Crown Point Wrestlers excellent, Coaching of Sporstmanship Inexcusable

sasquatch

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also a former CP wrestler and Coach Vlink taught us to be very respectful towards everyone around us. Believe me we would hear it if we weren't. The not shaking hands thing is not a sign of disrepect; like it was said earlier there is hand shaking going on at many different times. I still have yet to shake another coaches hand after the match we don't do it at the collegiate level either. We do it sfter the dual though. These wrestlers are classy individuals who win or lose with great sportsmanship...  

I am sure they are fine young men.  I just wanted to point out that some of the reasons that some people use for not shaking hands are not congruent with what wrestling is all about as a sport.

Also, there is not handshake line at the end of the individual tournaments, so that reason for not shaking hands is also void.

There is a lot of emphasis in youth wrestling on shaking the opposing coaches hand to the point that it is extremely rare for it not to happen.  Why stop at the high school level?  Why start the nonsense to begin with?

Hey Meto what is this life after wrestling that you speak of?

I'm intrigued.

my life after wrestling was my family,  and to teaching  my kids what i faild to learn. and to have the knowledge to no right from wrong

This is a very touchy subject i guess.  As a wrestler in high school and a short college career at MSU, I made it a point to shake my opponents and coaches hand.  I was taught by my dad and my coaches.  In college our coaches never said anything about shaking hands but I felt like I needed to do it.  Also as I watched some of the greatest wrestlers on tv, they have done the same.  I do not know where this process came from honestly but I believe its a great tradition that should be followed and I do believe its a true sign of respect.  Now as for CP shaking hands, that does not bother me.  We dueled them towards the end of the season and they gave our wrestlers and coaches fist pounds.  I felt there was no sign of disrespect at all.  I think they are just trying to show total domination.  Look back at Alex Tsirtsis, he never shook any ones hands.  No disrespect to Alex, but I felt he did it to show total domination.  Granted Alex was a four time undefeated state champ so I guess time will tell if CP earns that respect.  Great job to CP at state and good luck to all at team state!

The handshake is initiated when the two hands touch, immediately. It is commonly done upon meeting, greeting, parting, offering congratulations, expressing gratitude, or completing an agreement. In sports or other competitive activities, it is also done as a sign of good sportsmanship. Its purpose is to convey trust, balance, and equality.

All that said, not needed.

The ultimate respect to Crown Point......my wife attends state only to support our team (Reitz) and the So. Indiana guys.  Since we didn't have many in the finals  :'(  she focused on reading her book....... h0wever, she did look up to say "wow -  Crown Point must be pretty good....I'm hearing their names mentioned alot!!"

I have to agree Coaches should always shake the hand are a  good word. Though the New Castle kids are the same way. It should be a rule

I believe the decison was made for New Castle's kids to stop shaking hands with opposing coaches after matches after a couple of opposing coaches had some unflattering remarks for Trojan wrestlers.  This move was made to prevent any type of altercation.

The sport of wrestling teaches more life lessons than any other sport, in my opinion.

I think the lesson taught here is that not everybody has the same view on procedures.  When faced with a different environment, adapt to it or live with it.  The only time that anybody is reguired to shake hands are the wrestlers at the beginning and end of each match.  Perhaps CP feels differently about shaking hands than most other coaches. 

I do not know of any other contest where opponants shake hands so often.  In a dual meet; introductions, before the match, end of match, with the coach, and after the dual---5 times.  In a tourney; finals intro, before the match, end of match, with the coach---4 times.

We are in a society that seems to encourage disrespect and content for indifference.

"We shake hands too much in wrestling" That is like saying we are polite and respectful too much in our everyday lives.

How extremely hard is it for a wrestler to walk over and shake a coaches hand after their match?  Maybe easier than taping their laces.

I don't even like the "fists" but have learned to deal with it.  Please tell me one positive thing that is the outcome of not shaking the other coaches hand after a match.

What a tiring topic.  Shake hands, don't shake hands.  Respectful, disrespectful.  Most kids I see shake hands with the coaches after a match but so what if they don't?  My kid and his team shake hands.  SO what?  If someone told me you have a choice, have your kids shake hands after every match and they'll be the finest gentlemen in the world or, don't shake hands and, magically, the team will be as good as CP, I'll take not shaking hands.  PLEASE STOP THESE THREADS!

Just a note from my son Joshua Kieffer, he made a comment to me about Anthony Hawkins. He told me that he was one of the best kids he ever met. I guess they talked after the match and Joshua said he was very nice. I myself talked to the parents and fans and they were solid as gold. Great match, Best of Luck to you guys this weekend.

Kevin Kieffer

Enough of the shaking hands. I would rather not shake hands after the match. I dont want a fist bump, slap, high five, shake, nothing. I want to talk to my wrestler and move on. They shook hands before and after the match showing respect for each other. Just one coaches/fathers opinion. Congrats to all the wrestlers and coaches this weekend.

1oldwrestler,

ARE YOU KIDDING?  You state, given the choice, you'd rather your kid be like CP (ie state champion) than the "finest gentleman in the world."  I don't believe they're mutually exclusive, but if they were, I sure hope most people disagree with you.  I can't imagine telling my kid, "Just win a state championship!  That's more important than being a gentleman."  I teach my kid both should be his goal, but if one quality stays with him for life, it better be the 'gentleman attribute.'  That will benefit him a lot more later in life than telling people when he's 40 that he was a state champ back when.

1oldwrestler,

ARE YOU KIDDING?  You state, given the choice, you'd rather your kid be like CP (ie state champion) than the "finest gentleman in the world."  I don't believe they're mutually exclusive, but if they were, I sure hope most people disagree with you.  I can't imagine telling my kid, "Just win a state championship!  That's more important than being a gentleman."  I teach my kid both should be his goal, but if one quality stays with him for life, it better be the 'gentleman attribute.'  That will benefit him a lot more later in life than telling people when he's 40 that he was a state champ back when.

My earlier point exactly.  Wrestling is built up by so many on this board as this life altering journey that is so much more special than all other sports and really makes a boy a man, blah, blah, blah.  Then you have db comments like 1oldwrestler made.  It is fine if you don't want to shake hands.  Just have a good reason.  "I don't like to shake hands" is a better reason than most of the ones I have seen on this thread.

When this came up of not shaking hands when my son was wrestling for CP I didn't agree with it then. But as I watched over the years and seen the other teams doing it I understood why. In almost halve of the matches I watched the sincerity in the handshake isn't there so if that is your example of respect I don't want my kid to have it. To me respect could be a varsity player giving his spot up to a fellow team mate who as worked just as hard as you for 4 years but couldn't make the starting lineup. I seen this senior give another senior his spot so that he could wrestle one varsity match. To me that showing respect for later in life. Thank you Coach Vlink and all his ast. coaches you have made us proud.

Don Szymborski

When this came up of not shaking hands when my son was wrestling for CP I didn't agree with it then. But as I watched over the years and seen the other teams doing it I understood why. In almost halve of the matches I watched the sincerity in the handshake isn't there so if that is your example of respect I don't want my kid to have it. To me respect could be a varsity player giving his spot up to a fellow team mate who as worked just as hard as you for 4 years but couldn't make the starting lineup. I seen this senior give another senior his spot so that he could wrestle one varsity match. To me that showing respect for later in life. Thank you Coach Vlink and all his ast. coaches you have made us proud.

Don Szymborski

The sincerity of the handshake would be your own child's, not his opponent.

1oldwrestler,

My earlier point exactly.  Wrestling is built up by so many on this board as this life altering journey that is so much more special than all other sports and really makes a boy a man, blah, blah, blah.  Then you have db comments like 1oldwrestler made.  It is fine if you don't want to shake hands.  Just have a good reason.  "I don't like to shake hands" is a better reason than most of the ones I have seen on this thread.

Wow, now I'm a "db."  My kid is a gentelman.  He does shake hands.  I guess I was making an extreme point.  Shaking or not shaking hands on a wrestling mat doesn't define you as a gentlemen.  My ultimate point is, this is a ridiculous thread.  If you have a problem with guys not shaking hands, then you must have had a problem with the celebrations after the championships (break dancing, pulling down the straps of your singlet, etc).  Were those the behaviors of "gentlemen?"  My answer would be yes, but you would have to answer no because if that isn't your answer then you're contradicting yourself. 

1oldwrestler,

Wow, now I'm a "db."  My kid is a gentelman.  He does shake hands.  I guess I was making an extreme point.  Shaking or not shaking hands on a wrestling mat doesn't define you as a gentlemen.  My ultimate point is, this is a ridiculous thread.  If you have a problem with guys not shaking hands, then you must have had a problem with the celebrations after the championships (break dancing, pulling down the straps of your singlet, etc).  Were those the behaviors of "gentlemen?"  My answer would be yes, but you would have to answer no because if that isn't your answer then you're contradicting yourself. 

Please read more carefully.  I did not call you a db, I said you made a db comment.  I have never used the word gentleman in any of my posts, so I can enjoy the celebrations without contradicting myself.  Again, I don't care if you shake hands or sniff butts.  You are the one that said you would rather have your kid be a state champ than a gentleman.  It is difficult to discern someone's intent from the written word so I guess one man's extreme point is another man's outrageous comment.

I believe that the decision to not shake hands has nothing to do with sportmanship and more to do with a general contrarian attitude and/or gamesmanship.  Some people just don't want to do things because everyone else says you have to do it.  That is a fine answer as well.  At least it is honest.

The cp wrestlers conducted themselves very well this weekend even in the few matches they lost. This topic should be discarded and possibly replaced with some other wrestlers that did not show good sportsmanship when they lost. I think that they way you act in defeat shows a lot about your character.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.