Jacob Tonte--What happened

Dingo Brigade

From the Indianapolis Star...Wow!

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100211/SPORTS0212/2110371/1169/SPORTS0212/Suspension-ends-perfect-season

Suspension ends perfect season

By Michael Pointer

Perry Meridian wrestling coach Jim Tonte had reason to dream big for his son Jacob this season.

The younger Tonte was in his fourth year with the Falcons and had a 40-0 record after winning the Mooresville Sectional title at 152 pounds on Jan. 30. He was ranked third in the state by IndianaMat.com.

That dream came tumbling down last week, when Jacob was suspended for the rest of the season by Perry Meridian officials for violating the school athletic department's code of conduct -- a decision that left his father claiming foul on his bosses.

"What happened is directly related to his disability," Jim Tonte said. "There is nothing that our athletic department has set up for kids of special needs that play sports or extracurricular activities."

Jim Tonte doesn't dispute his son violated the code. Jacob showed up at a class on Feb. 1 after obviously using smokeless tobacco, and a teacher found it in his possession, he said.

Athletes at Perry Township schools are prohibited from using tobacco and are suspended for the rest of the season if caught doing so. But Jim Tonte said Jacob has Asperger's syndrome, a form of autism in which those suffering from it exhibit poor social skills and inappropriate or eccentric behavior.

Jacob has been going through a difficult period and had not been taking medicine for the illness on a regular basis, Jim said. That led to his behavior that day.

"I feel like my school followed the rules," Jim said. "Unfortunately, there are some rules that aren't set up for kids in this situation."

Perry athletic director Mike Sipe declined to discuss particulars of the case, but said the school allows a family to appeal a decision to the athletic director, principal, and finally, to the superintendent of Perry Township Schools.

The Tonte family appealed the decision to all three. It was denied in each instance, he said.

"We have to consider all the athletes in our school," Sipe said. "The rules are set up to protect those athletes 365 days and 52 weeks a year and 24 hours a day. When one of those rules are violated, we have to react to that and enforce the punishment."

Sipe said he and other school officials consulted with special-education experts before reaching a final decision.

Jim Tonte said he realizes there likely isn't much that can be done to save his son's season. He missed last Saturday's Mooresville Regional, so he is out of the state individual tournament, even if the school reversed the decision. Jacob could, however, return for the team state tournament on Feb. 27.

But his father said he isn't giving up the fight just yet. He said he has seen Perry Township officials grant exceptions in the past, although he declined to reveal specifics.

"The last thing I said in that meeting (with the superintendant's office) was, if nothing else, I'm going to be an advocate for special-needs kids in athletics now," Jim said.

Jim Tonte said the situation hasn't been a distraction from his coaching duties. The third-ranked Falcons are sending six wrestlers to the New Castle Semistate this Saturday and will be wrestling in the team state finals for ninth time since 2000.

"At this time, I'm going to do the best I can for these kids," said Tonte, a member of the Indiana Wrestling Hall of Fame.

Wow.  Asperger's is no joke.  It's very difficult to lock in on why an Asperger's patient does what he does.  I'm incredibly impressed that Jacob Tonte has been as successful as he has.  This is a very sad situation.

Don't know much about Asperger's. Is the story correct about the symptoms - "exibit poor social skills and inappropriate or eccentric behavior." That's pretty vague. How could you ever punish a kid for breaking the rules.? Many teenagers without any condition exhibit this type of behavior. This may be a tougher situation than people think. That said, it is a tragic situation. He was/is certainly a fine wrestler.

I'm quite disappointed in the Perry Township Schools.  They should know better than to this.  Stick to the spirit of the rules, not the letter of the law.

It is illegal to use or possess tobacco on school property, that's a law. If he punched a kid in the face should we write it off and say they should go with the spirit of the rule and not punish him?

Don't know much about Asperger's. Is the story correct about the symptoms - "exibit poor social skills and inappropriate or eccentric behavior." That's pretty vague. How could you ever punish a kid for breaking the rules.? Many teenagers without any condition exhibit this type of behavior. This may be a tougher situation than people think. That said, it is a tragic situation. He was/is certainly a fine wrestler.

I have a student with severe Asbergers now, and while he really struggles he still can understand the rules and is expected to follow them even though it's difficult for him at times. So far he hasn't broken any rules except having a cell phone with him during school hours.

Didn't realize he was 18. That negates my previous statement. (I was only 18 for one month my senior year.)

Not sure what the rules are there, but the rules most places are the campus is Tabacoo Free...Regardless of age.

The Code of Conduct was broken (if the story is as it appears in this posting) and the Administrators have spoken.  Sad but true.

This is a classic example of schools "no exceptions" rules these days. I've seen it used incorrectly a number of times and this appears to be another. Common sense has to come into play you would think but as seen here, it didn't. It's easier for school officials to just say no - this is what the rules say and that's that, instead of standing up for what's right. When I was in school in the 70's, things were so much different - so much simpler. And we all made it through just fine. Alot of times teachers made the rules themselves - based on common sense and what was truly the right thing to do. Our society has gone to far with rules and regulations - it's not always black and white.................

I guess more than anything I feel bad for him and his family with this hitting the paper, it really should have just been kept to those who needed to be concerned with it. He broke the rules, he payed the price, and I'm sure he's learned from his mistake. Let him move on without making it a big news story.

I guess more than anything I feel bad for him and his family with this hitting the paper, it really should have just been kept to those who needed to be concerned with it. He broke the rules, he payed the price, and I'm sure he's learned from his mistake. Let him move on without making it a big news story.

Agreed.

IMO, the real question is whether the kid knows right from wrong.  Some people might not agree, but smokeless tobacco is wrong to use no matter how old you are.  You may have the "right" to use it but that doesn't make it right to use it.  Bad habit to start, hopefully this will make him quit.  If he doesn't know the difference between right and wrong, then maybe there is grounds for an exception or alternate punishment.

You can think every parent who has complained that the school has made exceptions for other kids

therefore their kid is also exempt from punishment.   It is just a fact in our society today.

So many people want to play the systems so the system has become progressively more rigid.

Not the schools fault.  They don't like it anymore than we do.

I'm sure this hit the paper because of the family, not inspite of them. JT has a direct line to the star wrestling reporters. I don't know Jacob or how severe his Asperger's is, but I think losing your wrestling privledges for the remainder of the season over smokeless tobacco is Ridiculous, some detention time, or a days suspension maybe................but the whole damn year, that's harsh regardless of the kid or any circumstances involved.

I'm sure this hit the paper because of the family, not inspite of them. JT has a direct line to the star wrestling reporters. I don't know Jacob or how severe his Asperger's is, but I think losing your wrestling privledges for the remainder of the season over smokeless tobacco is Ridiculous, some detention time, or a days suspension maybe................but the whole damn year, that's harsh regardless of the kid or any circumstances involved.

He didn't lose the whole year, just a small part of it.  He was 40-0 and had just a few matches left.  I'd say he particpated in the majority of the season.  He just misses the part that is considered important.

I feel for the family as well as Jacob. My son was removed from the tournament series the Monday before semi-state over a deer hunting incident that happened in November.  My position on this was that it was as far away from a school incident as you could get. Their position was that he was charged with a misdemeanor, therefore he would miss 20% of the scheduled events. I asked how they dealt with speeding tickets (which are misdemeanors) and they did not have an answer. We appealed to everyone like the Tonte's but nothing changed. Appealing to school officials is a waste of time. Too much pride and the inability to admit when they are wrong or overstepping their boundaries.

He didn't lose the whole year, just a small part of it.  He was 40-0 and had just a few matches left.  I'd say he particpated in the majority of the season.  He just misses the part that is considered important.

I understand this situation, but I gathered from the article that it doesn't matter when it occurs, the participant is done for the rest of the year.......seems a little harsh to me.