Heavyweight over weight????

bigworm285

word is penn could be without their highly ranked heavy because he is over weight? anyone know this situation? has there ever been a heavy weight that couldnt wrestle a season because he couldnt shed some baby fat?

There were probably some that wouldn't, but I doubt very many couldn't shed the weight.

I saw a heavyweight who sat out a whole season because he was arounf 330-340 as an underclassman.  He came back for junior and senior year on weight and doing pretty good for his regional area.

330-340? Chris Taylor would have laughed at that little guy...

My heavyweight son is always trying to put weight on!  Plays football at about 250, but is wrestling at 236 or so!!  

Always love seeing the "little" heavies take on the "big" heavies!!  And win!!

My son also is a small Hwt 6"2 @260lbs compared to most we have seen, but if a kid is coming down from 320lbs or so I see where making weight is a issue, but would like to see these young men for more importantly  health issues get their weight under control. If a 6"3 or under 15-18 year old kid can't get to 285lbs at this point in his life, then what does that say about his future health? It only gets tougher as they get older also, but a example of what can be done with a young body once you get the weight under control is amazing. We have a kid on our team that as a freshman wrestled Hwt @275lbs-280lbs, and now is our 220lbs and  as his body, eating habits, excersing regiment are changing I think this kid may be about 200lbs - 210lbs when he starts college next year!

6'2"  260 is not a small Heavyweight.........not close.

I agree...my son is 6'/236 lbs, so he easily gives up 25-45 lbs in many matches, but competes with strength, speed and smarts.  He has wrestled one kid smaller and one about the same size this season out of 16 matches.  All others were larger, with the largest being 283 lbs.  The average heavyweight he has seen is about 260-275.

assume an alpha weight of 320...losing an allowable 1.5% per week would be 4.8 pounds per week. He would be 315.2 after 1 week, 310.4 after 2, 305.6, then 300.8, 296, 291.2, 286.4 then finally after 8 weeks he could be at 281.6 and be able to compete. Actually if we break it down into daily loss (4.8/7 = .6857 pounds per day) and he could compete after 3 days of the 8th week. Certainly not impossible for someone who wants to wrestle and is willing to work and wait for his opportunity.

How many weigh ins would be necessary to be eligible for post season?  Seems like that might be a problem if you start in week 8.

You must have 6 weigh ins before the sectional seeding meeting. Only one of them has to be at 285 or less to wrestle HWT.

I wrestled with a guy that played O-line at Ball St. and with the Lions.  He had to cut down from 310 to 275 after football season (when the limit was 275).  That cut is no joke.  It was a fast enough cut that he lost a lot of muscle in the process.  He was not an un-athletic 310 either.  Some dudes are just big.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.