Keith Knura Franklin 215

navy80

WOW......I watched him wrestle at Mater Dei and he was huge but never thought we would have gotten 4th in the state.

Buchannon sr. 34-4    won  pin 1:47              some may say this was a fluke

Grubb sr. 45-6              won  pin 3:12              didnt hear or watch this match but some still may have said a fluke

Lentz sr. 45-2              lost    3-4                      Knura got a takedown with secs left only to give lentz a point for lockedhands i believe,

Gren sr. 50-1              lost 2-3 OT                    went into OT with Green, enough said

Knurabeat Mater Dei's 215 i n the Ticket Round at Semi state, I would say he is the Keon Jones of this year.  Kid def. has a bright future

That locking hands call was ridiculous. He got a a chance to go to the finals tooken away from him.

How was this ridiculous? I mean it was clearly locking hands even though its around his legs, locking hands is locking hands.  Keith had a great year, I would have never expected to see him do so good.  Im pretty sure he didnt make it out of sectionals last year at 171 and now hes a 4th place finisher at 215 thats incredible

How was this ridiculous? I mean it was clearly locking hands even though its around his legs, locking hands is locking hands.  Keith had a great year, I would have never expected to see him do so good.  Im pretty sure he didnt make it out of sectionals last year at 171 and now hes a 4th place finisher at 215 thats incredible

It was locking hands for sure.  However, officials are taught certain preventative mechanics to help kids in this situation not to fall into the locking hands call.  From the video, I'm not convinced the official got close enough to him with all the noise to be sure he knew when he had the takedown.  Maybe I'm wrong and he did.  Lots of kids early in their careers don't realize that hands locked around both legs after a takedown is awarded will result in a technical violation.

Thank you! I'm not the only one that thinks so. Mishiwaka kid didnt expect that amazing blast double and neither did the ref. The fans were yelling the coaches were yelling so the ref got nervous and called locking hands. Maybe this ref may of had some hard feelings with Knura from the incident at the Mater Dei classic idk.

Thank you! I'm not the only one that thinks so. Mishiwaka kid didnt expect that amazing blast double and neither did the ref. The fans were yelling the coaches were yelling so the ref got nervous and called locking hands. Maybe this ref may of had some hard feelings with Knura from the incident at the Mater Dei classic idk.

Not the same official as at Mater Dei.  There goes that theory.  Yes, the official that had the match was at MD but he did not have the match where Knura went ballistic.  The locked hands rule states (I'm assuming the rule hasn't changed since the last time I read it) that the offensive wrestler may not lock his hands around the body or BOTH legs when the defensive wrestler has more than two supporting points on the mat.  That's what happened.  If YOU were the coach of a defensive wrestler in that position, wouldn't YOU want it called?

Not the same official as at Mater Dei.  There goes that theory.  Yes, the official that had the match was at MD but he did not have the match where Knura went ballistic.  The locked hands rule states (I'm assuming the rule hasn't changed since the last time I read it) that the offensive wrestler may not lock his hands around the body or BOTH legs when the defensive wrestler has more than two supporting points on the mat.  That's what happened.  If YOU were the coach of a defensive wrestler in that position, wouldn't YOU want it called?

[/quote

Doesnt matter the ref shouldnt of made that call with there being no time and signaling two than out of bounds, he should of let it go to ot.Let them wrestle! Would it of changed the outcome of who won idk.

[/quote

Doesnt matter the ref shouldnt of made that call with there being no time and signaling two than out of bounds, he should of let it go to ot.Let them wrestle! Would it of changed the outcome of who won idk.

by that logic, the refs should pick and choose when they enforce the rules.  Don't call some rules when a match is about to go into overtime.  Never mind that full nelson or stalling or slam.  Let them wrestle it out in overtime.  Oh, wait a minute.  Stalling calls are on another thread.  My bad.

Keith used to go to the same middle school as myself and he was on the wrestling team, he wasn't very good. This year when i looked at the brackets and saw his name i couldn't believe it! I never thought he would have ever qualified for state. Keith really impressed me and I have a tremendous amount of respect for him because of the work he must have put in to get to were he is now. He did a great job and is my pick for next years champ

by that logic, the refs should pick and choose when they enforce the rules.  Don't call some rules when a match is about to go into overtime.  Never mind that full nelson or stalling or slam.  Let them wrestle it out in overtime.  Oh, wait a minute.  Stalling calls are on another thread.  My bad.

If  he signaled two and they were out of bounds and then time was out how could he possibly be locking hands. he cant be called for locking if he doesnt know whether or not he has the take down.

If  he signaled two and they were out of bounds and then time was out how could he possibly be locking hands. he cant be called for locking if he doesnt know whether or not he has the take down.

That's ridiculous.  Sure he can.  Just because he doesn't know he had control doesn't mean he can't commit a penalty. 

realwrastler160:  

Just stop arguing the call... its over he got 4th at state as a sophomore that is a great accomplishment.  He had a good run and hopefully he can do just as good next season.  

As for the Locking hands call....  Here is the deal it was either no take down at all or they had to call the take down and locking hands.  Knura had enough control for it to be ruled a take down, however he also had his hands locked around his opponents legs.  Therefore the take down was signaled first becuase you cannot call locking hands without one person being in the bottom position.  The two things simultaneously happened therefore its the correct call.  

realwrastler160:  

Just stop arguing the call... its over he got 4th at state as a sophomore that is a great accomplishment.  He had a good run and hopefully he can do just as good next season.  

As for the Locking hands call....  Here is the deal it was either no take down at all or they had to call the take down and locking hands.  Knura had enough control for it to be ruled a take down, however he also had his hands locked around his opponents legs.  Therefore the take down was signaled first becuase you cannot call locking hands without one person being in the bottom position.  The two things simultaneously happened therefore its the correct call.  

I agree.....the young man has a lot to be proud of.  4th in the state at 215 for a soph. is fantastic.  Good luck to him next year.

I have read a lot of post that said the wrestlers were out of bounds when Keith got the takedown.  According to the rules, both wrestlers have to have a supporting part out of bounds before calling it out of bounds.  When the take down was secured, the Mish. wrestler hands were out of bounds but his knees where in and Keith was total in bounds.  So actually, neither wrestler was out of bounds.  I was working the score table and I heard the official say two takedown so Keith should have heard him award the takedown.  I also remember the referee point to the lock hands as the clock was running out and he showed the lock hands before the horn went off.  

You can't have locked hands unless you are in the top position.

True.  My post didn't say he didn't have control.    It said he didn't know he had control.  I was replying to the post that said "he cant be called for locking if he doesnt know whether or not he has the take down".  Just because he didn't KNOW he had control doesn't mean he can't be called for locked hands.  If he has control, he's in the top position.

True.  My post didn't say he didn't have control.    It said he didn't know he had control.  I was replying to the post that said "he cant be called for locking if he doesnt know whether or not he has the take down".  Just because he didn't KNOW he had control doesn't mean he can't be called for locked hands.  If he has control, he's in the top position.

Thekman

You are just a bad person... all the way to the core!

Thekman

You are just a bad person... all the way to the core!

realwrastler160:

theckman has just calmly given his opinion. Although you disagree, you surely don't mean what you posted.

Knura had a great run through the tournament, finishing off a great year.  Whether it was a bad call or not doesn't diminish that.

He'll be back next year, and better for it . . .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.