2 state-ranked kids wrestling first or second round at semi-state

maligned

So...what are the huge first round and ticket round matches for next Saturday.  Are there potential matches between ranked wrestlers?

An enormous one I see is #5 Price vs. #6 LeCount at 112 at New Castle.  Price loses to #2 Mason Todd and this is the draw that happens for Price and LeCount.  Horrible.  One more case of a million as to why we need wrestle-backs. 

at New Castle

112 Lecount Price ticket round

119  Farrell McGinley  ticket round

119  Venezia Moss ticket round

125  Catron Keifer ticket round

130 House Johnson ticket round

135 Keifer Smith ticket round

135 Corsaro Roberts ticket round

140 Rattay Rose ticket round

145 Scurria Reidling ticket round

152 Johnson Irick ticket round

152 Fraughiger Bowers ticket round

160 Niebarger/Harz gets Willis  ticket round

160 Judkins Taylor ticket round

215 Mofield Balbach ticket round

285 Uhls Melby ticket round

285 Brown Wallace ticket round

to me these are the standouts

Eville

119 #13 Wedding ME v #15 Kendle PC Ticket

119 #10 Welch CA v. #12 Case THS Ticket

125 #5 Henderson MD v #9 Reiker ColE Ticket

125 #7 Griesemeer PR v. Unranked (35-1) Montgomery Dan Ticket

135 #11 Schroeder MD v #14 Reiker Col E Ticket Ticket

140 #3 Rueger RZ v #8 Judy Dan Ticket

140 #2 Montgomery THS v #19 Mann CA Ticket

145 # 4 Weekly Jeff v. #7 Farmer BS Ticket

152 # 1 Welch v #17 Hays CG 1st Rnd v #20 Adams Mad  Ticket

152 #8 Horrocks BS v. #18 Bowman Frank Ticket

152 #16 Lough THS v. #19 Juliano MO Ticket

160 #3 Sims MD v #16 Hessman Frank 1st Rnd v. #14 Fiddler BS Ticket

160 #13 Holt CN v #10 Mappes CG Ticket

171 #9 Parrish PL v #18 Wathen JC Ticket

189 #7 Sandwith MEM v #17 Curtley Jeff Ticket

and probably should include #4 Goldman and returning state qualifier Hill of Cascade

at New Castle

119   Farrell McGinley  ticket round

285 - Wallace will need to get past Thigpen first.

E-ville Matches:all 2 round

Case#12 vs Welch#10

Wedding#13 vs Kendle#15

Vanhook#14 vs Taylor not ranked but is tough.

Moody#6 vs Wilson#14

Griesemer#7 vs Montgomery not ranked but is tough

Henderson#5 vs Reiker#9

Raley#3 vs Kerr not ranked but is tough I think this is going to be a good match.

Schroeder#11 vs Reiker#14

Montgomery#2 vs Mann#19

Rueger#3 vs Judy#8

Boyd#14 vs Harbin this kid is a dark horse

Weekley#4 vs Farmer#7

Welch#1 vs Hays#17 first round

Welch#1 vs Adams#20 second round

Lough#16 vs Juliano#20

Horrocks#8 vs Bowman#18

Mappes#10 vs Holt#13

Fiddler#14 vs Sims#3

Parrish#9 vs Wathen#18

Underwood#7 vs Spicer this could be a good match.

Warren#14 vs Tucker this could be a good match.

Sandwith#7 vs Curtley#17

HWT

Collett#15 vs Phillips will be a good match.

at New Castle

119   Farrell McGinley  ticket round

Price

Venezia

Keiffer

House

Keiffer

Roberts

Rattay

Scurria

Johnson

Harz - but Willis beats either

Taylor

Mofield

Melby

Thigpen beats Wallace, but Brown beats either

Correct me if I am wrong....  I am new to the sport.

You are telling me that if you win you first match and lose your second, you are out of the tourney???????  

No wrestlebacks at all????  I could see if you loose your first match but if you win one and then lose your done?

Can someone please give me some clarification????

I can see that at other tourneys but that may be the dumbest thing i have ever heard.

Lets say you win one and lose the next.....  You may still be one the best 4 wrestlers in the group.  Crazy and stupid!  I don't like it!

I realize the purests probably do but it just doesn't make sense to me.  Oh well.....

I see both sides of this issue.  Its rough that by losing 1 you're out.  However I dont see how it being in the second round makes it any more a tragedy.  First round is just as tough. We have that every year on Friday night at State.

I will say on the opposing side of the argument you can point out that it is just as unfair that someone who wins their first 2 rounds, thus in the top 4, would then be in jeopardy of losing a spot at ststae to someone who lost earlier and even someone they beat head to head. 

I can see that at other tourneys but that may be the dumbest thing i have ever heard.

Lets say you win one and lose the next.....  You may still be one the best 4 wrestlers in the group.  Crazy and stupid!  I don't like it!

I realize the purests probably do but it just doesn't make sense to me.  Oh well.....

While I am totally in favor of wrestle backs at Semi-State, because too often a better wrestler goes home instead of to the dance. At the same time to me ticket round of SS is one of my favorite rounds of wrestling in the whole tourney.

Yes, but the campbell vs. julien match was left out at 119.  (119 at NC has 3 such matches.)

I didn't put ALL ranked matchups, just the ones that stoodout, like I said at the bottom of it.

ps.. that matchup doesn't stand out as I believe it isn't going to be close.

While I am totally in favor of wrestle backs at Semi-State, because too often a better wrestler goes home instead of to the dance. At the same time to me ticket round of SS is one of my favorite rounds of wrestling in the whole tourney.

I would agree this.  Wrestlebacks would get the best 4 wrestlers through more often than we currently do, but the current way increases the excitement level.  Wrestlebacks would help the guy who comes out cold, but they would penalize the guy who comes in with a great strategy and pulls off the upsets.  If you had wrestlebacks at SS, you would see a lot of better wrestlers lose early, but come back to beat the guy that beat him in the second chance match.  If we ever add wrestlebacks at SS, it should be from the second round on.

Wrestle backs would be nice, but at the same time. This is the time of year where you have to be on your "A" game. If you want to be guaranteed a good or decent draw, you have to take first at regionals. Through the years i've seen guys who get bad draws, great draws. Ive also seen guys that get upset. In those rounds you have to wrestle mistake free or you will have the whole summer to think about it. Training is the only way to get better. That is when you can seperate yourself from the pack. Believe me it is well worth it. Don't be good, be great, work hard. Wrestling is a brutal sport. As they say "survival of the fittest".. Good luck to  all this weekend. If you got a bad draw, meaning you have someone tough. Here is a chance for you to a make a name for yourself. I think it is also called  UPSET..

I would agree this.  Wrestlebacks would get the best 4 wrestlers through more often than we currently do, but the current way increases the excitement level.  Wrestlebacks would help the guy who comes out cold, but they would penalize the guy who comes in with a great strategy and pulls off the upsets.  If you had wrestlebacks at SS, you would see a lot of better wrestlers lose early, but come back to beat the guy that beat him in the second chance match.  If we ever add wrestlebacks at SS, it should be from the second round on.

Couldn't have said it better....  It is what it is and I am sure the wrestling purests like it the way it is.  Does anyone know if other states have a similar format and Indiana?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.