hijacked threads by AJ.....

AJ

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to break it to you guys but many of the top guys in the state play multiple sports.  They some how find time to get on the mats.  Maybe you should look at how you schedule your practices.  Work with the football team and not against them.  After all they are doing phenominal things with the highschool weights programs arround the state.  I see it as a bonus to get a kid in more sports.  You can get mat time on the side and your training year round whats the problem with that?  Y2 you have a RTC at Garrett don't tell me your multisport atheletes do not use it.  IF you give them opportunities they will make the most of it.  Your taking a positive and trying to spin it into a negative.

Step 1.  I never asked a question...only made a comment

Here is your question

So by having more state champs, more state place winners, it increases the chance to be recruited? 

Step 2.  Since I never asked a question, I can't receive an answer......and the comment that was made isn't perfectly reasonable or logical to me.

Since you did ask a question and received an answer complete with perfectly reasonable and logical response, you decide to call it neiter reasonable or logical.  Your simpleton response is "Nah, I don't buy it'".

Karl you and Y2 are the two most close minded people on this board.  You refuse to admit when anyone proves you wrong.  Even the great duck and run has admitted fault on here.  A lot of the stats you two use are skewed to help your arguement when someone else tries to produce stats you shoot them down its your arrogance and unwillingto work with class people that make you less respectable.

Here is your question

Since you did ask a question and received an answer complete with perfectly reasonable and logical response, you decide to call it neiter reasonable or logical.  Your simpleton response is "Nah, I don't buy it'".

You ever heard the word "rhetorical"?  By the way, that question was one, also.

Once again, perfectly reasonable and logical are in the eye of the beholder.

And if I don't want to believe something, even if it is supposedly stated as fact, that's my right, just as it is yours.

Peace out.

Just throwing this out there with all of this talk of exposure.  I was just going through my mailbox here at school, and one of my wrestlers had a letter from a school in Wisconsin.  I have not noticed any problem with getting my guys recruited here at a small school.  We have had state qualifiers and semi-state qualifiers get letters all the time from schools.  We have had two kids that had not made it out of sectionals going into their senior seasons get looked at and talked to by in-state schools.  I personally have not seen any problem with our guys getting recruited at all.  If they are talented coaches pick up on that.  The kids that don't get looks are simply not that good, flat out, they are not good enough to wrestle at the next level and the coaches know it.  

A coach can tell how talented or athletic a kid is by seeing him wrestle.  I dont buy the argument that classing the individual tournament is going to change anything as far as recruitment goes.

I think that the bigger problem as far as D-2, D-3 schools go is that with the cost and the amount of effort that goes into wrestling at the college level it is not something that makes sense for a lot of kids.  The private (d2, d3) schools cost a lot of money.  They do not have atheletic scholarships, so you need to either have your acedemics or fanangle a way to get scholarships/ grants.  In the end it will probably still cost you more money then going to a state school and just paying your way, and imo you don't get as good of a degree (sorry private school guys).  You also have to factor in the commitment that wrestling in college takes, and I think that our lack of D2, D3 guys comes more from the want to do it than hoe much we are getting recruited.  I thnk our guys would rather have fun and enjoy college at a state school, rather than putting in the commitment to wrestle at a smaller school.

The response to this will be why do so many kids choose to (insert sport) at that level?  The reason is those other sports are not as hard, and do not take the comittment that wrestling does.  The other sports also offer more recogneition than what d2, d3 wrestling does.  I also dont think that our guys are doing so horrible at the d2, d3 level.  Look at oiour instate schools they are filled with Indiana kids.

Getting a letter in the mail and a coach approaching you or calling you are two different things.  Due to my great PreSAT score, I got lots of letters in the mail from numerous colleges.  They send those things to EVERYONE!  Ken Chertow is in fact still recruiting me to go to his camps and Ed McMahon is still telling me that I can win Publishers Clearinghouse.

I also dont think that our guys are doing so horrible at the d2, d3 level.  Look at oiour instate schools they are filled with Indiana kids.

We had two national qualifiers for the DIII tournament from Indiana and two in DII, not exactly lighting up the board fellas!

Ya but our kids have the choice to reply to them or not.  I would bet if our guys really showed some interest in the schools that the schools would really be interested in some of our guys.  My guys thus far have made the decision not to wrestle in college.  Some have chose to go to big state schools, the military or to participate in other sports.  If they wanted to get the discussion going with those schools they could have, but again chose not to.  Also if letters from schools are so easy to get then why do only my top kids get them?  Wouldn't they be addressed to me, or to the A.D. and not personally to the kids?

theheckman your wrong there.  He used a personal example that only a fact if Y2 uses it.  Everyone knows that.  I mean Y2 uses facts that show where only the top wrestlers at the college ( All Americans) were used.  I produced a list of multisport atheletes that were state Ranked( kinda like all americans of High school wrestling) and he said it did not count because the list didn't take into account all the unranked kids that play multiple sports.  

Ya but our kids have the choice to reply to them or not.  I would bet if our guys really showed some interest in the schools that the schools would really be interested in some of our guys.  My guys thus far have made the decision not to wrestle in college.  Some have chose to go to big state schools, the military or to participate in other sports.  If they wanted to get the discussion going with those schools they could have, but again chose not to.  Also if letters from schools are so easy to get then why do only my top kids get them?  Wouldn't they be addressed to me, or to the A.D. and not personally to the kids?

The letters that are sent directly to their house are the ones that mean something.  Anyone can address a letter to Joe Schmoe at Podunk High School.  These letters are the same as a fisherman throwing out a net.  They want to throw out a big net, say 100 seniors and hope to maybe get a few bites.  When you are getting emails and phone calls about kids that is recruiting, getting a form letter mailed to the school is fishing.

O.K. well if they are fishing, adn we bite then I feel that the recruiting could and would start.  I'd bet if one of our guys reponded to the letter from small town college in Nebraska,  then we would probably get to emailing and talking to the college coaches.  Our guys talk to the instate guys all the time.  So if thats not recruiting I dont know what else it would be, also if the letters mean nothing and they are just "fishing"  then why would they send them out, just to waist paper?

But do underclassmen get those "big net" letters?  Most students need some time to get financial, academic, athletic stuff straightened out before deciding on a school.  Just gave one of our seniors a letter this morning....3 months before graduation doesn't seem like a lot of time to me. 

If these schools send a letter marked to an individual wrestler doesn't that show interest.  That sounds like recruiting to me.  Might be the first step in recruiting, but recruiting none the less.  Y2 your the type of guy that would have let OJ Simpson off the hook.  Presented with hundreds of facts and you just can not admit that  even one of the arguements you use is wrong.

Ken Chertow is in fact still recruiting me to go to his camps and Ed McMahon is still telling me that I can win Publishers Clearinghouse.

Chertow just doesnt give up......  ;D

McMahon is sending you stuff from beyond the grave......    :o

At the very least why not use these letters to wrestlers that are sent to the schools as a way to network and build relationships with schools. What does it hurt to respond to these "feelers"?  Maybe your wrestler will be the one fish who gets hooked and caught.

You ever heard the word "rhetorical"?  By the way, that question was one, also.

Once again, perfectly reasonable and logical are in the eye of the beholder.

And if I don't want to believe something, even if it is supposedly stated as fact, that's my right, just as it is yours.

Peace out.

It was an attempt at a rhetorical question but the answer was obviously not so clear to many. Therefore it loses its effectiveness as a rhetorical question.  You claim that college coaches already recruit enough at the sectional, regional, and semi-state level but offer to evidence that they do or are happy with the level of recruiting they are able to do.

When evidence is submitted that shows colleges do recruit at events where they can the most kids possible, you say "I don't buy it"  and then claim you won't discuss the topic anymore.  Then you want to debate over semantics instead of class wrestling.  Certainly your right to do so.  Never claimed it wasn't.  Your just not going to convince me that kids are recruited enough just by saying so.

On a serious note I think that if you reply to these letters you can be picked up for the programs.  Take a look at Trine.  They have 5 Peru high school wrestlers on there team.  I am sure most of them prolly are not getting much to go to the school, but the opportunity was there for them just as it is for many other individuals arround the state.  If they fish and you don't bite its your own fault.  

At the very least why not use these letters to wrestlers that are sent to the schools as a way to network and build relationships with schools. What does it hurt to respond to these "feelers"?  Maybe your wrestler will be the one fish who gets hooked and caught.

That is what the colleges are hoping for is that initial contact to get phone numbers and emails so they can make more personal contact. 

The more newspapers and websites that have kids names earlier in their career, the more contact is possible.

Chertow just doesnt give up......  ;D

McMahon is sending you stuff from beyond the grave......    :o

It doesn't hurt, but when a senior is getting these letters three months before graduation it is almost a lost cause.  If their grades aren't in line or they haven't taken the SAT or they have already signed up for the Army or even already put a deposit down at Ball State, they are screwed.

It was an attempt at a rhetorical question but the answer was obviously not so clear to many. Therefore it loses its effectiveness as a rhetorical question.  You claim that college coaches already recruit enough at the sectional, regional, and semi-state level but offer to evidence that they do or are happy with the level of recruiting they are able to do.

When evidence is submitted that shows colleges do recruit at events where they can the most kids possible, you say "I don't buy it"  and then claim you won't discuss the topic anymore.  Then you want to debate over semantics instead of class wrestling.  Certainly your right to do so.  Never claimed it wasn't.  Your just not going to convince me that kids are recruited enough just by saying so.

Sigh....so be it......see ya.