Michael Johnson - Jones of Warren Central 189

gazoni

Congrats on a super senior season finishing with a State Championship.  I can't think of anyone so deserving on winning a State Championship.  You have worked so hard for this and you earned it last night!  Love the Tiger shirt it was awesome, by far the best get up at the tournament.

Congrats To MJJ and his coaches for probably the suprise of the tournament. I think mostof us (including the Delphi staff)  thought after Stevenson was hurt that Atwood was a lock, but MJJ and his coaches obviouly worked hard on a game plan to beat him and it worked. I also want to commend Atwood for his gracious attitude after a tough loss. I loved the Tiger Shirt Also!!!

i saw that MJJ's loss to atwood was by fall? so i mean did he catch him or just go to work? does anybody know about that match. but wow this guy was incredible! so strong, quick, athletic. Great match

Atwood stuck almost everyone this year because he is so unbelievable from on top.  This is why MJJ avoided the situation of the first match and chose neutral.  Great strategy.  Well-executed, well-deserved victory.

Johnson-Jones was strong, quick, in shape, and very technically sound.  The most underated wrestler I have witnessed at state.  i apologize to my buddy for telling him that his run was over against Atwood.  This guy is the whole package.

I just wanted to congradulate Mike on a great job wrestling and becoming a State Champ, the coaches Danny taught him what he needed to, to make this young mans dream come true he has the strength now he has the knowledge. This is the most humble and respectful young man I have seen in quit some time. I have seen him wrestle alot these last two years and I am very impressed. I really hope some colleges give this young man a shot. Thanks Mike for helping make others stronger around you and bringing some excitement to the weight class all year. Again Great job. To everyone who played apart in helping this young man get what he deserves. A 2010 State Title

Tiger, congrats.  You now have to give up the shirt to me.  It was nice to see hard work pay off.  You took loses at Fargo to heart and with the coaching of Danny you made your time and efforts worthwhile.  Young Atwood, what a stud as well.  Its been fun watching you develop over the years.  Two great kids.  Congrats to both.

Coach Tonte and PM staff

Tiger, congrats.  You now have to give up the shirt to me.  It was nice to see hard work pay off.  You took loses at Fargo to heart and with the coaching of Danny you made your time and efforts worthwhile.  Young Atwood, what a stud as well.  Its been fun watching you develop over the years.  Two great kids.  Congrats to both.

Coach Tonte and PM staff

Please retire the shirt I have had nightmares for the last two years ;D Coach I don't think it will look as good on you no offense I think only Mike can pull that one off with his great big smile.

I remember getting our wrestler seeded at Capital City Classic and having a first year MJJ drawn as our first round opponent.  We figured we would be able to advance since he was still young and inexperianced but boy were we wrong.  He went on to have a very impressive CCC.  I could tell then he was going to make noise and he did indeed.

I was really fired up to see MJJ win the title. I thought he wrestled a really smart match. Obviously the kid is a ridiculous athlete but I was impressed that he implemented the strategy and tactics that his coaches came up with before the match.

Great job MJJ and good work Warren Central - 2 Champs!

(PS - Was anyone else amazed that MJJ was able to get away with those trips to return Atwood to the mat two or three times? The guy must be SUPER strong ....)

I was really fired up to see MJJ win the title. I thought he wrestled a really smart match. Obviously the kid is a ridiculous athlete but I was impressed that he implemented the strategy and tactics that his coaches came up with before the match.

Great job MJJ and good work Warren Central - 2 Champs!

(PS - Was anyone else amazed that MJJ was able to get away with those trips to return Atwood to the mat two or three times? The guy must be SUPER strong ....)

First off i would like to say congratst o MJJ.  But im not sure what strategy and tactics you are talking about didn't really see him do anything the whole match except be defensive.  And what gave you the idea that he is super strong i am pretty sure you can tell that by looking at the kid, and yes he is a phenominal athlete!

First off I want to say congrats to all State Champs. I would really like to congratulate all coaches and team supporters (I know how much work you people do behind the scenes). With that being said, let me say WOW!!! MIKE JONES. I have never been more proud to be associated with Warren Central then I was Saturday night. This could not have happened to a better young man. I was not able to coach this year due to a personal conflict, but I feel that I was right there with Mike when he was wrestling. When I first meet Mike, he was very VERY raw. After working with him for 2+ years, and then throw in Coach Williams knowledge and teachings and now stands probably one of the best(if not the best) 189 pounders in Warren's history. With my fiancé next to me cheering and crying in celebration, I sat there as proud as I have ever been in a long time. After the match I told him I was proud of him and enjoy it. He looked at me with the biggest smile and told me thanks for everything coach. I hope that we get more student-athletes (not just wrestlers) in the state of Indiana like Mike. Congrats again to everyone and good luck in the future.

First off i would like to say congratst o MJJ.  But im not sure what strategy and tactics you are talking about didn't really see him do anything the whole match except be defensive. 

2982.jpg

Unless all his points were penalty points he had to do something offensive to score?

2982.jpg

Unless all his points were penalty points he had to do something offensive to score?

to me if you don't shoot or anything than that is not being offensive, and you can score defensive points.

MJJ was not the best wrestler in the tournament and I would have ranked him as third, behind Atwood and Sliga,  at Conseco in regards to being technically sound, however he wrestled the toughest that day by far. He wrestled to win and he believed in himself and thats al that it took to win. MJJ did an awesome job of wrestling his match and wrestling to win. With his performance over the weekend he was almost undoubtedly one of the most entertaining and fun wrestlers to watch.

I have never been happier to see someone win state. MJJ never stops smiling, hes never tense and he loves everyone and esspecially wrestling. It just goes to show what wrestling is really about, perhaps a little less schools but more the individuals like MJJ.

MJJ was not the best wrestler in the tournament and I would have ranked him as third, behind Atwood and Sliga,  at Conseco in regards to being technically sound, however he wrestled the toughest that day by far. He wrestled to win and he believed in himself and thats al that it took to win. MJJ did an awesome job of wrestling his match and wrestling to win. With his performance over the weekend he was almost undoubtedly one of the most entertaining and fun wrestlers to watch.

Johnson - Jones was the best wrestler at the tournament (189).  He threw Sliga last week and stuck him early in the second period at Semi-State.  He beat Atwood in the finals under the lights. hhhmmmm enough said.  Got to love the Tiger.  By the way go to this link to see some good pics.

http://www.indystar.com/johnson

Look under IHSAA state wrestling finals

Obviously gazoni can not read very well because i said that MJJ was not the best wrestler technically. There is nothing about that comment that is meant to offend him or anyone else. I believe that he was not the best wrestler but that he performed the best. And there is no point in throwing out the fact that he threw Sliga on his back and pinned him, because Atwood also pinned MJJ earlier on in the year. And throwing someone on their back does not mean that you have better techniques. The best wrestler does not win the wrestler who wrestles the best wins!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.