4. Jacob Collier (Southwestern)

1. Zach Adams (Madison)

2. Caleb Ogle (Columbus East)

3. Cody Kelly (Scottsburg)

4. Michael Hughes (Columbus North)

1. Marcus Wadell (Columbus North)

2. Elijah Lauderbaugh (Southwestern)

3. Jake Schmidt (Jennings County)

4. Brandon Baughn (Bedford North Lawrence)

1. Quincy Richey (Brown County)

2. Gabe Holt (Columbus North)

3. Brock Wathen (Jennings County)

4. RJ Rowlett (Southwestern)

1. Justin Baldwin

3. Logan Harrell (Columbus North)

4. Ryan Fish (Madison)

5. Cody Wilcox (Brown County)

* Tanner Howard of Scottsburg was disqualified for flagrant misconduct in the sectional final

1. Easton Asher (Madison)

2. Sebastian Rodgers (Scottsburg)

3. Corey Kopitzke (Jennings County)

4. Seth Willey (Brown County)

1. Jarrett Brownfield (Columbus North)

2. Iyan Bass (Jennings County)

3. Nick Henderson (Scottsburg)

4. JJ Huddleston (Columbus East)

1. Mark Collett (Jennings County)

2. Brandon Rice (Madison)

3. Chance Blackwell (Bedford North Lawrence)

4. Eli Teague (Columbus North)

1. James Caum (Jennings County)

2. Dakota Tatem (Southwestern)

3. Sean McPike (Bedford North Lawrence)

4. Jordan Blakemore (Madison)

He was wrestling a JC kid and it looked like the kid was grinding a cross face, but the kid pulled his arm back and said Tanner bit him.  The refs concurred and DQ'd Tanner. 

I can't see him doing that.  I would like to see the video of that. 

I think Tanner was up 1-0 at the time.

Very unfortunate situations.  The ref crew made their decision on what they thought happen and that is the decision that counts.  I for one would have liked the situation turn out differently (as would others) but  was not close enough to see if their were top and bottom teeth marks from a bit or just top indentions from a crossface to the teeth.  The refs vantage point was apparently enough for them to make a call based on the marks they say.  This has to be a very tough situation for an undefeated senior, but hopefully he can rebound from it.

I want to put this whole situation to rest before it gets out of hand.  Tanner Howard is a good kid I know him and have never seen him do anything that would lead anyone to believe any different. He is the kind of kid you want to see good things happen to and he makes it easy to root for.  The score was tied and JC was on top with about 15-20 seconds left on the clock. JC had a crossbody ride  and was trying for near fall.  He cross faced Howard and looked as though he might get near fall with time running out.  Howard bit him and JC screamed "hes biting me" so the ref stopped the match.  Both refs said that as JC pulled his arm away they could see Tanners mouth around JCs arm.  JC went to the side and had  full top and bottom, fully circle teeth marks with blood drawn in two places.  It wasnt gushing blood, but had broke the skin where the two canine teeth are located. Each tooth indention was purple and deep.  After seeing his mouth around his arm and the fully circled teeth marks and blood the refs had no choice but to make their decision.  I will tell you no one..not even the JC wrestler wanted to win with a DQ.  He wanted to wrestle straigh up, put forth his best effort and accept the outcome.  Neither of these kids have ever done anything but wrestle hard and represent their school with pride.  Scottsburg is a good team with a great coaching staff and kids that, to me, have lways shown what you would want out of your wrestlers.  So please lets not put either wrestler down, lets not guess on what happened, lets not make a situation worse by taking away from either wrestlers achievements.  I wish the best for Howard and do not think anyone should look at one isolated situation and make judgement s on the character of this young man.

I was trying my hardest not to post on this topic but I must now after the last post.  Tanner was on bottom looking for the reversal as a crossface was applied.  Tanner was caught with his mouth open on the crossface and tried to gain the officials attetion because he got popped pretty good and his mouth was busted pretty good.  Tanner was trying to turn his head away but the crossface was being driven hard as to not give up points at the end of a tight match. 

That is the one bad thing about the "teeth" rule.  I can open my mouth and drive my own arm into it without biting down and leave a good set of teeth marks. 

Also to shed light on how this match was going up to that point, several elbows to the rib or head area that were very "aggressive" were "misseed"

Howard is one of the most honest kids I have ever coached and he has the most integrity in my 14 years of coaching and this is why I feel as this was something caused by the action not from our wrestler biting.

Baldwin should have a good tourney because he is a very aggresive wrestler.  I am sure after this I will get tons of hate mail but anyone that knows me knows I call them how I see them.  If our kid did something wrong in the match I would be the first one to admit it.  But in my eyes this was not the case.

Good luck to everyone in the rest of tourney

I have never posted on here but after the last post I think I must Coach Skinner.  To set the record straight there were 2 bleeding sets of teeth prints both on the top and bottom with both sets of teeth prints clearly visibal for quite some time after the match. Also howard was about to go to his back and give up back points. The reffs have made their ruling apeal if you wish but dont try to blame this on Baldwin and attack him and I happend to be standing right next to you when you were informed it was called flagrant after which you stated that the reffs would never f@$#ing Reff in Scottsburg again right infront of your kids as thay booed and cussed the jennings county people and as your wrestler was in the locker room punching stuff and wrecking his hand yet you never corrected your kids or stoped them. I would like to suggest that you keep your statements to your self and direct your coments tword your own wrestlers and keep better controll of your emotions infront of your kids you as a coach should know this. My son wresteled with Baldwin for a few years and he is one of the cleanest young men I have ever met I think he spends more time at Church than the father of his church and you should be ashamed for trying to attack him.  If you are a selfrespecting grown man you will appoligise to him on here in case he reads it but last i knew his coach did not allow his kids on here and you should also explain to your wrestlers that were by you when you lost controll and cussed the reffs that you were wrong and that was not a good example for them to follow. This is the type of behavior that is tearing at our sport and you should want to stop it not display it. In closing and with all sincerity as for howard he is a good kid from what i have experienced who it would seem lost his composure as we all do from time to time and I hope he did not damage his hand to0 severely in the locker room. P.S. If you read this Coach Jones I am sorry for posting I know yo do not approve

"panterdad" I feel that you are the one that is getting on here and bad mouthing Coach Skinner and his team. I do believe that Coach Skinner never "bad mouth" Baldwin. I was not at sectionals so I have no opinion on what really happened during the match. BUT I have wrestled against Scottsburg many times and Coach Skinner is a standup guy. If one of his wresters did something wrong he would be the first to admit it and call them out on it. I am not by any means taking anyones side but it is disrespectful for you to leash out at Coach Skinner like you did. Coach Skinner has done wonders for the Scottsburg program and it is you my friend that is tearing our sport apart. It 's parents that get on here and talk like they know the sport like the back of their hand and bash on others that is tearing this sport apart.  And you have no right to bash on Tanner for being upset after his match. Sure he could have handle himself better but I would put money on it that ANY undefeated Senior would react the same way after his season being ended the way that Tanners ended. I wish all the best to Jennings County and Scottsburg in the upcoming Bloomington South regional. P.S. Coach Skinner if you read this you're one of the better coaches in Southern Indiana.

hey Panther Dad thanks for your kind words.

Well like I stated in my above post that must of been lost somewhere in translation.  I stated that BALDWIN SHOULD GO FAR BECAUSE HE IS A AGGRESSIVE WRESTLER>  I stated that the teeth marks were caused by a aggressive crossface that was being driven hard into the face of Howard.  

Pretty sure I never blamed Baldwin I am pretty much focused on how this rule is and the call.  

You are correct I was a bit hot headed after a senior who has always shown the most sportmanship in his four year career was DQ'ed for a call I didn't agree with.  And I did contact my AD to inform her not to hire those officials for any of our home matches.  My asst coaches and I had a long talk about the booing  so your are sadly mistaken there  but I still appoligize for that.

So not sure where you got I was attacking Baldwin.  I did mention the aggresive moves if that is what your refering to but if nothing is called the wrestler did nothing wrong.  That is why I said aggressive rather than illegal blows.  If I had said Illegal than I would imagine that would refer more to a bash but i didn't say that.

Howard only lost his composure after a call that by the letter of the rule might of been right but by what actually happened wrong.

I am sorry I can not live up to what you think a coach should be.  I am sure you are a better man than myself then.  I appoligize for my language if it offended you it was my inner marine that served over in Iraq coming out of me.  I normally hug officals after calls i don't agree with.

To refresh Baldwin won, he wrestled "aggresive" and should go far in the tourney, I said bad words and I am sorry, I called my AD and informed her not to hire those two officials for our home meets, You say I am a horrible role model so I say you must be a better man than me if you wouldn't have been upset at a call that you didn't agree with that ended a seniors tourney run.  

If you were standing near me when I was informed of the flagarent call then you would know I was standing near the locker room after sending my wrestler out to the awards podium after i informed him to keep his head up.  My team was not around me but thanks for looking out for me.  

Sorry panther dad I do the best i can!

Wrestling141 I am humbled by your comments.  Coach Jones has always been one of the coaches I looked toward to see how a coach should be, whether it is his quit witt at seeding meetings to how he can motivate his boys to go.  I do need to get me a sweet Greenwood wrestling shirt though like his.

Pantherfan, I'm going to go in chronological order of the incorrect and unfair accusations in your post.

1. Howard was in no danger of going to his back.

2.The way I see it, the only thing that could be considered remotely close to bashing Baldwin was the comment on the elbows, which I believe everyone in the gym saw except for the refs and the Jennings County fans.

3.I heard one innapropriate comment come from the Scottsburg area that was neither from Coach Skinner or his kids.

4.As stated by wrestling141 I also believe any undefeated senior that had his high school career end the way it did would most likely do the same thing.

As for keeping comments to yourself, you should probably think before you write. Also, your post speaks volumes to YOUR character so please don't pass hypocritical judgement on others.

Good luck to all wrestlers this weekend in Bloomington!

First off I am Not passing any judgement on Tanner nor was I attempting to BASH him as I would be very upset in his situation if it reads that way I am sorry. As I tried to point out from what I have been exposed to him his actions after the DQ were not like him. As for Coach Skinner  I read his statement as a passive agressive attack on Baldwin. If coach skinner ment no disrespect to Baldwin Than I appoligize to him for my statement about that.  But as we all know what we mean to say is not as important as the way it is revcieved.  To Coach skinner and the rest of his supporters if he was not attacking baldwin I am turly sorry I just knew if Baldwin read it the same way I did he would take it very pearsonal. Thank you for clearifing your intent.

First I would like to agree with coach Skinner comments about Howard vs  Balwin match-After watching the match myself and seeing video. It was a very tight match that could have went either way at the end,but lets point at the mistakes and some of the facts about the match.

-First the match was stopped when Howard looked up and told Ref. Little John that he was bleeding from the crossface, Balwin sprinted off the mat out of the circle to his coaches on the sides holding up his arm to his coaches saying he bit me.(Fact-a Wrestler is not suppose to leave the wrestling circle at anytime during the match.) ,but No action was taking against Balwin by the Ref. on Balwin leaving the mat area.

Balwins coaches directed him to go back on the mat to show Ref, Little John his arm, Little John looked at Balwins arm instead of making a judgement call he looked a little confused like he never saw the bite. Little John then walked over to Louis Rosbottom (time keeper Ref.)and started talking to him about the infraction.-Fact. Little John should have not done this, Rosbottom is there not to make any calls or judgement calls on any wrestlers, The second Ref. is only there to act as a time keeper its not his place to influnence the main Ref. on the mat  what the call should be and since he was behind the action he couldn't make that call not seeing the infraction himself.

What I consider the 3rd. mistake I don't want to take away from Ref. Little John or any ref. there is times they all are going to make mistakes that we don't totally agree with, but you could tell Little John was not at 100% referring ability that day and you could tell he was limping alot around the mat and not moving to much staying to one side of the mat due to a knee injury he suffered earlier in the year. I think this is why I agree with Coach Skinner on the elbows that was thrown to Howard's face and to the ribs. I saw 5-elbows to the head (temple area and mouth area throw by Balwin when Howard went to riding his ankle, and several other elbows from Balwin to the body of Howard-Little John not being his normal self and not being mobile didn't move much during the match staying to the left side of the wrestlers. Little John didn't see the infaction that Balwin was doing front his right elbow into Howard about 8-times i counted in all. I even had a person sitting beside me and who said they don't know anything about wrestling,but is that Wrestler from JC suppose to be throwing elbows like that to the other kid's face?

After the DQ i saw T. Howards mouth coming off the mat. His mouth was full of blood and lips top and bottom bleeding. I love aggressive wrestling like anyone else Balwin had a nice cross face on T.Howard, but I have to agree with Coach Skinner if your putting on a hard crossface across someones face which should  be with a open hand, and if it's across someones teeth your going to have teeth marks Ref.'s need to expect something like and watch for that to happen. The blood on Baldwin 's arm came from Howard's busted mouth from the hard crossface.

The honest thing is for JC coaches to go back and look at the film from all angles and see Baldwin's infractions (heck I don't see how they could have missed it either everyone saw it except for a referee who was in a bad location)and see their was mistakes made by their wrestler too and have Howard reinstated by the ISHAA to finish out his senior year.

I totally agree with Skinner, You see Howard on the floor encourging kids, showing them moves, shaking hands, cutting up with all teams. bowing his head to pray before every match.  You would think this kid is running for President or something..ha!  He is well known in the wrestling community and well liked by many coaches, kids,etc. I've never seen him wrestle anyone dirty his past history tells that. I don't believe he would cheat to win because the kid has lots of talent and is a leader in my book.

It's hard to believe a poor judgement call by the  Ref. would end T.Howards career with one call that the ref. did not see actually happen...I thought the sport was all about the kids?

Goodluck to all the wrestlers at regionals!

I agree about looking at the tape.  The JC camera was setup on the same side as the infraction occurred and I don't believe the ref would have been in the way of the view. 

I was on that side and I could tell the cross face was rough, but I can't say for sure whether Howard bit the JC kid or not and I sure didn't see the injury.  The way he was running the cross face I could certainly see how his arm may have been cut by something.

I believe all of this is getting out of hand. I dont personally know the scottsburg wrestler but IF in fact he did bite, its clear the right call was made. I dont believe that any wrestler gets a crossface and just thinks to himself that he is going to bite the other persons hand, but, there were definitely bite marks and bleeding.  As far as I am concerned it should have just been cleaned up and the match finished.  And for those saying Baldwin threw aggressive elbows..a normal sit out or someone on bottom attempting to stand up or sit out can look like thrown elbows from a spectators view and from knowing him personally and wrestling with him I find it hard to believe he would throw elbows on purpose.  Having wrestled in the JC program, I have experienced Coach punishing wrestlers with hundreds of push ups and sit ups for actions far less serious than this so if something was unsportsmanlike, he would have been the first to be punished. So, in my opinion (which means nothing) I truly do believe that actions should be taken to somehow get him back in the tournament because everyone wants the best wrestlers in the tournament and he has proved this season that he is legit and deserves a spot in the tournament. 

Also, I agree from my experiences Coach Skinner is a good coach and ANY coach would stand up for his wrestler, especially under the circumstances.  To the Baldwin running out of the circle,  I didnt see this happen but its the same as a wrestler getting a bloody nose and running out of the circle to avoid getting blood on the mat and to get it cleaned up.  The match was stopped for the purpose of blood and the biting so I dont believe that rule is in effect under the circumstances.

To everyone, Good luck in the tournament.  Im sure we will all be there watching.

I won't comment on the other hearsay, but you have a "fact" wrong.

Balwins coaches directed him to go back on the mat to show Ref, Little John his arm, Little John looked at Balwins arm instead of making a judgement call he looked a little confused like he never saw the bite. Little John then walked over to Louis Rosbottom (time keeper Ref.)and started talking to him about the infraction.-Fact. Little John should have not done this, Rosbottom is there not to make any calls or judgement calls on any wrestlers, The second Ref. is only there to act as a time keeper its not his place to influnence the main Ref. on the mat  what the call should be and since he was behind the action he couldn't make that call not seeing the infraction himself.

From the rule book:

The use of an assistant referee is designed to help minimize human error in matters of rule application and judgment.

So he doesn't "keep time" as you suggest.  Mr. Littlejohn did the correct thing in conferring with Mr. Rosbottom, especially in a situation such as this.

Yeah Ive always been a baseball player. This will be my third year starting shortstop here if all goes well.  Lookin forward to it but still always lookin back to wrestling and wishing I could do both.  I still have a strong urge to get out on the mats.

Hey now, I'm about 175-180 but still solid.  I couldnt gain weight fast enough its taken me a couple years now to get to where im at with lifting and eating right.  Its not easy!  Its easier to lose weight than gain it and stay fit.

I won't comment on the other hearsay, but you have a "fact" wrong.

From the rule book:

The use of an assistant referee is designed to help minimize human error in matters of rule application and judgment.

So he doesn't "keep time" as you suggest.  Mr. Littlejohn did the correct thing in conferring with Mr. Rosbottom, especially in a situation such as this.

You beat me to the punch Joe...apparently some folks have no idea what the assistant ref is out there for.  A timekeeper???  ??? :o

Noone can say for sure that this was intentional. This young man's high school career is ended based on an allegation and rule interpretation. Something seems wrong here. What happened to doing what is best for the wreslters. There should always be an asterisk next to sectional champion. We will never know the true champ.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.