IHSWCA Classed Team State - Possible Date

Darrick Snyder

If you guys want to do it as early as December 22nd, why not just make the Traicoff the Team State? Traicoff already has 8 or more of the state's top ranked programs in it. Cathedral always limps into that with a mixed bag line-up from the football playoffs, but most of the top teams are there already. Is it too far for E'ville teams?

I Like that idea

ontherise29,

I just want to do what the majority of coaches in the state of Indiana want to do.  We are never going to have every single coach agree that one date is the best.  However, we should do everything possible to choose a date that a majority of coaches want.  Once we figure out what a majority of coaches want, we should make this date public ahead of time to give coaches that desire to participate in a classed team state the ability to adjust their schedule.  For example, if the majority of coaches want a classed team state on the same date of the Mishawaka Al Smith Classic, I would adjust the date of our tournament so that we and the schools in our tournament would have the opportunity to participate if selected.  I am not saying this is an option for all coaches, but certainly I can't be the only one.  I guess I am just saying lets work on this together.  Lets find out what a majority of coaches want, make decisions, and get that information out there. 

Thanks!

Snyder

Haha I like the idea of team state at Calumet b/c it is like 5 minutes from my house. I love the Idea on a classed team state at any location, any date. This will become the toughest day in Indiana wrestling and any team not willing to rearrange their schedule to compete is doing a dis service to their program. I hope this really takes off right now is the time to seize the opportunity.

Thanks and sorry for the misinterpretation of comment Mike

I say move the Individual state back a week and hold the Team state the week after semistate

Or move the whole series back and hold it the week before sectionals.  Or the IHSAA call pull the stick out there butt and let it happen the week after state.  Or even a combination of a semi-state round the week prior and the state dual finals in between weeks or after. Plenty of options but te IHSAA doesn't want there name on it nor for it to take away from there marquee wrestling event.

I don't agree at all with classing it. However,  if that is what err'body wants, so be it.

Why not mix up the dates and venues for different classes? Since it sounds like all the small school advocates don't have a team full of individual state contenders (only a couple in most cases), make their team state earlier in the season. They won't be able to hang on to most of their wrestlers that get knocked out in the open individual tournament in most cases anyway. For the "large school" or whatever it is that you guys want to class it, it will have to be later in the season (or after) in my opinion as any non-IHSAA Team State is secondary to a an individual IHSAA state title.

Not sure it matters for total buy-in anyway since it appears the IHSAA will award a team title at the Individual State Finals. 

I like 2 weeks before sectionals.  I know there are some conference tourneys, but conference tourneys could be moved back, because there is not much going on besides other conference tourneys the following weekend.  That gives the whole season to invite the proper teams and also doesn't effect any of the major tournements.  Lets just try and make it so the schedule is set every year.  That way teams do not have to change their schedule more then once for the tournement.  The later in the year the better plus schools would bring more students if it was not during the holidays.

I think it could be ran like the NCAA basketball championship.  Run it with 3 classes, invite the top 64 in each class, alot of teams won't have a full team, some won't have but a few dual wins, don't invite them that year.  Have a Tuesday dual with 4 teams, shouldn't be that hard to get 4 teams in the same class, close enough to get thru 2 duals on a weeknight, it's been done before, winner advances.  After Tuesday there would be 16 teams in each class left, another dual on Thursday, that leaves 8 teams in each class for a Saturday Team State Finals.  Make it a week in January, schools will adjust there conference tourney around it or be left out, simple enough.

I'll pass on that extra slice of bologna, you probably..... nevermind I will keep it clean.  I will be making a delivery order for a Ryan Sandburger from Between the Buns.

Bite your tounge Anne Wiesjahn has helped make those sandwiches and she is a saint I say A SAINT!!!!!!

I am not sure on all the details of the proposal, but does it allow for a small school like MD to compete against the top regardless of classe. To be honest, looking at the classed rankings, I would have exactly zero interest in seeing those matchups against MD for the small class.

Please list the last 10 yrs of what would be the class powerhouses in the respective classes, so we could get an idea of what teams really have a chance, for instance who would really compete with a class 2A Mater dei, just curious not jumping to anything just trying to see the big picture of what we'll potentially be seeing....like the idea of class team, just worried that it will be very lopsided in a couple classes....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.