THE DARK HORSES

daddio

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kral finished 3rd in the state so I wouldn't call him a dark horse in fact I would say he's a front runner. Bass made state being undersized last year so I would make him a front runner too. But at 220 I'd say a dark horse to make state would be Tom Nurhing from East Central. He missed the end of last season due to injury and two wrestlers that were behind him on the roster I believe made it to the ticket round one at 189 the other at 215 who lost to the state runner up cooper. Nurhing is also a solid football player as well and has a great wrestling partner in regional champ Brown at 285 who also has a good shot of making state. Wathen from Jennings county will be a dark horse at either 182 or 195 not sure where he's going wrestled 171 last year, the football roster had him at 198 but I'm not sure what his real weight is and what he can cut. Also at 220 Wright from EMD I was really impressed with this kid last year, In fact I would say that semi state will be tough at 220.

Quincy Giles, will be one to watch hasnt wrestled varsity but I bet money he makes it to Conseco, along with Gino Gillum I think BigHawiian is down playing the talent of the Irish a lil they could be right there with Perry if Giles, Gillum wrestle and Wes can beat Winfield that could be a very tight Dual I would say the Irish should be #2 as of right now. just my opinion.

I assume Gillum will go 160 since his football weight is 167... according to ESPN LOL. I agree that he has a great shot at making state I remember seeing him wrestle his freshman year at I believe 140 looked pretty solid. Did he not wrestle last year? I don't remember seeing him at the Connersville classic last year. Hopefully he does wrestle this year and isn't too rusty, coming from Cathedral I doubt he will be. I don't think I've ever seen Giles wrestle but he's a beast on the gridiron I'd say he'd probably go 195 if he wrestles like he plays football he'll have a great shot at state too.

I want to throw in Locke from Shelbyville if he is at 106. This is a talented kid. I believe he was undersized last year and made it to semistate out of a tough 103 regional. Probably won't beat Contey from PM but could make a run with a good draw. Condo from Franklin County will be a senior and may finally be up to weight at 106 and could make a run. I'd say McCoy and Feller from Franklin County could make a run at 145-152 assuming that's where they go. it may depend on New castle's line-up with the Deckers and Mullin and where they end up. I'm surprise no one has mentioned Ulrey or Wagner from New Pal not sure what weight they're all going but they'll make a good run this year... if not they'll make it next year. Both are 2 time SSQ it might be their time this year.

I'm surprise no one has mentioned Ulrey or Wagner from New Pal

I think their names keep them out of the "surprising" or "new" category.  People noticed them from the first time they stepped on the mat because of the school/name associations.

Giles wrestled as a bantam and novice him and my son wrestled quite a bit when they was lil ones Great kid and Family I wish them the best he will do great at 95 I dont see him cutting since he will be playing football in college 160 Gillum,170 willis,,,,195 Giles,hwt Bernard amongst the other greats they will be tough to beat.. 

I think their names keep them out of the "surprising" or "new" category.  People noticed them from the first time they stepped on the mat because of the school/name associations.

Yeah but I never really see their names mentioned on here at all when people talk about potential state qualifiers or placers.

If Ayersman couldnt stop Campbell's offense he wont stop Phillips. We all saw Campbell gas out in the finals, Phillips in better condition. If Campbell is in better condition to wrestle Six minutes or longer then that would be a match to watch!!! Personal opinion.

If Ayersman couldnt stop Campbell's offense he wont stop Phillips. We all saw Campbell gas out in the finals, Phillips in better condition. If Campbell is in better condition to wrestle Six minutes or longer then that would be a match to watch!!! Personal opinion.

In my opinion, if Cody couldn't beat Brooks, I can't see him beating Ayersman. Plus you can't forget a bunch of other great people in the mix. I mean, how often did you hear people saying Garrett Goldman would win state? I can't recall a single person saying he'd win state in the predictions thread.

Seems like the darkhorses always come at the bigger weights!  But that is where the biggest questions have to be answered!!!

That's because a big athletic kid can come in and make a splash because the upper weights skill level doesn't compare with that of the light and mid weights.  Bring on the boos but it's true.

I honestly dont give two craps about Goldman. He has nothing to do with the conversation! Besides no one ever said he wasn't good. The last two seasons Brooks and Phillips split, again someone who has nothing to do with the conversation. We are talking about a group of 3-4 guys that are at another level compared to the rest of the weight class.  Can't see a no name guy beating all of them..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.