NCAA div. 1 brackets

I like the draws that Angel and Howe got as #1 seeds.  I was a little surprised to see Hump get a #4 seed, but I guess that's what happens when you don't win the Big 10s.  Schlatter defaults in the Big 10s and still gets a 6 seed. 

Some random thoughts looking through the brackets:

- Cashe Quiroga draws the #7 seed from Old Dominion in the first round.  I'd LOVE to see Cashe sneak up on the field and get a win, or on an outside shot, 2 wins and make the quarterfinals

125# - I think Angel is in good shape at least until the semifinals when he may meet up with Anthony Robles.  Not sure how he has fared against Robles in the past, but I imagine that the upper body difference in strength between Robles and everyone else at this class is a large gap.

133# -  Franklin Gomez won this last year vs Humphrey, now he comes in seeded 3rd.  VERY dangerous spot for the #2 seed Daniel Dennis from IOWA.  Dennis will likely see a 2nd round match against state rival Fanthorpe from IOWA ST

141# - This is one of the real surprises to me of the entire field.  We talked about how impressive it was for Sliga to place highly as a high school freshman at 189 pounds.  Last year saw Andrew Howe's amazing freshman season at the college level.  Kyle Dake (CORNELL) comes in seeded #1 in the country at this weight class as a true freshman.  Would be an unbelievable feat if he can pull out the championship.  Humphrey draws a #4 seed, so unfortunately will have to meet Dake before the finals assuming they both win out.  I'm bummed by the draw that Archuleta from Purdue got, he faces #2 seed Jamal Parks from Oklahoma State in the first round.  Archuleta has seemed to improve as the season has went on, and I think he could have surprised some lower seeds.  #2 may be too good though.

149# - Metcalf and Lance Palmer are on a collision course.  Palmer had never beat Metcalf before defeating him last week in the B10 tourney.  Metcalf has been one of the most dominating wrestlers in college for a couple of years -- he needs to close out with a championship in his senior year to cement his legend.  This may be the matchup of the tourney.

157# - Kinser gets a good spot here I think.  He starts out versus the #7 seed, then with a win will likely get to face the #10 seed.  Can he work his headlock magic against some unsuspecting foes??

165# - Howe looks like a prohibitive favorite against this field, but funny things happen in the tournament, and Howe sometimes keeps the scores pretty low in his matches.  I think Howe will bring home the title as a true Sophomore, but there are going to be some nail-biting moments during the finishes of his matches.  Also, Paul Young gets a #12 seed, but will have to make it through second round familiar foe #3 Sponseller of Ohio State - a tough draw.

174# - Luke Manuel from Purdue gets a #9 seed.  Don't know much about his early opponents, but #1 seed Mack Lewnes is a beast that may be too much for Manuel should he reach the 3rd round.

184# - A lot of these names are not very familiar, at least to me.  Indiana wrestler Eric Cameron gets the #12 seed in the first round.  Also interesting that there is a Nick Purdue wrestling for Ohio U

197# - Powless and Logan Brown are here, but not likely to make any noise.  Varner from Iowa State has had a dominant season, and will probably continue right through to the finals.  Haven't seen him wrestle yet, but I'm interested in seeing the Russian recruited to Oklahoma State by coach John Smith.  Gelogaev is a redshirt Sophomore, and is supposedly an exciting wrestler, although he has not much clue how to do mat wrestling.  I'd love to see some big russian throws though

285# - Everhart was seeded highly until the B10 tournament, now he gets dropped all the way to a #6.  He has crazy athleticism for a big man though, and I think he may be one of the dark horses in this tournament that can come from a fairly low seed to challenge for the title.

Some random thoughts looking through the brackets:

125# - I think Angel is in good shape at least until the semifinals when he may meet up with Anthony Robles.  Not sure how he has fared against Robles in the past, but I imagine that the upper body difference in strength between Robles and everyone else at this class is a large gap.

141# - This is one of the real surprises to me of the entire field.  We talked about how impressive it was for Sliga to place highly as a high school freshman at 189 pounds.  Last year saw Andrew Howe's amazing freshman season at the college level.  Kyle Dake (CORNELL) comes in seeded #1 in the country at this weight class as a true freshman.  Would be an unbelievable feat if he can pull out the championship.  Humphrey draws a #4 seed, so unfortunately will have to meet Dake before the finals assuming they both win out.  I'm bummed by the draw that Archuleta from Purdue got, he faces #2 seed Jamal Parks from Oklahoma State in the first round.  Archuleta has seemed to improve as the season has went on, and I think he could have surprised some lower seeds.  #2 may be too good though.

165# - Howe looks like a prohibitive favorite against this field, but funny things happen in the tournament, and Howe sometimes keeps the scores pretty low in his matches.  I think Howe will bring home the title as a true Sophomore, but there are going to be some nail-biting moments during the finishes of his matches.  Also, Paul Young gets a #12 seed, but will have to make it through second round familiar foe #3 Sponseller of Ohio State - a tough draw.

125 - I believe Angel beat Robles last year for 3rd, so I don't think the strength will be a factor.

141 - I actually don't think it matters what seed Hump got.  He's going to be ready to roll and I expect him to stand atop the podium.

165 - I think Howe got a good draw.  The bottom-half of the bracket is much tougher in my opinion.

125 - I believe Angel beat Robles last year for 3rd, so I don't think the strength will be a factor.

141 - I actually don't think it matters what seed Hump got.  He's going to be ready to roll and I expect him to stand atop the podium.

165 - I think Howe got a good draw.  The bottom-half of the bracket is much tougher in my opinion.

Angel lost in the Consols to Person and then beat Sanders (who he beat earlier) to finish 5th.  He did not wrestle Robles last year but did beat him 2 years ago on the way to the title.

Wow, Nickerson loses in the second round.  This sets the stage for the rematch of Angel and McDonough in the finals.  Of course, it would be great to see Cashe knock him off for an all Indiana finals, but McDonough looked solid against Angel in the Big 10s.  Can't wait till Saturday!!! Go Angel!!!