Cody Phillips committs to wrestle for....

Y2CJ41

Congratulations....Boy, this wasn't predicted.  ;D  http://indianamat.com/messageboard/index.php/topic,17854.0.html  ;D

(I still think 'certs' to Northwestern, or some under expected radar, like Cornell, Harvard, etc.  If he is thinking more wrestling, like future

Olympics, then he ends up at Oklahoma State)

Cody  to Minnesota Seems like a great fit - he has body style that could keep him at 125 for a while. He will have to earn his way into the line up, but this kid

is up to the task.  He reminds me of Leroy Vega who ended up with a great career for the rodents, er, I mean Gophers.  8)

This whole story and signing is interesting and "what if" compelling on many levels:

1.  When was the last time that Minnesota get's a high quality Indiana guy that was beaten by two others at his weight his Junior year? Just think about that for a

minute.  Certainly not meaning this as a negative, but it is more recognition of the Indiana depth in those lower weights.

2.  I would bet that Minnesota got Mr. Phillips and an unexpected discount; probably less than 35% of full ride.  Minnesota can send a gift card to Mason Todd

& Brooks who had great seasons and gave him his three losses last year.  Last years State semifinals / finals had a significant impact on the recruiting ferris wheel.

If Cody wins that weight las year, his selection of school, their money available, and the indirect impact on other Indiana signings might have been really interesting.

Could be really fun if last years 112 top four all move up to 119 this year.

3.  Reported that Minnesota also made a hard push for Kyle Ayersman when official recruiting opened in July.

Anyone know what are Mason Todd's plans?

2.  I would bet that Minnesota got Mr. Phillips and an unexpected discount; probably less than 35% of full ride.  Minnesota can send a gift card to Mason Todd

& Brooks who had great seasons and gave him his three losses last year.  Last years State semifinals / finals had a significant impact on the recruiting ferris wheel.

If Cody wins that weight las year, his selection of school, their money available, and the indirect impact on other Indiana signings might have been really interesting.

I waited a day to respond. 

Im not going to say you are stupid,  but apparently you are an idiot to this topic and should not have even put in your two cents.    do you honestly believe that there was some type of conversation between Minesota and Phillips that went something like  "Well Mr Phillips we would really like to give you an 80 % scholarship but since you ONLY have two Indiana State titles we will only give you 35%. "

Where on earth did you get the idea that Brooks beat Phillips 3 times.  For your information  Phillips is 136-2.  and 133 of those victories were without a defeat.  Who do you think backed out of the race for Cody after last year??? 

Again just comment on things you know and let everything else go.

2.  I would bet that Minnesota got Mr. Phillips and an unexpected discount; probably less than 35% of full ride.   Minnesota can send a gift card to Mason Todd

& Brooks who had great seasons and gave him his three losses last year.   Last years State semifinals / finals had a significant impact on the recruiting ferris wheel.

I waited a day to respond.   

Im not going to say you are stupid,  but apparently you are an idiot to this topic and should not have even put in your two cents.    do you honestly believe that there was some type of conversation between Minesota and Phillips that went something like  "Well Mr Phillips we would really like to give you an 80 % scholarship but since you ONLY have two Indiana State titles we will only give you 35%. "

Where on earth did you get the idea that Brooks beat Phillips 3 times.   For your information  Phillips is 136-2.  and 133 of those victories were without a defeat.   Who do you think backed out of the race for Cody after last year??? 

Again just comment on things you know and let everything else go.

1st, not sure what you are all huffy about, and your uninformed ACP response.  I  meant to say 2 losses, as he was beaten by Mason Todd once, and then Brooks in the semi's, not twice, my error. I had miswritten, confusing his 2 losses on the year with the 3rd place at 112lb.

2nd as I have said, my opinion is his Phillips style, explosiveness , and conditioning translates well to college, and UMinn could be a great fit, a lot like the Leroy Vega situation a few years back. If you had any understanding of DI wrestling, you would know that is a compliment.  Leroy became a 2x NCAA-AA and was a foundation for their NCAA championship emergence. 

3rd I know a bit about what is going on.  It is not a personal comment, it?s a comment about reality of Division I recruiting process and finances that is rarely understood or you never hear about. Some find it very interesting.  If you don?t think Junior year performance. or the depth in a state or target recruiting area impacts how much is offered, quite frankly you do not know what you are talking about.  A deep weight class could sometimes have some program constantly assessing interchangeability of wrestlers and trade-offs based on many other factors already noted.  The depth of the weight classes in Indiana likely impacts what teams may be willing to allocate.

I never said any team backed out. Teams can not officially offer until end of Jr. year, so the big unknown is what the money available is, timing, if wrestler is ready to make a decision etc.  These things all impact what programs will and have available to offer.   

4th  College recruiting finances involves a lot of factors on top of state and national performance.  Schools have 9 full scholarships to allocate to 10 weight classes with goal to have at least 2-3 per weight class.  Many other factors include:

 Luck in all the above and below, especially timing and scholarship availability for the year

 Needs for weight class immediate, and future, and projected for

 Money allocated, graduations, un-planned redshirts, potential transfers, injuries

 Money available for that year, wrestler commitment timing being strung out

 Money from other sources like wrestler parent wealth, legacy, academic, and need grants that can allow programs to re-allocate athletic scholarship funds to other wrestlers,

 How the school is allowed to allocate In-state, out of state tuition in the calculations

5th ? If you are saying that UMinn offering 30% or so is an insult, you could be uninformed;  to some this may be a good thing.  Again, it is not personal; it is the reality of DI recruiting and the competition in the Big Ten and at Minnesota.  YOU might want to take a look at Minnesota roster to educate yourself on reality of the sport before crying ? idiot? .  Minnesota carries a 40 man roster ? State champs are a dime a dozen ? 25 wrestlers in their room were State champs somewhere:

 1x State Champs - Six (6)

 2x State Champs - five (5)

 3x State Champs - Ten (10)

 4x State Champs - Two (2)

 5x & 6x State Champs - Three(3)

 OLYMPIC  Wrestler - One  (Jake Deitchler)

 Fargo/other Freestyle Champ  or Top 10 Ranked Recruit ? More than 10

Minnesota has added some big money allocated in the 2010, and 2011 highly ranked recruiting classes. So in addition to Cody, their projected 2012 class include the likes of MN 3x State champ and Fargo finalists Dakota Trom, and noted national multi-age group freestyle/Greco national champion Sam Brancal (also projected at 125). 

Not wanting to sound like I am putting this story down, but I find it very odd the Phillips kid never thanked his High School teammates, or  High School coaches during his interview.  He mentioned CIA, but never Union County.

I've personally heard college coaches say "We're interested if you win state, but if not then you can walk on"

He will do well.  If he has a career like Leroy, he could be a steal that fell down the  proverbial 'NFL draft board' to Minn.  Pure speculation,

but if a nationally ranked kid of Cody's caliber was gunning for a fourth state title after Jr. year,  it is a high probablility that he might not be there

for Minn to pick-up. Minn's luck.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.