Minor improvements for next year

luv2compete

What changes should be made for next year.

One change that would be cool is to utilize the huge teletron that hangs in the center.  While everyone is waiting for hours before the event starts, a slide show should be going with slides of the wrestlers during the season.  Have all schools submit photos and put a slide show with music of wrestling photos.  That would truly be entertaining.  Also, when the Parade of Champions walk out, put the school name, and the kids who qualified on the tele-tron so we know who is who.  Why not!  On Friday night have a camera man working the crowd while we are waiting and put fans faces on the tele-tron.  So much fun to watch.  I think the only complaint I would have is getting there 2 hours early and waiting.  So use the tele-tron please! 

Not a big one but part of the asthetics that lead to the total experience.   Turn of the big circle of advertisements during the introduction (or at least make them dark colors).  It make the field house bright enough it looked like light from outside was shinning in.  That took away a little bit from the aurora of the faceoff since we could see everything around easily.

Maybe some things to keep keep in the back of your mind to explore for the future since some people coming up who are on te technical side.  Also if we are going back to the old tournament scoring please post those scores on the jumbo-tron a free times so everyone can keep up.  I know Ohio, Minn, and a few other states show some fancy videos in between rounds that highlight the past to the present of state finals including pictures, videos, and interviews with past legends.  Something like that would be a really impressive piece of a broadcasting student had the time to work with the IHSAA to make.  Not sure if there is the man power and technical ability but I always thought using the full ability of the jumbo-tron to post final match scores or at least a list of round winners would be neat.  Though the track wrestling addition with the use of mobile Internet devices helps solve this.  But  i understand that's not a major priority compared to several other items.

Not a big one but part of the asthetics that lead to the total experience.   Turn of the big circle of advertisements during the introduction (or at least make them dark colors).  It make the field house bright enough it looked like light from outside was shinning in.  That took away a little bit from the aurora of the faceoff since we could see everything around easily.

Also if we are going back to the old tournament scoring please post those scores on the jumbo-tron a fee times so everyone can keep up.  I know Ohio, Minn, and a few other states show some fancy videos in between rounds that highlight the past to the present of state finals including pictures, videos, and interviews with past legends.  Something like that would be a really impressive piece of a broadcasting student had the time to work with the IHSAA to make.  Not sure if there is the man power and technical ability but I always thought using the full ability of the jumbo-tron to post final match scores or at least a list of round winners would be neat.  But understand that's not a major priority compared to several other items.

Good post all the people around me talked about that stupid IHSAA advertisement that went around during the intros..We understand that it is an IHSAA event. The music for the intros was annoying..not that I hate AC/DC but I guess I'm still a sucker for old Market Square style...Bankers Life is awesome and I'm really happy it is there..but I really do miss Market square..it was a perfect arena for the greatest High school sporting event.

Also, it is a shame when everyone leaves before the heavy weights. And please give the Mental Attitude Award maybe before the finals start.  Abraham Hall deserved a full house when he got that award. 

I agree totally!  It is 10:30 to 11:00 when this thing ends, and I have a 2 hour drive home.  I stay for the heavy weights but simply can't stay for the mental attitude award but would love to.  Why not announce it when they are recognizing the outstanding official for the year.  This award is too important to present it to an empty arena.  This tournament doesn't need to end at 10:30 by the way.  That dumba%% 3 hour break before the consolations and finals is ridiculous.  I realize that it is about selling tickets for the different rounds and about the almighty dollar, but for the love of God, just make all tickets $20 regardless of when you come and not evacuate the arena for this round.  Take an hour break and start consolations.  It would be over at 8 oclock and people could then get home at a decent hour.  That 3 hour break is by far the worst part of this experience.  Almost enough to keep me from coming back the next year.

I have been coming to the tournament for years. I understand they want all the money they can get. Saturday morning you come in ONLY GIVE them the opportunity for all day pass and charge the people who only come for the championships for a single session. I literally saw a kid plunge face first trying to run up the stairs to get his ticket scanned. We all know this is a mad rush that there is NO NEED FOR!!!! If I want to sit there all day and not leave let me. Quite frankly more would be made in concessions that way. ALSO there is a way to scan the tickets to acknowledge that someone is leaving and rescan it on re-entry. USE IT. I know it is nice to know the exact number of spectators so we know if we have a record breaking crowd but there has to be a better way to do it.  Is it going to take someone getting really hurt and the IHSAA getting sued for them to realize that they need to change something?

I have been coming to the tournament for years. I understand they want all the money they can get. Saturday morning you come in ONLY GIVE them the opportunity for all day pass and charge the people who only come for the championships for a single session. I literally saw a kid plunge face first trying to run up the stairs to get his ticket scanned. We all know this is a mad rush that there is NO NEED FOR!!!! If I want to sit there all day and not leave let me. Quite frankly more would be made in concessions that way. ALSO there is a way to scan the tickets to acknowledge that someone is leaving and rescan it on re-entry. USE IT. I know it is nice to know the exact number of spectators so we know if we have a record breaking crowd but there has to be a better way to do it.  Is it going to take someone getting really hurt and the IHSAA getting sued for them to realize that they need to change something?

I know that the mad dash is ridiculous.  But I don't want to lose the general admission aspect of the tournament.  I don't want to have to sit where they put me either.

Reserved seating... Enough with wrestler mom, or grandpa, or bully dad fending off people so 10 people can sit together.

And a song about venereal disease probably isn't appropriate during face-offs either.

I had a guy rudely tell me "excuse me, I'm trying to take pictures!" as I'm standing there trying to find a seat that wasn't "reserved", with my 7 year old daughter Begging to sit and watch some action.  He was met with an equally abrasive retort (I don't respond well to anus's).  I found a grouping and took two seats by force, just like we did in Nam.

Ill say, the worst fans for me were the Hobart fans. I'm glad they got excited for their kids, but they stood for about ten minutes, and the hugging and slapping of hands made it hard to enjoy Friday night around the 126 and 160 matches.  We finally moved up top and found our hometown people and had no issues seeing

I had a guy rudely tell me "excuse me, I'm trying to take pictures!" as I'm standing there trying to find a seat that wasn't "reserved", with my 7 year old daughter Begging to sit and watch some action.  He was met with an equally abrasive retort (I don't respond well to anus's).  I found a grouping and took two seats by force, just like we did in Nam.

Ill say, the worst fans for me were the Hobart fans. I'm glad they got excited for their kids, but they stood for about ten minutes, and the hugging and slapping of hands made it hard to enjoy Friday night around the 126 and 160 matches.   We finally moved up top and found our hometown people and had no issues seeing

This is why I'm going suite next year

This is why I'm going suite next year

Suites are the best options. As we were standing on the floor Friday nite and watched the flood gates open, Tskin, Prepare_to_win, and me all agreed it was well worth the extra money. Same goes w finals. U can go out and get a decent meal w/o feeling rushed or having to have binocs to watch the finals.

Suites are the best options. As we were standing on the floor Friday nite and watched the flood gates open, Tskin, Prepare_to_win, and me all agreed it was well worth the extra money. Same goes w finals. U can go out and get a decent meal w/o feeling rushed or having to have binocs to watch the finals.

Suites are too far up for my liking.  Heck if you don't mind sitting that high up you don't really  have to wait in line.  I like lower level 4 or 5 rows up in center.  Other wise you might as well stay home and watch it online.  Wrestling is not meant to be watched from afar in my opinion.

My vote for championship intros is go to the pyro laser light show. Just like the wwe. That would be awesome. Or maybe Mr buffer with his trade mark let's get ready to rummmmbbblllleeee!!!!! I'm getting goose bumps thinking about it lol.

I have an idea to keep people watching the heavyweights: random draw the starting weight class like they do in dual meets. I know this is against tradition, but I can't see any major drawbacks to it. I think this would be fair to the heavies.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.