Standing On Your Head

IntegratedCarp

We probably all have heard a wrestler or coach say that if a person stands on their head prior to stepping on a scale, they will weigh lighter.  I have tried this a few times over the years with inconclusive results.  Does anyone know if such a claim is scientifically accurate?

If found this on the web at the Mythbusters site: http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9701967776/m/3691904399

"imagine a box with a ball in it, it has a certain weight. Now you flip the box and weight it really quick, before the ball reaches the bottom of the box again, you find a lower weight. That's the idea behind this myth. However: as the ball lands the box puts a greater force on the scale, so you'd have to wight yourself as the blood is speeding up, not as it's slowing down again, that would only make you appear heavier. This myth is not about changing your mass, it's about changing the force you produce pushing down on the scale."

All scales are technically a force plate that measures the amount of force put down upon it by the object being weighed. The amount of force produced in the downward direction from the object on the scale is a function of that persons mass and gravity. That said, gravity is a constant, and the persons mass is also a constant for a given period of time (the few seconds it would be between stepping off the scale and getting back on), therefore their weight should remain unchanged regardless of position.

Having said that and having weighed in several times, I know that most scales have what we would call a "sweet spot". I can't explain this, but it is likely a function of the location of the scales sensors. In these sweet spots, you could typically get a +/- 0.1 - 0.2 pounds depending on the scale. The most likely reason for a person weighing less while standing on their hands is most likely attributable to their position on the scale and the sweet spots of that scale.

Just my 2 cents.

dont know about the upsidedown thing but it been proven that if you can fart steady and long enuff while on the scales, it can cause you to weigh less on the scales. Its similar to a jet pack lifting you up !

ff

And we finally find out how you got your screen name.  ;D

dont know about the upsidedown thing but it been proven that if you can fart steady and long enuff while on the scales, it can cause you to weigh less on the scales. Its similar to a jet pack lifting you up !

ff

Better hope your shorts don't deflect the gas stream up and cause you to weigh more. That would stink.

I need to wear one, because the older I get I seem to sit on em..... ;D

I got tired of reading about sweatpants, so I thought I would throw out some other useless information. I got on a scale today for the first time in quite a while and decided it wasn't the age, it was the belly that pushed them down......

Idk bout losing weight but I saw Kameron james stand on his to get out of a scurria headlock..That was my fav match at Nc Ss James and Decker will make some noise...James is a top 4 kid I believe...Scurrias. attitude was poor he almost knocked james down with a shoulder. Check after the match and then when he ppl were takin. Pics on the podium he jumped off immediately ...Idk either of the kids but Scurrias was a bad sport that day..I wish him the best this.weekend. though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.