Hodge Trophy winner?

naco228

I'm guessing you are correct....but....it would be cool if Caldwell won the award.

He was undefeated as well.

Herbert didn't have an offensive point scored on him all season though.

I think herbert is the obvious choice.  Caldwell was undefeated, but you can't give him the year long award because he had one excellent match.

I'm willing to go out on a limb and say he had several excellent matches.

Heck throw Burroughs (undefeated) in as well. The only reason I didn't mention him earlier is because he didn't dominate Poeta. But he sure tooled GG in  the semis.

That being said. Herbert is the logical choice.

Hodge goes to Herbert in my opinion.  But if there's a tournament outstanding wrestler, I'd give it to Caldwell.  It's not like Caldwell just squeaked by his opponents on his way to Metcalf.  He dominated his opponents... Fall, 10-2, 10-1, and 13-2, then smashed Metcalf in the finals.  Quite impressive.

Probably go to Herbert, but Burroughs dominated all season long as well. 

Caldwell manhandled the pretournament favorite for the Hodge, so his name shouls atleast be in the mix.

No way should Caldwell win the Hodge. Sure, he beat Metcalf, but IMO he took a bogus injury time out just to catch his breath and showed no class with the showboat antics at the end of the match.

[/quot

Could you cry a little more perhaps?

Sure, he beat Metcalf, but IMO he took a bogus injury time out just to catch his breath

What happened to the benefit of the doubt?  You obviously didn't feel what he was feeling, nor did I.  The referee was right on top of things and had he felt if was to catch his  breath, he could have hit him with an unsportsmanlike.

I truly believed caldwell was having back spasm until the cartwill into a backflip thought it was poor sportsmanship and I also thought there was 3 seconds left when he did it and metcalf wrestles a full 7 min no matter what

I truly believed caldwell was having back spasm until the cartwill into a backflip thought it was poor sportsmanship and I also thought there was 3 seconds left when he did it and metcalf wrestles a full 7 min no matter what

Well you thought wrong.... there was no time left when he flipped.  And it didnt appear as though metcalf was doing much wrestling... more like acting like a take down dummy.  I am not taking anything away from Metcalf, but put yourself in Caldwells shoes.... You just did the IMPOSSIBLE..... who really gave him a shot? I would run away and flip too if i was old and fat

You guys must be taking drugs before you write stuff. Here's what probably went down: Caldwell and coach plan it out all ahead of time. Go at Metcalf early and hard. Hit him before he can react. Use up all the gas in the tank in periods one and two. Then stall, stall, stall in period three. If there is trouble and the tank is completely empty, simply call a blow time out. Call it back pain so the ref can't tell if it's for real. Take the head gear off, towel off, grab some water, then reluctantly carry on. Just remember not to ruin the charade by doing one of those patented back flips at the end, but by all means, if the opportunity arises, do some sort of celebration just before time runs out to dis a fellow competitor! The making of a role model!

Some of you Metcalf apologists are just silly and I hope you arent coaching anybodies kids.  Watch the freakin match, Metcalf had completely stopped wrestling.  When he saw Caldwell starting his well deserved celebration is when he decided he need to chase after his opponent.  Now I am not saying trying to get in Metcalf's head and say what he was thinking, but by the time he got to Caldwell the match was over and there was nothing he could do to affect the outcome.  The refs knew nothing good could come from Metcalf approaching Caldwell, that is why they blew their whistles numerous times and tried to step in front of him.

Apparently it is ok fot Metcalf to call people out and make them look bad, i.e "he was content to lose by 3 points", but if someone is celebrating and it may make himn look bad then that is wrong.

Watching the match again, Caldwell did not stall the entire third period.  He scored in the third.  His strategy in the third was smart.  If he would have kept attacking and ended up blowing the lead people would have criticized him and his coach for their strategy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.