Al Smith recommendations

Haka Rampage

I've never been to day 1 of the Invitational before - would any of you experienced professionals care to share your wisdom on how to get the most out of the day? In other words, where do you most want to be, and when? Which wrestlers and match-ups are TRULY not-to-be-missed? I fully realize that I won't be disappointed no matter where I am or what I'm watching, but I'm just looking for a little insider insight. What are your favorite seating/viewing strategies? Any other miscellaneous tips for getting the most out of the day would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you plan to sit in the little gym, you might want to bring a camp chair and sit along the track.  A lot of the wrestlers take up the space in the stands.  Also, if you sit up top you will have more space and can get to the potty quicker.

It really depends on whether you want to concentrate on watching the 103-145 or the 152-HWTs.  It's really too far a walk to travel back and forth between the gyms.

Well if you have a team in the race, i'd say go to the gym where the best wrestlers on your team are at. Of if you have a relative, go to that gym. Karl is right for once in the fact that it is really not practical in trying to travel from gym to gym.

I personally would go to the old gym if you don't have a team in the fight. They have more mats in that gym, and more weight classes, so there are more matches to see there. But that is just my opinion.

Well if you have a team in the race, i'd say go to the gym where the best wrestlers on your team are at. Of if you have a relative, go to that gym. Karl is right for once in the fact that it is really not practical in trying to travel from gym to gym.

I personally would go to the old gym if you don't have a team in the fight. They have more mats in that gym, and more weight classes, so there are more matches to see there. But that is just my opinion.

Karl is right for once? And I didn't see a smiley face, so you must of not been kidding.... :(

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but the last i had heard, the Between the Buns that is on Lincoln Way in Mishawaka is no longer open during lunch time. If you travel a little bit further on down the road though, you will run into a Between the Buns on the north side of the road in Osceola. Now I am almost certain this is a bar, and you have to be 21 years old to enter, so don't take any youngins to that one.

wrestler60160, you might just be right.

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but the last i had heard, the Between the Buns that is on Lincoln Way in Mishawaka is no longer open during lunch time. If you travel a little bit further on down the road though, you will run into a Between the Buns on the north side of the road in Osceola. Now I am almost certain this is a bar, and you have to be 21 years old to enter, so don't take any youngins to that one.

wrestler60160, you might just be right.

It was open for lunch this past Sunday.

well that was a weekend.... about 6 months or so ago, they began only serving during dinner hours on the weekdays..... now they may have changed since then, they may not.... i'd check with them..... just be prepared for it to be closed. If it isn't thats good, if it is just travel a few extra miles east an stop in there.... same menu and everything.

There are also a couple other good places to eat on Lincoln Way, if you head west, you will go through down town Mishawaka, and on your way out will find a Hacienda. It is good, but unauthentic Mexican with free chips and salsa. If you choose to head east, there is also a Samuel Mancin0's on the north side of the road, just past the between the Buns. Or if you want there is also an applebees down the road as well.

Now, if you happen to be around for breakfast, and want some good food, there are two small cafe's in Osceola. First there is the Bravo Cafe, they have amazing breakfast. It is on Lincoln Way (east of Mishawaka) and is about a mile away from the applebees that is at the Bittersweet intersection. If you don't mind going a little further there is this little restaurant in a shopping plaza called the OC cafe. Now don't take your wrestler there in the morning if he has to weigh in.... they serve HUGE breakfast portions (i also hear that they have good lunch and dinner as well).

The best breakfast in the Mishawaka/South Bend is The American Pancake House! There are 3 in the area, the closest to MHS being at the intersection of Mckinley and Hickory in the Town and Country shopping plaza. As for dinner, a Tilted Kilt just opened off of Main Street on University Blvd. out by Target. If you do go to Between the Buns you HAVE to get the onion rings.

The best breakfast in the Mishawaka/South Bend is The American Pancake House! There are 3 in the area, the closest to MHS being at the intersection of Mckinley and Hickory in the Town and Country shopping plaza. As for dinner, a Tilted Kilt just opened off of Main Street on University Blvd. out by Target. If you do go to Between the Buns you HAVE to get the onion rings.

That is a good place, i agree, I was just listing places on Lincoln Way since they are easy to get to if you do not know the area. But if you are going to trek to McKinley Ave, you may as well go a block east to Tradewinds, where you can get the Panquake (all you can eat pancakes)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once again, not the place to take a wrestler who is trying to lose weight.

I might have to leave a little early to try out the bravo cafe.  I love me some greasy spoons.

you won't be disappointed with the Bravo Cafe! also another great breakfast spot is Macadoo's across the street from Beiger Elementary School on Lincolnway. Small hole in the wall with great breakfast food  ;D

umm, if you are talking about the Macri's that was once by Menards, you might be disappointed, it is no longer there. Is there another one around?

And yes decbell, one can go between the two gyms... i just do not find it worth the time walking nor do i like having to find another good seat after i get one the first time.

Any0ne that says you can't go back and forth between gyms is lying to you........ ;D

If you're following your team, I agree with decbell that you can definitely communicate between gyms and move back and forth for most of your team's matches.  If you're just a fan of good wrestling, I agree that it's not worth moving back and forth.  You'll sacrifice good matches every time you make the trip.

If you're like me and detest  expressway driving in times of leisure, come up State Road 19 (Nappanee St. in Elkhart) off the US 20 bypass or  and take it to old US 33 ( also known asFranklin St. in Elkhart, which you can also get to from State Road 120 {Jackson St}. in Elkhart taken to Main St and then to Franklin.). 

Go west on Old 33, and stop off at the Happy Cooker for good and reasonably priced breakfast fare in the same vein as the Bravo Cafe. Hop back on Old 33 and it will eventually become Lincoln Way W.

You'll be at the  school before you know it

If driving through or staying in Elkhart, try the Cock-a-Doodle Cafe on State Road 19 for breakfast.  Also, you can't go wrong with  Between the Buns, just don't order the side salad.  It's basically a bowl of lettuce with some dressing on top.  The only bad thing I've ever had there.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.