HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT: Classed Team Duals State Finals scoring system finalized!

maligned

Alright, the document everyone has been waiting for is here. 

There WILL be a 2012-2013 IHSWCA Classed Team Duals State Finals event!

Here is the official selection procedure and scoring system document, describing how the 8 teams from each of three classes will be determined.  It is based almost exclusively on how well individuals on your team do in the upcoming IHSAA individual state finals. 

This scoring system was meticulously researched and developed and predicts very effectively who will be the best teams next year.  If there had been an event this year, 22 of the 24 invited teams would be ranked in the top 11 of their class right now--and all the Big Dogs from each class with a legitimate chance to win state would have been invited.

You will be able to track your team's score all through the next 4 weeks RIGHT HERE!!

We believe this event will be very special!  Get fired up!!

http://indianamat.com/stuff/IHSWCA_Duals_State_Finals_Selection_Procedures.pdf

Looks like a pretty impressive data process.  Thanks to all involved in developing it.

A couple questions I thought of.

A)  When calculating the data for the Genius Ratings, is there any way to account for teams that do not post any results?  Obviously there are a lot that do and that should eliminate any team slipping through the cracks, but I wonder if that would affect other parts of the process (specifically sectional strength multiplers)?

B)  Can you post a contact for submitting forms (and maybe a link to the form) for injury adjustments?

Looks like a plan is in place, which is more than is usually accomplished.  Again, thanks to all who developed this.

Looks great! A ton of work from some dedicated individuals. I do have one question. Will the IHSAA give those teams invited a "waiver", so they can wrestle an extra tournament, or will they have to drop a tourney from their regular schedule in order to participate? I could see this causing some scheduling problems. Also, what about the one wild card team picked during the season of the tournament? Without a waiver, they would have to cancel a meet that is already on their schedule. I'm sure this has already been discussed and accounted for, I just didn't see it.

Thanks again for all the hard work for our sport!

B)  Can you post a contact for submitting forms (and maybe a link to the form) for injury adjustments?

Coach Struck and I are working on getting announcements and instructions to all the sectional tournament directors for this point.  If that doesn't work as well as we hope, we'll post something online.

A)  When calculating the data for the Genius Ratings, is there any way to account for teams that do not post any results?  Obviously there are a lot that do and that should eliminate any team slipping through the cracks, but I wonder if that would affect other parts of the process (specifically sectional strength multiplers)?

The multiplier was developed based on full-season data from all teams from last season.  There was plenty of data for everyone.  The multiplier is the only place Genius is used in any aspect of the points...and it will always be a year ahead so that a full season of data creates it.

Looks complicated , but I will give it a shot.  That being said thank you coaches association for getting the word out before the sectionals take place.  This is a huge step forward for our sport and it will be helpful in producing the best class tournament we can currently do.  Thank you for the hard work.

Great work on the details. 

I did notice that of the current top 20 teams 18 of them are 3A schools.  (1@2A  and 1@1A)

Unless I'm missing something, you can pretty much pencil in Mater Dei @ 1A every year.

Do you have results from last year for us to look at with total points scored and so on?  How many points did it take last year to make it to the tournament last  year for each class?  I think formulas can make for bad selection, but I will give this a shot before I bad mouth the picks.

Do you have results from last year for us to look at with total points scored and so on?  How many points did it take last year to make it to the tournament last  year for each class?  I think formulas can make for bad selection, but I will give this a shot before I bad mouth the picks.

We all wanted badly for there to be a strong element of "you earn it on the mat."  That's why we created a Scoring System--not a rating system.  If your team performs well during the individual tournament, you can earn a position.  If not, you won't.  

Don't get too bogged down in the details.  At its core, you earn points two ways:

1. Your undergrads earn points, straight up.  What they earn is what you get.  

2. Your full team gives you a "per person" replacement score that we use to tell us what a normal new starter in your program will earn next year.

Add the two together and you have your points.  It's fully dependent on what you do in the upcoming state series--earn your way in!

For 2A, you would have needed about 220 points to be first in line for the last couple positions.  All 8 of the teams that would have earned the positions are in the Top 9 of the current 2A coaches' rankings.

Confused on some of the multipliers for sectional/regionals.  

When I looked it over I guessed it was for determining the small school divisions and the multipliers were estimated to reflect the school sizes that attend those sectionals.  Either that or strenght of competition maybe.  Thus allowing for the small school rating to be set at a more even level reguardless of what sectional they were in.  If there seems to be a discrepancy on why some sectionals are so high or low that I could not venture a guess at.

I agree though a nice job on research and development considering the amount of calculations that had to be organized to keep everything even.

Confused on some of the multipliers for sectional/regionals. 

It's a strength adjuster that helps project how many sectional and regional points you would have if you were in a perfectly average sectional.  Yours is weak because there's Yorktown, you, and virtually nothing else.  The points depth is very, very low because of the many smaller, weaker schools--so it's too easy for a decent team (you) to rack up huge sectional/regional points (according to our scoring system) because of advancing more than you would in a more balanced sectional.

Where do I find the form for Injured/Returning Wrestlers?

We're working on getting something to the sectional tourney directors.  If this doesn't work out how we hope, we'll post something here on the website.

It's a strength adjuster that helps project how many sectional and regional points you would have if you were in a perfectly average sectional.  Yours is weak because there's Yorktown, you, and virtually nothing else.  The points depth is very, very low because of the many smaller, weaker schools--so it's too easy for a decent team (you) to rack up huge sectional/regional points (according to our scoring system) because of advancing more than you would in a more balanced sectional.

Is Carroll really that tough of a sectional to have a 1.3 multiplier?  That is a huge multiplier

I do not disagree about our sectional, however I would suggest our regional will be tougher than what some people expect.

Is Carroll really that tough of a sectional to have a 1.3 multiplier?  That is a huge multiplier

I do not disagree about our sectional, however I would suggest our regional will be tougher than what some people expect.

Im guessing maligned's formulas aren't open to suggestion

I'm always open to suggestions, by the way.  :) 

The Carroll sectional is very deep.  Although there's no one dominating team, there's a lot of overall quality that makes it very difficult to get a high volume of points for a particular team.

We probably had an anomoly a few years back when one 1 a team had 3 high state placers and a losing team record.  Indian Creek I believe.  Is there anyway that you could do a simple check of the teams that are near the top and make sure they have a nice winning percentage within thier division from the previous year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.