to be down this year.  I know we have Schoolastics, Folkstyle Nationals, etc.  but it seems there have been a lot of cancellations and current tourney numbers seem low.  What is the issue?  Costs?  More national tourney participation?  Scheduling?  It would be interesting to compare the numbers but in regards to keeping up with Illinois, Ohio, etc, this does not seem to be a good trend for Indiana.  Is this year just a fluke?  Any thoughts on why this is, and more so what we can do about fixing it?  Would appreciate any input from the Indianamat community...

I was actually wondering the same thing after seeing several tournament cancelations thus far.  My concerns like many others including the ISWA probably is that if we can't be sure if tournaments being available then kids/parents are less likely to even sign up to be part of the Spring USA wrestling season.  I'm not sure the best answer, but I'm guessing multiple issues are causing the problem.

Possibly some of it is slighyly down due to early the events being early.  Other national events may pull a small amount of numbers away.  Putting a few more events later on may help with this a little, but its hard to think this is a major factor.  Some guys may be hesitant to jump in to early events until they get used to the style more.  Since its almost impossible to start the training period earlier this may be helped by putting some more events later in the freestyle/folkstyle season or even extending it out a few weeks more.  

For some it may be due to the multiple other sports that are asking for more time form athletes  too (track, baseball, soccer, football lifting).  This comes down to coaches working with each other and possibly being creative with practice schedules too.  If a wrestler is about to attend practices they will be more willing to attend meets on a open weekend.  Obiously, this comes down to a coaching thing and possibly providing suggestions that are working to other coaches in a similar situation.

For some it may be the changing freestyle rules that have caused them to give up on that and just focus on improving their folkstyle skills.  Hetting more coaches to buy in and promote the off season opportunities of freestyle/greco from an early age is key here.   The sooner the kids get involved the more willing they are to continue participating in it.  It's hard to get a high school kids to want to try switching to these styles since they don't have much time left to learn them.  Some coaches are good at promoting and talking up this season more than others.  Some do this, but have trouble getting their kids to always buy in as much.  Again, saome things may be needed as the first suggestion more communication between coaches that are making it happen and those that need those suggestions.

For some it may be a cost issue that is the last straw.  We can say its the economy but some of that can be worked around with a little bit of adjusting.  Travel obviously is a cost factor now.  I would say organizing better car pools would help there.  Also, trying to create a system where one tournament is available in each region.  Instead of 2 or 3 in one area (to share wrestlers from) and no tournaments in another (which means a far distance of travel).  I know this is difficult based on school schedules sometimes, but I would think most could make it work since there isn?t a lot of indoor spring events.  Participation fees for tournaments are sometimes high for what you get.  Parents/kids don't always see the value in a few matches, if the return is a long day in a gym, no recognition when you win, and a small medal that's very plain.  This fix obviously involves event organizers getting more creative.  Especially in events that are routinely larger making sure a plan is together to keep things moving well and possibly splitting age groups.  This allows the same amount of wrestlers and fans to attend but less congestion, less ? mats, and people don?t have to be stuck there all day for just 2 or 3 matches.  With lines brackets this should be easier, but actually highlighting the finals match and possibly have a podium off to the side for the top 2 or 3 places, announce their names, and spring for the slightly fancier medals.  The high school kids may not be as impressed but the younger kids parents eat that stuff up.  Yeah it?s more logistics and possibly a slightly less profit, but it?s better than a small showing or having to cancel all together.  Local tournaments finding out whats getting results and getting suggestions from those that are should work here.  But they have to be willing to take the suggestions and make adjustments.

Some of it may come down to not having the same qualification system to attend state.  Sure, it may bring in a few more kids to state (though numbers there seem down too).  But it also means there is less value to attending the smaller tournaments events.  Qualifying for state made it sound more prestigious to many of the younger and middle age kids.  Most of our guys were more willing to attend local events each weekend since they were one of the only few left to qualify.  Most top guys will find one weekend to wrestle in order to qualify, or maybe for the few that can?t a wavier system can be set up based on past state results (though that takes more time).  I?ve even felt there may be a way to go back to a regional qualification system.  If you qualified at any tournaments you would make the regional?s, pay your entry fee and if you place in the top of the regional?s you qualify for state.  Again its logistics but it also means it?s a more prestigious goal.  When kids find meaning in making it to the next level many times they show up more.  Plus if events are closer they are willing to go too. It would create a system where we wouldn?t need a huge crowded gym for the state finals and the ISWA and the regional locations could share in the attendance for the event so in that way they are still getting the revenue they need. Creativity at the state level here in any way they can if its looking at a regional plan or something else.

Last, idea I?ve had in my head was what have we learned from the other states around us (OH and IL particularly) about what they have done to adjust and ensure growth in their events.  Maybe contacting their state offices and talking with them about the tournaments issues it may give us a clearer picture about what can be done to help our situation.

I?m not sure all these suggestions are possible or perfect, but they may get some results.  I?m guessing the ISWA has noticed the same issues we have.  I'm guessing they will continue to work on improving the season and may just have some additional items to look at after these early season cancelations.

I think is has been going down for the last couple of years.  I feel alot of it comes from going to tournaments and having 1 or 2 kids in your class, or maybe none which just gets people to stop coming at all. This is especially true with the high school kids. The little ones always seem to have enough other participants to get the job done. We love tyo wrestle in the summer and find the best place to go is in Michigan. The numbers seem to be better for whatever the reason.

The IHSAA wants to classify us as an individual sport then fine, we should be able to have individual events.  Just like track has events in the 100 yard dash or the pole vault and swimming has events like the 100 backstroke and 3 meter diving, then high school wrestling as a classified individual sport by the IHSAA should be allowed to have events and champions in folkstyle, freestyle and greco-roman.  And if the IHSAA says 'no' then the IHSWCA sues the IHSAA based on a reverse discrimination Title IX claim.  We had freestyle at many high schools until the 1950s btw.  Get freestyle and greco-roman events as part of the high school season and watch how many kids turn out for spring & summer events.

So work with me on this. I understand wrestling Greco and Freestyle can help with Folkstyle. My thinking is this.There are very few opportunities for  Free and Greco outside of Olympics ,World Team maybe some Junior national events. To be considered for these areas for the most part you have to be outstanding at Folkstyle to get into a position to wrestle in these other areas.

I know there are special armed services programs and Northern Michigan for Greco but still virtually everyone is or was outstanding at Folkstyle. When you look at the lists of qualifiers for the National Team  Trails almost all were D-1  national champs,All Americans or major contenders. Then look at the thread for Indiana wrestlers signed for college. Not a whole lot are going D-1.

Subsequently there aren't a lot of Indiana wrestlers that will be ranked high enough in the future to be considered for the team trials.

Then my question would be is the effort put into Greco and Free worth the time taken away from developing greater Folkstyle skills?Maybe using that off season time  for the incorporation some of the Greco and Freestyle skills that translate into Folkstyle. However it is only with outstanding Folkstyle skills that even let someone get to that next level. I know there are exceptions but not many. It seems like more in the heavyweights with Sigman,Delagnev and Gardner coming from D2 but if my memory serves they were national champs at that level.

So my point is what? I guess that even if the world wrestles the other styles you have to be an absolute monster Folkstyler to be even considered for an opportunity to represent this country internationally . Maybe this lack of opportunity translates in the lack of participation in the off season Free and Greco events.

So work with me on this. I understand wrestling Greco and Freestyle can help with Folkstyle. My thinking is this.There are very few opportunities for  Free and Greco outside of Olympics ,World Team maybe some Junior national events. To be considered for these areas for the most part you have to be outstanding at Folkstyle to get into a position to wrestle in these other areas.

I know there are special armed services programs and Northern Michigan for Greco but still virtually everyone is or was outstanding at Folkstyle. When you look at the lists of qualifiers for the National Team  Trails almost all were D-1  national champs,All Americans or major contenders. Then look at the thread for Indiana wrestlers signed for college. Not a whole lot are going D-1.

Subsequently there aren't a lot of Indiana wrestlers that will be ranked high enough in the future to be considered for the team trials.

Then my question would be is the effort put into Greco and Free worth the time taken away from developing greater Folkstyle skills?Maybe using that off season time  for the incorporation some of the Greco and Freestyle skills that translate into Folkstyle. However it is only with outstanding Folkstyle skills that even let someone get to that next level. I know there are exceptions but not many. It seems like more in the heavyweights with Sigman,Delagnev and Gardner coming from D2 but if my memory serves they were national champs at that level.

So my point is what? I guess that even if the world wrestles the other styles you have to be an absolute monster Folkstyler to be even considered for an opportunity to represent this country internationally . Maybe this lack of opportunity translates in the lack of participation in the off season Free and Greco events.

I think it is the fact that kids and coaches are scared of freestyle and greco.  They ALWAYS use the rule changes excuse even though there have only been minor rule changes in freestyle in the past 8 years.  Freestyle and Greco are good for the kids because it keeps them from getting burnt out on the sport.  I know for me personally I could not coach folkstyle year round, I would get bored and lose interest quickly.  When it is freestyle season I get rejuvenated and so do a lot of the kids.  Freestyle teaches you many techniques that translate into folkstyle.  Even a proper gut wrench translates into folkstyle as a nice tilt. 

Another reason for such low numbers is simply the kids wrap it up after folkstyle state and go into baseball, track and girl chasing.  There are simply enough events through folkstyle state that the kids wrestle in that they cash it in and go on to other spring activities.

I think it is the fact that kids and coaches are scared of freestyle and greco.  They ALWAYS use the rule changes excuse even though there have only been minor rule changes in freestyle in the past 8 years.  Freestyle and Greco are good for the kids because it keeps them from getting burnt out on the sport.  I know for me personally I could not coach folkstyle year round, I would get bored and lose interest quickly.  When it is freestyle season I get rejuvenated and so do a lot of the kids.  Freestyle teaches you many techniques that translate into folkstyle.  Even a proper gut wrench translates into folkstyle as a nice tilt. 

Another reason for such low numbers is simply the kids wrap it up after folkstyle state and go into baseball, track and girl chasing.  There are simply enough events through folkstyle state that the kids wrestle in that they cash it in and go on to other spring activities.

Agreed.

15 years ago Elementary Folksyle Duals didn't exist, Folkstyle season didn't exist outside of AAU tournaments. Folkstyle options for youth has wiped out freestyle and greco.

with the younger kids it has always been the case, baseball, soccer. after spring break we never have more than 6 to 12 novice and below.  older kids same thing in that other sports, girls, and jobs have kept them from coming out. maybe next week @ the team trials some of our Indiana boys can change some minds of younger wrestlers that that the season doesn't end when the wheather  gets nice.  the folkstyle off season has also blown up with Disney, Miltia and more regional the Duals all over Michigan in the summer. choices have to made alot of these happen same weeks, plus cost which is the biggest reason.

Again, let me know if I'm off the mark, but it sounds as if Folkstyle is the primary culprit - which suckssssss!!!   Given the economy, it's still hard for me to say money is the issue either as there are some solid Indiana guys right now wrestling in Michigan's NUWAY nationals. But I just left Perry Meridian's tournament and kind of felt bad for them and almost ashamed for Indiana!!  It was still a decent turnout, relatively speaking, but the numbers were almost cut in half I felt and Illinois almost had as many studs as we did.  I have never been able to go to this tournament and park in the front row, but sure enough did this time.  This is not taking anything away from the ISWA or Perry because they ran a great tournament as usual.  But I'm trying to leave at midnight - not noon!!!!  

Moving on, being an Olympic and World Champion is the highest honor a wrestler can achieve.  It is true that many of the U.S.' best wrestlers on the Olympic and World stage had success in college.  But there is no such thing as "consideration".  You either win or lose. Nothing is deserved in wrestling - you have to earn it.  Being good in Folkstyle does not necessarily transmit to being great at Freestyle or Greco, and vice verse.  If this were the case, the U.S. would be much more dominate at the Worlds and Olympics because of this attention to Folkstyle.  But we don't.  Why?  The answer in part is this increased emphasis of Folkstyle and lack of exposure in Freestyle and Greco.  It's not because we don't have the athletes or coaches.  We're just collectively focused on something different.  

The United States is NOT at the top of the food chain as a country which is why USAW, in an effort to have more success against Russia, Iran, Cuba, etc., are targeting and training Olympic hopefuls at a much younger age.  Right now at the OTC in Colorado Springs there are several H.S. kids who have bypassed H.S. wrestling specifically to train for the Worlds or Olympics full-time.  There is a definitely a conflict there as I'm sure the coaches at Pine Creek, Palmer, Coronado, etc. are mad because a well known stud from Arizona or wherever is walking through the halls but is not on the wrestling team.  But those coaches understand not just the State Champion dream, but the OLYMPIC DREAM!

We all know "summer wrestling makes winter champions", and I can see some coaches saying this emphasis on folkstyle during the summer is still mat time.  But I won state in H.S. and NEVER WRESTLED A LICK of Folkstyle after MSA or Conseco.  IT was all Freestyle and Greco.  I can honestly say those two styles, rule changes and all, are what gave me more mat awareness, mat time, FUN, and confidence to win a state title.  I enjoyed Freestyle and Greco MUCH more than I did Folkstyle.  But I'm getting old, so it will be interesting to see the participant comparison of Folkstyle to Freestyle state this year when those numbers come in.

Until then, I can understand the argument of focusing more on Folkstyle because this is what we wrestle in school, college, and most recently FILA officially recognized it.  I'm sure next year, because of this trend, there will be a lot more Folkstyle tournaments popping up after Banker's Life.  If you can't beat 'em - join 'em I guess.  The problem is if we continue to focus so heavy on Folkstyle, the U.S.' relevance will decrease on the world stage and we will suck. Then it gets bigger than Indiana, which it already is, and becomes a whole new problem.  

Now, to stop my crying, I do like Matt M's idea of qualifying for ISWA state again.  Not sure why we stopped, as I would imagine it was a valid reason.  Although this would not fix the problem entirely I think it could sure help.  My angle is the development of INDIANA WRESTLING as a whole, and ultimately the United States.  You can hate me if you want as no one can doubt my Indiana Pride :) or the fact I can hold my head up with Indiana having only one state champion per weight..... BUT if this lack of participation continues I'm going to become a proponent of something proposterous: the infamous "class wrestling" or making Folkstyle our secondary style and wrestling Freestyle and Greco throughout H.S. and college.   Hopefully this year is a just a fluke.

I apologize beforehand that this is my rant and as such is just my train of thought and may not be perfectly well organized.

Nick and I have been talking about this for days.  It is embarrassing that we have so many Indiana boys wrestling in the Olympic Team Trials and even the Last Chance Qualifier having success in Freestyle and Greco and yet now no one in Indiana is focused on it or even doing it.  I knew I would have got burned out if I had to wrestle Folkstyle after season, and even Senior year when I went to NHSWCA Senior Nationals I was mad that I had to train Folkstyle during Freestyle and Greco season.  To see so few people showing up to wrestle in Freestyle and Greco tournaments hurts to see because it shows that while we may be enjoying the prominence of Indiana wrestling right now on the National/International level there will be a dark age coming soon due to lack of interest.  I refuse to buy into the argument that people don't have the money when I see four full teams a Scholastics, people at NUWAY, Tennessee Elementary Folkstyle, Flo, and USAW Folkstyle Nationals.  If you can go on a National trip, I am sure you can afford local tournaments as well.

I think one thing that would make a huge difference is making some kind of qualifier for Freestyle State again.  I remember when my brother and I first started out we would go all over to small local tournaments looking for a chance to qualify.  And even then, there were all kinds of other people doing the same thing and it got everyone more mat time.  I remember that my first year I hadn't qualified so we went to Monrovia thinking it would be a small tournament, but it was huge with about 20 kids all of the same caliber as the top notch kids had already qualified and were not looking to travel to find a qualifier.  It provided great mat time as everyone there was looking to qualify.  Now what reason do people have to go chasing down a qualifying spot?  In response to the comment that only the same few people qualify each week, lets say that it is the top three kids that have not qualified that qualify.  That would allow for much more competition in consolations and people would no longer leave when their kid lost leaving the tournament to discover that the kid left and is FFing the rest of the way out.

My overall dream is that Folkstyle becomes the off season sport and Freestyle and Greco take over as the high school and collegiate styles so that we can actually compete with the countries that train those styles their entire life...I know it is just a dream that would likely never happen, but wouldn't it be nice to be the best in the world......

Thank god someone besides mE saying this stuff.  You want to know why we have this problem?  Then ask the Iswa leader who dragged a slew of Indiana kids to a folk tourney Tennessee this weekend.  Ask the Nuway ignoranmous. Ask USA Wrestling why the schedule 100 folk tourneys for every FS tourney.  Hell, USa Westling is oddly  our own worst enemy because they love them folk $$$$$ even over building FS for the future. 

Agreed.  Back in the day off season wrestling was freestyle.  But anymore the kids can get all the off season they want with folk style.  And by the time freestyle comes other sports are taking off.  I have watched this trend for at least a decade now.  Unless something major changes I don't see freestyle lasting in Indiana.  I would also agree that freestyle and greco are good for the kids so it will be sad to see.

I think one thing that would make a huge difference is making some kind of qualifier for Freestyle State again.

I've  thrown around the idea before of having a separation criteria for freestyle and greco state based on both local tournament finishes in both styles and past state results.  Wrestlers (maybe top 8, 12, 16 depending on size of weight class) with the highest accumulated placement points (top three possibly) in local tournament gets a better state draw (away from the other top guys early).  This slightly rewards those wrestlers who are willing to go to more local events.  Seems it would promote more local attendance and could help push a few kids on the fence to attend state since their local tournament may give them a better chance at winning of not getting a tough 2 and out state draw.  Sure a few kids may luck out from some forfeit victories at local events, but if other kids don't like it attend more events to help your chances.  I would think with our electronic advancements the local events would be able to submit these results and the state organization would have a computer program to help organize it and add it to separation criteria after registration.  I'm not sure the reality of this happening but it's definitely a way to get more attendance at events if you want to to wrestles to show for the state finals who otherwise may decide to save money and time since a tough draw would make them 2 and out.  I hate to think that way, but it seems many families are on the fence about going for just that reason.  A system like this would seem to help more think its worth attending.

As far as the idea of a regional qualifier (like a semi-state)  and then a state event it an atrempt to think outside the box to grt more interest in the event.  That stems from the though of creating more prestige of making it to the regional and state.  The closeness of a regional (semi-state) and the honor or qualifying by placing at any local event may stimulate attendance at this event.  I can easily see regional events that family's could travel to in a day drawing a much larger attendance base than state currently has now.   A increase in numbers helps the competition and also adds funds to the ISWA programs.  Win/Win if you ask me.  You pay all the state entry fees at the regional with the state association and the regional site figuring out the financial arrangent.   By placing high at the regional event you then may be stimulated at attending state since its a larger honor than the current system.  Then the top 8 maybe from each regional show to state (fee paid already at regional event) they deprecation criteria the top 2 from each and draw the rest out and wrestles.  If not everyone shows then a few byes occur but I would guess most would show if qualifying for it becomes a more prestigious thing and you already know it was paid for trough the regional event right before.  Seems like it may add a little regional pride to the event to as you want to see your area preform well not just your kid or your club.  Again maybe not something that will ever be a reality, but currently attending freestyle state has lost a little of it luster compared to how many feel about qualifying to the high school regional.   Seems if making state was something to aspire to,  tell your friends/family about, have your club point out as a goal it could get more off season wrestlers trying to attend as many events in order to put the time in to qualify.  

I have to respectfully say that for the one ISWA leader who drug a "slew" of Indiana kids to a folk tourney in Tennessee, I personally spoke to and witnessed half a dozen ISWA leaders who invested their time at Perry.  Going to NUWAY isn't so much the issue either as it's good for our kids to get national exposure.  And although I understand the point, USAW does not schedule 100 folkstyle tournaments for every one FS tourney.  USAW fully understands the need for the growth of FS and GR in the U.S., which is why they are not only targeting and training much younger wrestlers to compete at the international level, but have made a conscious decision to better inform, equip and train grass root coaches with more tools to push this growth.  A good example of this is the new and continuous updates to the Coaches Corner at http://www.themat.com/usawrestling.org/coaches.php, to better inform us.  USAW feels the pain and has to deal with this issue even more so than we do because they literally have to compete against the best in the world while our platform is a little narrower.  And as naturally competitive Americans, when we feel we have a good team in place and fall up short against our international counterparts, there is an issue.  I guarantee Zeke Jones and Brandon Slay are not satisfied with one individual champion and want to bring back a team championship.  The issue isn't USAW, or the ISWA.  Their ultimate goal is to help direct and provide opportunities.  It's up to us as coaches and wrestlers to take advantage of these opportunities.  It's like we are hitting our goals, which has generally always been a "State Championship" for our kids, but I think we are aiming to low.  Oftentimes many coaches and kids think the Olympics is so far out of reach that we don't set that expectation.  I was guilty of this and got to the point that I even began framing our rooms culture by using the verbiage "World Champion", in an effort to raise these expectations.  I never won an Olympic Gold, but I can plant that seed in our kids!  After hearing it enough there may be someone that actually believes and works towards it.  Even still, it's like aiming for the stars and at least we'll hit the clouds.  But again, as I am typing this I realize this is a DEEP issue for Indiana, and our present course is scary.  It's almost going to take a big time 3- 5 year marketing campaign to change the perception of FS & GR in Indiana or else it's ugly.  Matt M and Morgan both have great ideas on how we do our part and I'm sure the ISWA is taking notes.

Oftentimes many coaches and kids think the Olympics is so far out of reach that we don't set that expectation.  I was guilty of this and got to the point that I even began framing our rooms culture by using the verbiage "World Champion", in an effort to raise these expectations.  I never won an Olympic Gold, but I can plant that seed in our kids!  After hearing it enough there may be someone that actually believes and works towards it.  Even still, it's like aiming for the stars and at least we'll hit the clouds.

Coach Hull you hit on a big point with developing the mentality of the youth wrestler to see beyond their current situation.  Many times kids only have goals of what they see right in front of them.  Other times they set huge goals but have no sense of what it take to reach those goals.  Since many kids in our area don't even know what wrestling is (beyond the fake WWE connection or MMA reference) these guys had little clue about wrestling history, or current news in youth wrestling,, with high school, in college, and internationally.  I think developing that "wrestling culture" is the first step in wrestlers seeing what is possible beyond their little world.  After seeing what else was out there and how talented some other in the state were I then could started to instill the idea that they needed to set their goals well beyond just that Middle School end of season tournament.  This was something many of them had not thought past.  For more insight into this mentality I strongly suggest read up on some of Coach Miracles posts about Kayla's goals and how what she is doing now fits into that mission.   Then develop a short term plan for what they could do this season to improve their ability in order to get closer to that goal.  This is the Rome wasn't build in a day mentality, where I always point out wrestlers in our program that were not studs to start with but slowly plugged away on their skills and eventually developed into some of the top guys in the end (plus the flip side of young studs than never put in the work and thus never developed past their early success).  This process then is a good jump off point to start talking about opportunities to catch up on mat time, develop your skills further and/or see more of the states talent which can all be done through the Freestyle/Greco programs we have.  While this is still a work in progress of the last few years it has definitely help create more of an interest in "wrestling culture" and improving their wrestling skills by participating in the off season in some way.  Maybe in the end most will never get to some major goals, but by goal setting, making a realistic yearly improvement plans, and putting in the work ethic will end up taking more of them father than they would go other wise.  Plus, in general it will help them attack life's problems in a proper way on.  

Freestyle and Greco are down, but Folkstyle is up.  I have noticed that Folkstyle is being painted as an enemy by some. 

It was an option given to werestlers by USA and the ISWA.  Many wrestlers decided to take that option over the folkstyle or greco option. 

I enjoy freestyle and encourage all of our wrestlers to compete in freestyle.  However, I think many wrestlers use folkstyle to get in a lot of mat time, without having to give up any baseball or other sport time.  Kids can now wrestle and do other summer sports without sharing time.

I have read a few posts about changing our freestyle state.  This is something that I think if done right could really boost the interest in freestyle.  Making the state tournament a true experience would be great for freestyle.  Currently, outside of a posium, the state tournament feels like a regular tournament.  Even when wehad a top 3 at local tournament to qualify, it still just felt like a regular tournament.  If we could get a regional type tournament to quualify for state, along with a wildcard system, and then made this tournament different and made the experience difference than maybe that could be something that many wrestlers, and parents of wrestlers, would want to experience. 

Indiana has wrestlers and alot of wrestlers.  We just need to keep them wrestling after March.

Folkstyle season was huge this year we took a large number of kids to alot of folkstyle events this year.  Freestyle and greco whether we want to say it or not but years ago began a slow decline.  I loved to wrestle freestyle when I was in school but I can tell you I am not a fan of all of the rule changes FILA has brought to the table since my time in the 90's.

Also Folkstyle season wraps up at the beginning of most spring sports so it doesn't have to compete with wrestlers who run track or play golf.

Pushout rule - even though intentions were right to make the wrestlers wrestle and not play the line, I see it being used more by kids to just "push" there kids out to score rather than actually attempt a takedown.  Thats perfectly legal but not a fan of this tactic.

Winning periods-really hated this rule when if came out, it is growing on me but still not a fav

I still brought 17 wrestlers to Jeff's ironman meet this past weekend and placed 2nd overall as a team in freestyle but if I had to choice one style it would be folkstyle especially since it is now officially by FILA as traditional style....maybe American Folkstyle in the Olympics someday who knows.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.