Has an "out-of-nowhere" wrestler ever won State?

SlickRodz

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob Pavletic from Hobart at 160 his Junior year back in 89 or 90.  I don't thin anyone expected him to win. 

Rob Pavletic was pretty much a shocker to win at 160 his junior year ,and I don't he took hire than 6th his senior at same exact weight class.

actually pavletic took 5th, after a scorching overtime loss to the eventual champ, marc bruner in the quarterfinals.

the final score was 11-9.  he gave the state champ all he could handle.  pavletic had 7 losses his sr. year, and 4 or 5 of them were to ryan jackson of chesterton, the runner up that year. 

he was a real nice kid, i wrestled 130 at the time, and talked to him a couple of times before matches while warming up.  he had a real mean cradle.

that was anthony williams from evansville central

Anthony Williams of Evansville Central was surprising. Was he ranked in his junior year when he won? I know the following year ( his senior year  ) he was pinned in the first tourney of  the year by Lucas Robertson of Evansville Reitz.  ;)

Lucas Was good. Didnt he pin Schmitt from Castle the year before he won state?

Williams Dad was an Olympic Alternate in Greco.  He was from California I think.  He helped me when I coached Bosse and was the most knowledgeable wrestling person I had ever known.  He explained things very in ways that were very easy to understand. 

Anthony was also an amazing athlete, so with that background it was not surprising that he was a state champion.

So I think it is hard to say that a guy who's personal coach and father was a world class wrestler "came out of nowhere."

What is Williams and his Dad doing these days?

Tom Uhrick 36-0 Fort Wayne Elmhurst 167lbs. 1987

I don't think he even made out of Regionals until his senior year. Boy, there is probably just a handful of people on this board who will even remember him.  I'm not sure that I even have the details right, but I was told that he gave Lance Lantz Wawasee the 1986 167lbs champ his only loss at the Wawasee Tournament, and then at Regionals Tom broke his leg in the rematch.  So Tom comes back his senior year wins an undefeated campaign after placing no higher than Sectional champ. I would say that was pretty "out-of-nowhere" for the rest of the state.  At least that's what was passed on to me, wrestling that old you either have to be the Ancient Elder, or be able to decipher wrestling results from scrolls.

Tito Santana,

I like your screen name.

Try "The Super Swedish Angel" for a stroll down memory lane.

The pictures do no do him justice.

He was one menacing SOB.

TheAncientElder (TAE)

The Imperial Potentate and Grand Poobah of Classless wrestling in Indiana.

I wear my Fez with pride.

www.theancientelder.net

I will second Ruggeri.  He not only won state, but he pinned everyone with the same throw (over-over).  Not only that, but he beat Larimore in the finals and I don't think anyone not from Mt. Vernon expected that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.