Swine Flu ?

Hey Jason, I want to say this to everyone.  Its important that you do these things which at Perry we are very diligent about.

1.  Please keep your mats clean.  We mop ours every day and also spray down the walls, shop vac dust...

2. Our kids have three wall containers where they can put on some type of skin guard before every practice

3.  Wash your hands before practice

4. Shower after and also wash your clothes.  Don't let them linger around.  Also, clean headgear and shoes.

5.  Spray your room with lysol or some other type of similar spray.  We have a disinfectent we spray during the day in the room.

Hope this helps some programs out there.  Stay clean.  It can help.

Thanks for the info, They have us on our toes up at work with all the college kids traveling around then coming in and working out we are taking extra precautions with sanitizing everything that is touched by the public on a hourly basis. What do you coaches think about your wrestlers shaking hands before and after matches with this going on. I know personally I tell everyone to pound fists and carry hand sanitizer with you and use it! Thanks again

last weekend it was pound fists for me.  Too much snot and blood and I got a baby at home.  Trying to think ahead.  Kids should keep a hand sanitizer in their bag and use on a regular basis.  Nothing wrong with being cautious.  My wife brings wet wipes but of course the baby uses most of them on his behind.

As a hog farmer, please know that you can NOT catch the "swine" flu from eating pork!  It can only be passed by human to human contact or the passing of human bodily fluids (i.e. sweat, mucus, etc.).  In addition if a person has the swine flu they are generally only contagious prior to actually breaking out with the symptoms.

Coach Vic

One of the best recommendations is to NOT shake hands. Also wash hands often, and use hand sanitizer as well.  This is an infant virus, which means no one has had this strain yet, therefore there is very little immune system defense as well as no innoculation to protect us yet.

Isaac Hook, ISWA Sports Medicine Director, called and talked to the Marion County Health Department today and their recommendations regarding swine flu are:

1. If a wrestler is felling sick at all, then they should stay home. That also goes for spectators.

2. Use lots of hand sanitizer   We will be asking everyone at weigh-ins if they are feeling fine/have they been feeling ill? It is Isaac's recommendation that anyone who answers that they have been feeling "under the weather" not be allowed to wrestle- no exceptions.

The ISWA has also arranged for the folowing:

8 Sanitzing stations will be provided, throughout the facility, to afford the opportunity for both wresters and spectators to cleanse their hands.

Mats will be mopped and disinficted on Friday night, Saturday between sessions and again on Satrurday night.

Purell hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes will be placed at every mat.

Isaac Hook, ISWA Sports Medicine Director, called and talked to the Marion County Health Department today and their recommendations regarding swine flu are:

1. If a wrestler is felling sick at all, then they should stay home. That also goes for spectators.

2. Use lots of hand sanitizer   We will be asking everyone at weigh-ins if they are feeling fine/have they been feeling ill? It is Isaac's recommendation that anyone who answers that they have been feeling "under the weather" not be allowed to wrestle- no exceptions.

8 Sanitzing stations will be provided, throughout the facility, to afford the opportunity for both wresters and spectators to cleanse their hands.

Mats will be mopped and disinficted on Friday night, Saturday between sessions and again on Satrurday night.

I know at Greco state a kid was ill and had a fever but still showed up on Sunday and wrestled.R we really going to check every wrestler?What happens if a kid refuses to wrestle the match because the other kid is sick and has a fever?

Thanks for the update, this could get ugly. Has these National tournaments  every been postponed due to something like this? I know a few years ago MRSA was bad in some states.

Yes,  this is a bad thing that we seem to not be properly prepared to deal and as a result it will end up spreading rapidly and claiming lives who could not take caution ahead of time.  However, we should also realize the common seasonal flu kills 250,000 to 500,000 people every year worldwide (according to CNN reported numbers).  A pandimic just represents the idea that a certain new style of illness is spreading rapidly because we did not have a way to contain in yet.  It doesn't however mean everyone who comes in contact with it will catch it or die from it.  If you remember we have these epidemic/pandemic scares every so many year (SARS, Bird flu, West Nile) , but they then get contained and pass by the next year.  Only a few of these epidmeic/pandemics ended up causing major world issues and that usually was a result of several all working against the fix to the problem.  For instant the last major pandemic are far as lives claimed was the Spanish flu during the end of WWI.  The lack of basic items caused by the war was a major issue with stoping the spread of that illness.  By that perspective its not like some special extra extra precautions never used before should be taken just for this illness issue.  I'm not saying don't worry at all, its just you should alway take precautions against certain harmful illnesses not just when you hear the new stations try to scare you into hiding.  Basically do what you would usually do or should usually do to protect youself against any harmful airborn illness, especially if you or a love one has a weak immune system (i.e. young, elderly, or battling cronic illness).   

One of the best recommendations is to NOT shake hands. Also wash hands often, and use hand sanitizer as well.  This is an infant virus, which means no one has had this strain yet, therefore there is very little immune system defense as well as no innoculation to protect us yet.

Unless both of you have an open wound,  NOT shaking hands is just ridiculous. (Talking about getting the SF here mind you)

36000 people die from the flu yearly in America. 1 person ,who was flown in from Mexico, has died in the US thus far. Everyone needs to relax...the media is pushing this harder then Y2 pushes class wrestling(just kidding). practice good hygeine and you will be fine.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.