Ft. Wayne Semi-State "Darkhorse"...

loshe8

So after placing my picks for the 4 I believe will move on in each weight class, I had a hard time leaving some of the wrestlers off the list.  My mind picked the 4 state-bound wrestlers, but my heart really wanted to pick differently in some cases.  This being said, here is a "dark horse" pick in each of the weight classes.  My heart wanted to have a chance to pick as well!  Here goes:

103: Benjamin Fiechter (Southern Wells)

112: Blake Adams (Bellmont)

119: Phillip Gerber (Bluffton)

125: Jordan Armantrout (Muncie South)

130: Brayden Moreau (Garrett)

135: Cody Zink (Woodlan)

140: TJ Burnfield (South Adams)

145: Kyle King (Bluffton)

152: Levi Jones (Southern Wells)

160: Cain Grogg (Southern Wells)

171: Tyler Unsicker (Heritage)

189: Corey Crabtree (Muncie South)

215: Matt James (Jay County)

285: Daniel Meyer (Bellmont)

P.S. I know some of these are not huge upsets, but it would pleasantly surprise me if these guys would move on to state!

Anyone else care to share?

103: Cody Walburn (Adams Central)

112: Derek Roe (Adams Central)

119: Isaiah Bradley (Muncie South)

125: Bobby Perry (Bluffton)

130: Carlin Hormann (Bellmont)

135: Brooks Faurote (Bellmont)

140: TJ Burnfield (South Adams)

145: Cody Harper (Yorktown)

152: Nick Duke (Marion)

160: Cain Grogg (Southern Wells)

171: Austin Striggle (Whitko)

189: Grant Brown (Yorktown)

215: Andrew Challfant (Whinchester)

285: Daniel Meyer (Bellmont)

If Hormann were to somehow get by Crume,

he has lost to Rothgeb twice in OT.

The last time he lost on a coin flip of a takedown call. He is definitely right there.

Crume and Hormann have wrestled twice in the past with Crume winning both, the last was at the Al Smith with Crume winning 13-6. Also Crume and Rothgeb wrestled at the ISWA SB-JR Folkstyle State tourney with Crume winning a close 13-11 match, I know it's no semistate ticket round win...

Here's a quote from George Harrison's song entitled "Darkhorse"-  You thought you had got me in your grip, looks like you was not so smart, And I became too slippery for you, But let me say that was nothing new.

So since no one has added him to their predictions, I wouldn't count Collin out.

Crume and Hormann have wrestled twice in the past with Crume winning both, the last was at the Al Smith with Crume winning 13-6. Also Crume and Rothgeb wrestled at the ISWA SB-JR Folkstyle State tourney with Crume winning a close 13-11 match, I know it's no semistate ticket round win...

Here's a quote from George Harrison's song entitled "Darkhorse"-  You thought you had got me in your grip, looks like you was not so smart, And I became too slippery for you, But let me say that was nothing new.

So since no one has added him to their predictions, I wouldn't count Collin out.

That is definently one early semi state cluster that will be interesting. I believe any of those 3 could make it out. Crume just got one of those draws that most would love to avoid. If Crume makes it through, it will be very deserving!

Hey Loshe the ACAC called they want there finalist back.  This was pretty much a direct list of the ACAC conference finals with a few Belmont guys thrown in there.  9 of 14 to be exact.  THats cool though, but when all your dark horses come from the same regional it is kinda laughable.

Hey Loshe the ACAC called they want there finalist back.  This was pretty much a direct list of the ACAC conference finals with a few Belmont guys thrown in there.  9 of 14 to be exact.  THats cool though, but when all your dark horses come from the same regional it is kinda laughable.

That is funny...I didn't realize that!  I guess when you have graduated from Adams Central, currently teach at South Adams, and have a brother-in-law who coaches Southern Wells, that's what happens!   

yeah it surprised me that nobody picked duke at 52? both of them handled timmerman so i think it should be close. duke  is tough and gonna be hard to beat

Nick Duke could surprise people, but saying that he handled Timmerman like LaRowe is a little off. Nick Duke beat Timmerman 7-4. Larowe beat Timmerman 8-1 and then pinned him in another match. On any day one good wrestler can beat another, alot of variables, sickness, injuries, mental focus, wrestling style. Chris Hogendobler wrestled Zack  Corpe two weeks in a row, Chris lost the first match 11-2 and lost the second 7-3. And he has lost to Larowe twice, the first time he got pinned (shoulder injury didn't finish the Munster Tournament), and the second recently at Regionals 10-3 (was a little sick, puking the next day). Maybe at 100% Chris Hogendobler could beat LaRowe, but maybe not. At Regionals LaRowe lost to Corpe 15-3, more than Chris ever lost to Corpe, alot of variables go into each match.

ok i see what youre saying about score but i witnessed the match and duke didnt get a TD and some near fall. but no biggie but i believe timmermans points were 1 cut, one unsportmanlike and duke stumbled lost his footing and tripped and timmerman got the TD so score close but def dominated the whole match. so a major could have easily been the final of the match

I watched the Duke vs. Timmerman match and Duke did not dominate him.  There was a scramble situation and Duke ended up on top for a five point move (if I remember correctly).  I am not saying anything bad against Duke but it was a match that could go either way. Best of luck to both of them.

Darkhorse at 119?

Ali Al-Timeemy.  Could be the most physically strong 119 in the Semi-state.

If Ross is looking past him to Miller/Bradley or Lovejoy, Ali can make him pay.  He has been wrestling ranked wrestlers for the past four weeks and has been holding his own aganst a pretty tough schedule.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.