Has an "out-of-nowhere" wrestler ever won State?

SlickRodz

Listening to the "Bio's" on Saturday of the wrestlers in the finals they were all, 3 time sectional, 2 time regional and SS, multiple club State and National awards etc. Has anyone ever heard of a wrestler that came from nowhere to be in the final or win it all. Exclude freshmen, looking for upperclassmen.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe no Mater Dei folk have brought up Sam Wildeman?!

How was this a shock... He wrestled varsity as a Junior and had like 2 losses and got upset at semi state by Brent Smith from Seymour I believe... I was not shocked at all he won his senior yer

I can't believe no Mater Dei folk have brought up Sam Wildeman?!

How was this a shock... He wrestled varsity as a Junior and had like 2 losses and got upset at semi state by Brent Smith from Seymour I believe... I was not shocked at all he won his senior yer

I would think it could be considered a shock because most of the state champs every year have at least been down and usually placed at least once...Most guys (besides 103 and maybe 112) dont go from never wrestling in an atmosphere as big as the state finals to taking home a blue medal...It does happen, but its pretty rare.

Another cool fact about Brock Norton is that he didn't wrestle varsity all of his sophomore year.  I think he earned the varsity spot late in the year.   So basically he was JV 1/2 the year last year and #3 in the state this year.  Very talented kid.  

Dustin Nosko from MD surprised a lot of people the year Wildeman won.  He had been out injured most of the year and lost some matches if I remember correctly in the Regionals, Semi-State because he looked gassed.  Ended up pinning a undefeated kid that was a twin who had moved here from Georgia.

Another cool fact about Brock Norton is that he didn't wrestle varsity all of his sophomore year. I think he earned the varsity spot late in the year. So basically he was JV 1/2 the year last year and #3 in the state this year. Very talented kid.

Check out the weight class he was in as a freshman at sectional

Weight: 119

1st: ELI MICHEL, Columbia City 12 21- 2- State Placer

2nd: JASON KIMMEL, Churubusco 12 9- 2- State Qualifier

3rd: BRYCE SCHENDEL, Garrett 9 28- 6- State Qualifier

4th: JUSTIN BECK, Leo 9 22- 11- State Qualifier

5th: BROCK NORTON, Carroll (FW) 9 21-10- State 3rd Placer

That was a pretty loaded weight class.

Norton was 17-3 last year, he wrestled most of the year after the starter, Conner LeFever, was injured. His three losses were to Taylor March(twice) and to Will Sheets.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.