Reasons for a class system for team state

youngone

Ryan Pribble - A state champ from one of the smallest schools in the state supports class wrestling.

See...now that's what I want to see.  But...why does he support class wrestling?  I was there to see him win it...and cheered my head off for him (even though I didn't know him personally) because he was, to me, the "underdog" - the lone survivor of his team.  Does he feel that more of his teammates would have competed, at his calibur, in the state tournament if the system were classed? I'm very curious about this.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry...I should have clarified that I was talking about our current Indiana class system and making changes to it.  I wasn't talking about any other system, and when I said the best, I meant in Indiana.  Also...although not always, I'm sure you will be quick to point out...these Indiana State Champions can go toe to toe with any other State's champions, so I'm fine with them being compared to other State's champions.  In fact...if the IHSAA would drop the "travel rules", we might get more opportunities to see our champions wrestle other state's champions.  Now that would be cool...and I think, a big boost to wrestling in the State of Indiana.

It has been discussed ad nauseam that a class or single class system has very little to no affect on the quality of the top tier wrestlers.  

How do the kids in those other state live with themselves?  Knowing they might not be the best yet still wearing the gold?  What kind of long term psychological damage are those athletic associations doing to these athletes?

Umm...I don't get it....

See...now that's what I want to see.  But...why does he support class wrestling?  I was there to see him win it...and cheered my head off for him (even though I didn't know him personally) because he was, to me, the "underdog" - the lone survivor of his team.  Does he feel that more of his teammates would have competed, at his calibur, in the state tournament if the system were classed? I'm very curious about this.

He wants it because it is what is best for the sport as a whole in this state.  He coaches in Iowa now and sees the benefits of a class system first hand.

Last post and I am done, I have better things to do...... And it will be toward Y2

Y2, i never attacked garrett as a program. I did say that if you publicly post that you have no chance to compete against larger schools, even if not directly at your kids. That they can pick up in this (through coming across such statements on this board). Yeah, personally i think this is a poor attitude to publicly post, because while people may not admit it affects them, or it may not conciously affect them, but subconciously it tells them that they can't beat larger schools and I believe phscologically it gives them a huge wall they have to over come. Maybe you don't, but I do.

Well I am sorry normally I am busy during state finals week, I am sorry I have only truly been able to attend 1 state finals in the last 8 years, and watch 1 state finals on the computer in that time as well. But I do normally look at the brackets at the very least. I couldn't recall Garrett having such success. I'm sorry for thinking you were doing things well there and getting the program on track. My bad.

Now this i have to address these two things....

Do you honestly have a clue what I would do to a kid if he came off the mat after a loss saying "well coach he was from a bigger school, what do you expect me to do?"  Do you honestly think I would say, "yep you're right bub, its alright."  You are right that is probably what I would say.... I just sit there and give up when coaching against a bigger school...that is how I handle things.  Sarcasm aside I would fly off the handle and that kid would get a butt chewing like no other.

Then who gives you a butt chewing when you come on this board and make that excuse. If this excuse in unacceptable for your wrestlers, then it should be unacceptable for you on this board because this is essentially what you are doing. I mean you say garrett and other small schools can't win a state championship unless you are like mater dei and have a ton of money, that sounds like throwing in the towel to me before the season starts. You may not realize it, but you are being hypocritical in this area. If the excuse is unacceptable for your kid, it should be unacceptable for you!

Again, when you attack what I put numerous hours, money and effort into, you are attacking not only me, but everything I have worked for at Garrett.

then apparently you fall into the rather dangerous but popular belief. I guess you define yourself by what you do for a living, rather than who you are as a person as a whole. Therefore, when anyone disagrees with you about wrestling, they will be attacking you, that is a sad way to go through life. Who you are as a person is not what wht you do at your job, but rather your thoughts and values, who you are to your family and kids and so on and how you treat humanity as a whole.

With that being said, i am sorry if you feel i attacked you or your program, because that was never my intention.

He wants it because it is what is best for the sport as a whole in this state.  He coaches in Iowa now and sees the benefits of a class system first hand.

He coaches in Iowa and has first hand experience coaching wrestlers in a class system - this is the kind of feedback we need to hear on here...not just from people who've "seen" a classed tourney, but people who've been in that type of system. I would love to hear what Mr. Pribble sees as both the benefits and the drawbacks after wrestling in one type of system and coaching in another.  Thanks Y2 for this info.

Umm...I don't get it....

Your defense of a single class is that we know who the best is. (at least in Indiana).  My point is that some kids in other states get 1st place but are not THE best.  How damaging is that to their psyche?

Last post and I am done, I have better things to do...... And it will be toward Y2

Y2, i never attacked garrett as a program. I did say that if you publicly post that you have no chance to compete against larger schools, even if not directly at your kids. That they can pick up in this (through coming across such statements on this board). Yeah, personally i think this is a poor attitude to publicly post, because while people may not admit it affects them, or it may not conciously affect them, but subconciously it tells them that they can't beat larger schools and I believe phscologically it gives them a huge wall they have to over come. Maybe you don't, but I do.

Well I am sorry normally I am busy during state finals week, I am sorry I have only truly been able to attend 1 state finals in the last 8 years, and watch 1 state finals on the computer in that time as well. But I do normally look at the brackets at the very least. I couldn't recall Garrett having such success. I'm sorry for thinking you were doing things well there and getting the program on track. My bad.

Then who gives you a butt chewing when you come on this board and make that excuse. If this excuse in unacceptable for your wrestlers, then it should be unacceptable for you on this board because this is essentially what you are doing. I mean you say garrett and other small schools can't win a state championship unless you are like mater dei and have a ton of money, that sounds like throwing in the towel to me before the season starts. You may not realize it, but you are being hypocritical in this area. If the excuse is unacceptable for your kid, it should be unacceptable for you!

then apparently you fall into the rather dangerous but popular belief. I guess you define yourself by what you do for a living, rather than who you are as a person as a whole. Therefore, when anyone disagrees with you about wrestling, they will be attacking you, that is a sad way to go through life. Who you are as a person is not what wht you do at your job, but rather your thoughts and values, who you are to your family and kids and so on and how you treat humanity as a whole.

With that being said, i am sorry if you feel i attacked you or your program, because that was never my intention.

weak sauce

He coaches in Iowa and has first hand experience coaching wrestlers in a class system - this is the kind of feedback we need to hear on here...not just from people who've "seen" a classed tourney, but people who've been in that type of system. I would love to hear what Mr. Pribble sees as both the benefits and the drawbacks after wrestling in one type of system and coaching in another.   Thanks Y2 for this info.

Feedback from coaches all over the country wonder why we don't have class.

I have NEVER stated Garrett can't compete in the current system.  We are competing very well in this system currently, if you couldn't tell.  Over the past seven years we have won 73% of our dual matches, we are 100-39 against schools bigger than us, 60-27 against schools in the top half of enrollment.  In the last two years we are 25-2 against schools in the top half of enrollment.  I want class wrestling for the health of all the teams in the state.  Garrett is a rare small school that is having success in this system, if all small schools were having near the same success then this topic wouldn't be here.  

Are you serious? You can't even remember what your own posts were.

I will recap:

You were making a case for winter sports being huge.  

You then contradict yourself by saying it was niche sport

Galagore stated that football, basketball and BASEBALL dominated ESPN coverage.

You try to argue that baseball doesnt belong with football and basketball.

I point out that BASEBALL had 80 million paying customers and is not an afterthought like winter sports are.

In conclusion: BASEBALL-still huge

Ice dancing and other quasi snow sports-niche sports

So what color is an orange?

first, I know what I type unlike some people.

second, I never contradicted myself.  Snowboarding is a huge sport in the United States and its niche is the YOUTH of this country.  Just because something has a niche doesnt mean it is not huge. 

Concerning baseball, you need to go back and read.  We were dicussing the programming on ESPN.  I said that programming had declined, and that is true.  You then started talking about attendance, which I never even mentioned. So you need to reread the posts and get the story, and posts straight before you try to accuse me of not knowing what I am talking about.

But hey, I am use to people acting this way when you disagree with them about class wrestling. 

You read what you want to read and then you spin it how you want to spin it. 

Sorry...I should have clarified that I was talking about our current Indiana class system and making changes to it.  I wasn't talking about any other system, and when I said the best, I meant in Indiana.  Also...although not always, I'm sure you will be quick to point out...these Indiana State Champions can go toe to toe with any other State's champions, so I'm fine with them being compared to other State's champions.  In fact...if the IHSAA would drop the "travel rules", we might get more opportunities to see our champions wrestle other state's champions.  Now that would be cool...and I think, a big boost to wrestling in the State of Indiana.

You can check my history, I am not one to take specific instances to counter people's arguments.  All I am saying is your reasoning for not classing is that we would have more than one champion at the same weight.  What is the difference in having champions in multiple school divisions and having champions in multiple states?  Still keeps us from knowing who the one true champion is.  

first, I know what I type unlike some people.

second, I never contradicted myself.  Snowboarding is a huge sport in the United States and its niche is the YOUTH of this country.  Just because something has a niche doesnt mean it is not huge. 

Concerning baseball, you need to go back and read.  We were dicussing the programming on ESPN.  I said that programming had declined, and that is true.  You then started talking about attendance, which I never even mentioned. So you need to reread the posts and get the story, and posts straight before you try to accuse me of not knowing what I am talking about.

But hey, I am use to people acting this way when you disagree with them about class wrestling. 

You read what you want to read and then you spin it how you want to spin it. 

I guess it's a huge niche sport then if you say so.

The larger point is that you sidetracked the discussion with an irrelevant comment on declining  coverage of baseball on ESPN that really had no bearing on the debate.  You were merely interjecting  for the sake of argument.  Your intent was not to add anything to the discussion on the popularity of winter sports because you freely admit that baseball is still FAR more popular and that was the point Galagore was making.  Since you agree that baseball is MUCH more popular than winter sports, I can only assume you added your comment on ESPN programming merely to spur a side debate of some kind.  You have succeeded as I was suckered in.  Congrats to you.

I guess it's a huge niche sport then if you say so.

The larger point is that you sidetracked the discussion with an irrelevant comment on declining  coverage of baseball on ESPN that really had no bearing on the debate.  You were merely interjecting  for the sake of argument.  Your intent was not to add anything to the discussion on the popularity of winter sports because you freely admit that baseball is still FAR more popular and that was the point Galagore was making.  Since you agree that baseball is MUCH more popular than winter sports, I can only assume you added your comment on ESPN programming merely to spur a side debate of some kind.  You have succeeded as I was suckered in.  Congrats to you.

hahaha...  the majority of this thread is a sidetrack discussion...

feel free to quote me where I said baseball was far more popular.......

I made a comment about a post, if you did not like it or didnt think it added anything then why not just leave it alone.

I wanted no side debate, if I did I would have started a thread.  Unlike the threads that get hijacked by class wrestling supporters, I had no intent to do such a thing.

Your doing it again.  So are you saying baseball is not far more popular than winter sports or do you agree with me that baseball is far more popular than winter sports?

or would you rather debate whether you actually typed the words that baseball is far more popular?

or would you rather debate that an orange isn't orange?

Your sidebars are classic thread hijackers.  You do it all the time.

I freely admitted to being suckered in.  And it appears as if it's happening again

somebody please tell me that this is not the only thing discussed for the whole off season, if it is I may just check back in next fall.

I propose a 2 week ban on all class wrestling talk to let cooler heads prevail.. anyone who fails to comply should be banned for the month!

I propose a 2 week ban on all class wrestling talk to let cooler heads prevail.. anyone who fails to comply should be banned for the month!

You said you were done and two hours later your back to posting??

Whose got a hot head?

Your doing it again.  So are you saying baseball is not far more popular than winter sports or do you agree with me that baseball is far more popular than winter sports?

or would you rather debate whether you actually typed the words that baseball is far more popular?

or would you rather debate that an orange isn't orange?

Your sidebars are classic thread hijackers.  You do it all the time.

I freely admitted to being suckered in.  And it appears as if it's happening again

you are classic.  I simply respond to your effort of a personal attack and you do it again.

How is me responding to comments made about me an attempt to hijack the thread.  All I said is check what I said.. Do that and you will see half of what you claim is not even true!

you are classic.  I simply respond to your effort of a personal attack and you do it again.

How is me responding to comments made about me an attempt to hijack the thread.  All I said is check what I said.. Do that and you will see half of what you claim is not even true!

zero of my questions answered. Ding. Thank you for playing

zero of my questions answered. Ding. Thank you for playing

those werent questions, they were sarcastic remarks.  Ding. Thanks for trying.

No they were indeed questions.  The first two quite legitimate.  Osama bin AJ.  Do not fly these not so friendly skies.

the follow up turned them into sarcastic remarks and/or redundant questions.  far from legitimate.

baseball is not far more popular than winter sports.  young people are not playing or watching the game like they once did.  they are going to skateboarding and snowboarding. x games type winter sports are growing with the youth while baseball is dieing with the youth of this country. older people  like me (32) still love the game.  Yes, the Sox and Yankees are still big time, but the majority of baseball is in decline.

I have answered....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.