MAT GAMES

devildog47959

when i was in HS most every SAT. we had a tournament so our coaches did not want us to get injured our be too drained on saturday, so our friday practices consisted of running for a good while 30-45 mins then having wrestle off's for weight classes, and then we would play some kind of game, was wondering if anybody else had done this as well & what games were uer favorite?

mine would have to be ''mat ball'' we would tape 2 square boxes on the wall at each end of the mat, split up into 2 teams, and then it was like football, object of the game was to place the medicine ball into the opponets square. all wrestlers had to stay on there knees,no standing, you had to ''wrestle'' the ball away from the other team, i loved this game it was tons of fun and everbody always had a great workout  ;D

Rough-house Basketball....  no fouls, no traveling, no double dribbling, and pretty much no rules. Kind of like Rugby with a basketball and everyone kept their own individual score. The only rule was that there was no standing... you had to keep moving the entire 45 minutes. The bigger guys usually won  ;)

when i was in HS most every SAT. we had a tournament so our coaches did not want us to get injured our be too drained on saturday, so our friday practices consisted of running for a good while 30-45 mins then having wrestle off's for weight classes, and then we would play some kind of game, was wondering if anybody else had done this as well & what games were uer favorite?

mine would have to be ''mat ball'' we would tape 2 square boxes on the wall at each end of the mat, split up into 2 teams, and then it was like football, object of the game was to place the medicine ball into the opponets square. all wrestlers had to stay on there knees,no standing, you had to ''wrestle'' the ball away from the other team, i loved this game it was tons of fun and everbody always had a great workout  ;D

I've played mat ball before and it can be very physical.  Probably not the game I would choose if you want to keep wrestlers fresh and injury free.

We used to play a game called Sharks and Minnows.

yeah...we play this one 1 on 1.    It's called "Mat Ball"...but a better name is "Kick the SH@# Out of Each Other!"    I line the guys guys up by weight and # them off....1,2,1,2.  So there is a team 1 and 2.    then i go down the line and and number each wrestler  off....1,2,3,4,5,etc.....so there are 2 #3's, 2 # 4's ...one on each team.   I place each team on the edge of the mat with a half inflated soccer/volleyball in the middle.  Then call out a #!   Object of game!?!?!? ...retrieve the ball and bring it back to your side for a point.  Even if you grab the other guy (who has the ball in his hands) and drag, carry, etc him to your side.....your point!  If you can get the ball and bring it to your side..point.....like FB.  Great MS game...toughens them up....if they don't hurt each other first!  They love it!

I also play...CTF.....a "capture the flag".   We use pennies...I.E..the colored BBall jerseys.  You can also just use your shirt.  You take it off and tuck in your shorts.....like a flag in flag FB.   All wrestlers are in...if you step off the mat you are out.  If your "flag" gets pulled..you are out!  Wrestlers run around the mat and try to pull another wrestler's flag, while protecting their own.      Teaches the wrestlers to be aware and quick on their feet.  You play till you get down to the final two....  last one with a flag wins!

And yeah..."mat ball" as someone else said.....scary!  We do it twice a year(if that)  ...kids want it more, but not worth the risk of injury!

We played a lot of dodgeball before practice and played "Up the River" at the end of practice.  Up the river consists of starting with the smaller wrestlers and whoever wins gets to move up to the next biggest guy until it got to heavyweight.  We also played wall ball a lot.

We played Mat Ball until someone broke their leg... Now it's banned from our wrestling room.

wow a broken leg.. man that sucks.. we got pretty physical but nobody ever got too crazy, we never had a serious injury.. im sure our coach would have stopped the game if we were getting to the point of casuing each other injuries.

Our version of  "Capture the Flag" divided us up into two teams.  We put a kneepad (flag) in the practice circle  of each corner of the mat.  You had to stay on your knees and get the opponents flag (kneepad) back to your corner.  Defenders couldn't be inside of their own practice circle and sit on the flag  (This helped the little guys).  You couldn't throw the flag, and if you got pinned you were out.  It combines a lot of the games previously talked about, and we played it often.  However, I saw a guy break his hand once.

We also play Sumo and rolling foot tag here at Webo.  Rolling foot tag is definitely a favorite of the kids.

"polish bball" it is full contact basketball divide all wrestlers into 2 teams and play bball no dribbling no out of bounds no fouls no running with the ball when you catch it u have 2 steps then have to pass and the best part you use a football!!!!!

We played a game called "Snakes in the Grass" It is a game where the whole team except one lines up on the edge of the mat, with the lone wrestler in the middle of the amt on his knees. The wrestling team would then run across the mat trying to not get tackled by the wrestler on his knees. If the wrestler on his knees tackled another then the one who was tackled would also go on his knees and help out with the tackling. Then the wrestlers just keep running back and forth n waves till they all are on their knees except one and he is the winner!  :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.