Something's got to change.....

decbell1

I agree too long... just think, there are now 56 more matches in each SS.... that means that even with 4 mats, there are 14 more matches... say with pins,  blood time, injury time as well as other short stopages 6 minues per match, that is over an hour of extra wrestling to take all the kids who went 1-2 at regionals.

Not sure their is an easy way to make it shorter things.  I would say they need to #1 run everything straight through first available, no breaks, and keep all the mats until the finals or even during the finals.  #2 have an opeing round on Friday night.  #3  add an extra week so all the middle rounds are 8 man brackets.  Besides that their is not much you could every do to help the long days for the state series.

do the powers to be realize that by taking 4 wrestlers from each regional, that a semi state qualifier can now have a 2-4 record in the tournament and still make it to semi state? I mean really, 1-2 can place you 4th at your semi state, and 1-2 can place you 4th in your regional. Let's end the madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do the powers to be realize that by taking 4 wrestlers from each regional, that a semi state qualifier can now have a 2-4 record in the tournament and still make it to semi state? I mean really, 1-2 can place you 4th at your semi state, and 1-2 can place you 4th in your regional. Let's end the madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe my math is bad but I thought that with 16 wrestlers you had to win two straight to get a ticket out of semi state so 4th would be 2-2

The only logistical solution that I have come up with is to put 4 sectionals into a regional.

You would have a 8-12 man bracket at sectional.

A 16 man bracket at Regional.

And then an 8 man bracket with full wrestlebacks at Semi-State.

I am sure there are all kinds of holes to this argument, but it was just a thought.

a 16 man regional bracket will take the same amount of time as a 16 man semi-state bracket...wouldnt it?  I mean its the same tournament.  I will give you the fact that there would be a few more pins maybe...but not many.

and...a 8 man semistate with full wrestlebacks would definatly take longer than our current 8 man regional set up. 

So basically your adding more time in the gym overall and not advancing as many kids as far.

I know its a long day but with the other shortcomings the IHSAA feeds us, I would never want to go backwards.  Get as many kids from as many schools as far as possible in the tournament in my book.  Its good for the sport.

What about this??? add more mats!  I dont see why we are stuck on 4 mats in this state.  Anybody ever see the first 2 days of the NCAA's?  8 mats...its a sight that brings tears to my eyes! haha

I say bring 8 mats to conseco and make it 32 state qualifiers on friday night.  ( i know..thats a whole other issue)

Roberts stadium could easily hold 6 mats.  What about the other Semi-states?  Maybe that would be something worth talking to the IHSAA about.  They are all about shortening the long days and they would have to move the event to better venues to hold more mats.  Thats one way to get out of the Merriville location.

6 mats would be perfect.  It would cut the round time by a third.  Instead of 12 hours we would be looking at closer to 8 hours.  This would still give more then enough time in between rounds and allow for more fans to stay for the whole tournement.  See Y2 we don't always disagree.

ive wrestled at new castle their feildhouse im guessing can only hold up to four as its always been set up. but this is an idea for n.c. i don't know if it would work, but have 4 mats in the fieldhouse, if u go through the doors u enter to go into the field house if u go up some stairs u enter another gym that could hold maybe 2 mats.. i'd say for the first 2 rds use both gyms, and for the other two rounds use the fieldhouse... just an idea :)

The best solution that I've found is to leave after the ticket round.  It was after 4:00 when the ticket round ended......they were gonna take a short break and start the semi-finals even though the program said the finas would begin at 4:30.......I don't think they were gonna make it!  I can see staying for the entire thing if this is as far as you're going, but I'm always at state which has the only final round that is important!!!  We used to see some great matches for 3rd and 4th at regionals and semi-state cuz THOSE were the ticket matches.  It's been watered down soooooo much now.  It's starting to remind me of the michigan state tournaments......the "everybody gets a chance" attitude sounds good for the kids but it's not good for the sport.  I have michigan friend that I've bought to the indiana state tournament and they've all changed thier minds on class wrestling and say that Indiana is where it's at, where you're either the best or you're not.   I beg you.....let's not keep leaning the wrong way!!

Your right NECC.  I just got done reading an artical that over weight people are getting sensitive because they were called obese.  What do they want to be called?  How about fat, tubby, or lardo.  Its rediculous people always get offended or think things are not fair.  The liberalization of America has taken away from what this country was created for.  It is also peaking its ugly head into the wrestling conversation.  I have an idea if your not a state level kid work harder!!!  Adams Smiths Invisible hand rule is the only thing we should follow.  Competition will drive the market.  If the market is wrestling the more competition the better.  We shouldn't water down the wrestling, because it may help a few people because ultimatly it will hurt everyone. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.