NEVER have ticket round wrestlebacks!!!

wildcatcountry97

I hear a lot of discussion about ticket round wrestlebacks. Please NEVER advocate this.

This is by far the most exciting round of wrestling in the entire season.

If there are wrestlebacks all of the drama of will he be a state qualifier or will he go home will be gone. That would be like having a consolation bracket in the NCAA basketball tournament where the losers can come back to win it all. Yah, a guy or two might miss out on qualifying, but don't say it isnt fair - they all have an equal opportunity at the draw, and equal opportunity to win their respective matches to earn their qualification.

Good or bad, think about how exciting this round is to watch!

Don't ever ruin the most exciting round of wrestling all year - Please

I hear a lot of discussion about ticket round wrestlebacks. Please NEVER advocate this.

If there are wrestlebacks all of the drama of will he be a state qualifier or will he go home will be gone. That would be like having a consolation bracket in the NCAA basketball tournament where the losers can come back to win it all. Yah, a guy or two might miss out on qualifying, but don't say it isnt fair - they all have an equal opportunity at the draw, and equal opportunity to win their respective matches to earn their qualification.

Despite how exciting you think it is, there is no way you can argue that its fair.  Too many of the best wrestlers in a given weight class at each semi-state miss out on qualifying because of bad draws.

Oh, there is a way I can argue it's fair! ha - you must not be familiar with The Cat.

They all have an equal chance at the draws. They all have the same opportunity to win two matches. By definition, that is fair.

- The argument that someone got a bad draw is irrelevant because they each had the same chance at the draw. (fair)

- Also what if one semistate is drastically stronger at a weight class ? Should we then make the 3rd and 4th place at Ft. Wayne wrestler the 5th-8th guys from Evansville? That would ensure that only the best guys get through. Point is, you have to win if you want to qualify. It's impossible to ensure the 'best' 16 get to the tournament, but if you are one of the 'best' 16 you can ensure your own spot by winning two matches at SemiState. And everyone has the same opportunity and chance. - Thus, fair.

So, ruining that exciting round for the sake of wrestling back is pointless. We could have wrestlebacks forever at every stage but the point is, its completely fair. You show up, you win, you advance. You don't win, you get poorer draws, you decrease your chances of a good draw, but you still have the same opportunity to win two matches and qualify. FAIR as can be.

umm, yes, it would be transfered and spread out, thus making the rounds less exciting.  I think it's kind of common sense that if you 'spread out' the drama then its less exciting than putting all the drama together. No? For instance if Obama has his way and I spread out my wealth, I have less wealth. You spread out the drama, less drama.

TNT Semi-State  We know drama.

Ticket round and first round of state are by far two of the best rounds of wrestling. Like someone said its the hype of who gets to be a sq and who goes home is part of the deal. This is coming from a 1 time state qualifier losing two ticket round matches, one to a state champ and one because i choked. If wrestle backs would have existed i could very well have qualified at least 2 maybe 3 times but the fact of the matter is i know what its like to win that ticket round match and know the sebse of gratitude i felt when i finally won it. To take that feeling away from some athletes because we want wrestle backs is not fair. Not to mention the excitement from the spectators!

Wrestle backs would just make another round exciting,  it would make state better, and u dont have the possibility of someone who should get to state losing in ticket round. Possible example. Two top 4 guys wrestle at regionals. Then one draws the number 1... real fair huh? Also lets say a person takes 4 in a strong regional and draws a weak regionals 1st, then the 2nd and 3rdi might of got punished for beating/placing higher then the 4th4next from their own regional. Its not fair to them. Wrestl backa would make it closer to the correct 16 in the state atleast

mao - I feel like you didn't even read the other posts before composing that nonsense.

Mao sounds communist anyhow... I'm just sayin

i read everything. And wrestle backs would let people do the talking woth their wrestling instead of drawing into a possible state champ and ending their season. The only plus to not having wrestle backs is that drama would be slightly decreased. It would still be there but only in the colensolations. Im sorry for wanting state tournament to be at least the closest to the top 161 as possible, instead of having kids get their season ended do to bad luck.

If me remember correctly werent alot of people complaining how the semi states lasted way to long........so here we are....talking in circles.

i was not one of those people. It is a long day, but i was just pointing out that imo wrestle backs are more positive then then negtatives mentioned. But, the only arguement worth anything is that semi state takes to long. The drama argument isnt good imo because ts for the fans, period, this is high school. This should be for the kids not the fans, which, wrestle backs would benifit the better wrestlers.

Mao- No, all that matters is not the champ, thats why we have Regionals....Semi-State and advance 3 NON-Champs from SS.  Otherwise we would only advance the champ. I'm fine with the way it is. I am however tired of people crying that they got a bad draw. As I stated, everyone has the same opportunity to get the draws, so it is fair by definition. And if you draw into a returning state champ you probably didn't win your regional. Trying to have all of these extra matches only delays things, reduces excitement, and you still wont get the best 16 always because you cannot seed between regionals. Plus the IHSAA isn't goin for it ever, the other sports don't have 're-tries' to advance through the state tournament.

Well I don't know if you have ever been to an Illinois state tournament, but it runs quite different, and the class system allows for smaller sub-sets to incorporate wrestlebacks. It's so different you cannot compare. The system cannot be perfect. Win 2 matches or shut up and go home. 

Wildcat, have you ever heard of track, cross country, swimming, golf, or tennis?  They all have "retries" by  your definition.  I'm not saying I think we should or shouldn't have wrestlebacks, just we need to stop making decisions based on "it's cooler for the fans".  Same argument people use against class wrestling,  "we wouldn't know how the true champ is and there wouldnt be a spotlight or snow cones".  It's hard to believe someone can actually think a random draw is the most fair way to put a wrestler in a better or worse situation to qualify for state.  I do agree though, it is the best round of wrestling by a mile, just not certain it's the best thing for our sport.

Well I don't know if you have ever been to an Illinois state tournament, but it runs quite different, and the class system allows for smaller sub-sets to incorporate wrestlebacks. It's so different you cannot compare. The system cannot be perfect. Win 2 matches or shut up and go home. 

Ive wrestled at state in il twice so I think I know their system a lot better than you.  The wrestleback system il employs could easily be duplicated here. 

1OldWrestler:

I couldn't agree more! The current system is a joke and the IHSAA system at SS is ridiculous.

Determining who goes down state should never be the "luck of the draw". It should be the BEST 4 wrestlers earning their spot.

Exciting for you, yes.  Devastating to a kid that is 3rd best in the weight class and loses in ticket round to the kid that is 1st or 2nd best.  Translation: the four best wrestlers do not advance.  I am not certain but I don't think decisions like wrestle backs at semi state should be made based on the amusement of fans.  I mean I get it, it does make for good drama and excitement.  I'm just thinking about it from a parent's perspective.  If it was my kid losing in the ticket round and not advancing due to a crappy draw with no wrestle backs, I'd be heart broken. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.