Crown Point Wrestlers excellent, Coaching of Sporstmanship Inexcusable

sasquatch

I think shaking the opposing coach's hand after the mat is meaningless. There is too much emotions involved in a wrestling match that tends to carry over after a match. Who really wants to shake someones hand after they lose? NOBODY! Now the thing that does bother me is when a kid offers his hand to a coach to shake and the coach offers a fist pound. Now that seems disrespectful as oppose to a kid not shaking the opposing coach's hand.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree Coaches should always shake the hand are a  good word. Though the New Castle kids are the same way. It should be a rule

I believe the decison was made for New Castle's kids to stop shaking hands with opposing coaches after matches after a couple of opposing coaches had some unflattering remarks for Trojan wrestlers.  This move was made to prevent any type of altercation.

COuldn't of said it any better!!!!! That's the reason behind this. Period. No questions asked. Good Night everyone!!!!

Shaking hands is not necessary, and it's not necessary to get on here and start a subject insulting a coaching staff because they don't agree with what you believe to be "disrespectful".  If you met the CP kids, you would have to agree they are some of the most respectful kids in the tournament.    If you went up and introduced yourself to one of these kids, they would shake your hand.  I saw several times kids that lost this weekend and went over and "slapped" the other coaches hands.  Just because they went over to the opposing coaches - are they "respectful"?  I would say no.

Inexcusable?  Wow!  I don't think I would ever want to shake someones hand after possibly wrestling a kid that's been bleeding, wiping his nose, touching someone's zitty back or after a nasty butt drag.  CP coaches and kids are very respectful and in my opinion you are the one being disrespectful for even bringing this up.  One of the CP kids must have kicked one of your kids a's this weekend and you are just being bitter.  Get over it!  Good job Dogs!

I saw a Mishawaka wrestler, told by his coach to go shake the opposing coaches hand and the kid went over, as the coach stuck out his hand to shake it the wrestler just slapped it instead of a shake.  It would have been better to not go over at all, he shook his opponent's hand that is enough.  Respect was shown to his opponent, no need to shake the coaches hand....unless the wants to.  There is no disrespect in not shaking hands...GROW UP!!!!!!!

I was at Conseco for the entire tournament and only witnessed a couple of athlete's showing poor sportsmanship...none of the schools  listed in this thread were the schools/wrestler's who threw an attitude.  How about the offical setting the stage at the beginning of the match as to what is expected by each wrestler at the end of the match?  I typically see more coaches miffed than I do wrestlers, and they are the adults.  Just a thought.

And why we are on it, what is up the throwing the headgear and peeling down the singlet while you are still on the mat.  In my opinion, that is a bigger offense than the hand-shaking. 

I don't have a problem with them not shaking hands but when you see a wrestler come over to shake their hands Vlink turned his back on wrestlers numerous times. The younger dark haired coach always made sure if he saw a wrestler approaching he shook their hands. Its a big deal because every other coach in the state finals shakes the opposing wrestlers hands during the faceoffs. Had Cathedral coach Sean McGinley turned his back on Tsirtis and didnt shake his hand this board would be going nuts.

Well actually yes it does...not sure what line of work you are in, but unless you work for "The Donald" I am sure you shook hands at the interview.  If it was offered and you did not, would you have still have got the job?  In wrestling it boils down to the fact that 99% of the teams do it so if you don't it makes you look cocky, rather thats the intention or not.

Well actually yes it does...not sure what line of work you are in, but unless you work for "The Donald" I am sure you shook hands at the interview.  If it was offered and you did not, would you have still have got the job?  In wrestling it boils down to the fact that 99% of the teams do it so if you don't it makes you look cocky, rather thats the intention or not.

Absolute nonsense

I don't even know where to start

Bottom line is this - Vlink could care less what people think about his beliefs and he's not going to change.  It doesn't make CP wrestlers disrespectful nor does it make him a bad person for not insisting his wrestlers do something that isn't necessary.  I highly doubt that he turned his back on several wrestlers - maybe the one.  It could be that he was overwhelmed with what was going on and was just focusing on HIS wrestlers and there's nothing wrong with that.  It was a great weekend for a great coach.

What a tiring topic.  Shake hands, don't shake hands.  Respectful, disrespectful.  Most kids I see shake hands with the coaches after a match but so what if they don't?  My kid and his team shake hands.  SO what?  If someone told me you have a choice, have your kids shake hands after every match and they'll be the finest gentlemen in the world or, don't shake hands and, magically, the team will be as good as CP, I'll take not shaking hands.  PLEASE STOP THESE THREADS!

Just what he said.

Do you complain when they don't shake hands at the college level?

were not in college and 80% of kids want wrestle in college

Well, then maybe the boys from CP are just getting prepared because about half of this year's team WILL end up wrestling in college.

I just spoke with someone in the State Rep's (who put forth the bill which would dismantle the IHSAA) office, and she said his main reason for doing it was that the IHSAA was planning to implement the requirement for a big "grappler group hug" and a giant "crowd group hug" in addition to requiring EVERYBODY in attendance to shake EVERYONE else's hands at all wrestling events. And he just couldn't stand for that.

The responses to this subject are really curious. First of all, if you think this discussion topic is irrelevant and tiresome, WHY are you posting on it? Why don't you get over it? Most of us who either coach or have made a significant investment in the lives of all the young wrestlers we work with go way beyond their performance on the mat. I in no way implied the CP wrestlers were not getting life lessons along the way. It was simply my strong belief that it should be carried over after the match.

It has become obvious that the virtuous convictions and principles most of us feel seperate wrestling from all other sports is not as prevalent as most would think. And no, it just isn't about shaking someone's hand.

Too many of our kids do not have a home or surroundings where the basic tenets of respect are taught and reinforced. I am not a schoolteacher, but I know most of the head coaches are in the buildings in one capacity or another. I am in the building during the wrestling season and it confirms the "horror stories" of disrespect they seem to experience everyday.

I don't like to see an opportunity lost for a young man to learn about  principles of common courtesy, respect and a reasonable level of sportsmanship that seems to be disappearing in our society.

I'm glad that you clarified that it's "your strong belief", but it's not everyones belief.  I don't think that shaking someone's hand after a wrestling match makes them a better person or makes them seem arrogant.  They are great kids whether they do it or not.  I think most people are taking offense because of the words you used in the title "sportsmanship inexcusable".  That is taking it a little too far.

Sportsmanship is not disappearing in no way from not shaking hands right after your match... are you kidding me? A young man should be taught the principles of common courtesy and respect from his parents.. Although I know the Crown Point coaches stress the fact to be good sportsmans and to be very repectful to others. If I wasn't respectful, Coach Vlink or any of the other coaches would have grabbed me by the ear and gave me a little talking to.

Sportsmanship is defined as: the conduct and attitude considered as befitting participants in sports, especially fair play, courtesy, striving spirit, and grace in losing. How are these kids from Crown Point unsportsmanlike? I saw grace in their losing, their striving spirit, and fair play. This is what it is defined by so obviously they have good sportmanship.

Sasquatch, in the upmost respect you've been proven wrong let it go! Someone needs to teach you a lesson in respect before you question others. I am not usually outspoken like this, but when I see someone disrespect and belittle a program that has helped me grow as a person; I find offense to it. Crown Point is a program that is full of wonderful kids and coaches, who respect each other and others to the highest degree. Enough said!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.