Could the IHSAA Oranization be on the ropes?

MattM

I know its a basketball related story, but it's implication will effect all sports.  Not seeing this go all the way through but it will at least make some waves.

IHSAA to be eliminated? Bill in place due to Jasmine Watson case

wndu.com

Posted: 7:26 PM Feb 19, 2009

Last Updated: 7:26 PM Feb 19, 2009

Reporter: Angelo Di Carlo

Email Address: angelo.dicarlo@wndu.com

Hold the presses.

There's another new development in the Jasmine Watson-IHSAA case and this one could have a long lasting effect on the future of high school sports in Indiana.

Displeased in the manner in which the IHSAA has handled the case of Jasmine Watson--the girls basketball player who transferred from Elkhart Memorial to South Bend Washington--- an Indiana house panel has passed a plan that would eliminate the IHSAA all together.

The Bill sponsored by South Bend Representative David Niezgodski (D) would put control of high school sports under the Department of Education.

"The IHSAA is the living embodiment of the faceless, nameless bureaucracy that is able to thrive because it is not accountable to anyone," Niezgodski said in a statement released by his office.

"With House Bill 1733, we will provide the accountability that has been lacking.?

Watson's case was the final straw, according to Niezgodski.

When Watson first transferred to Washington, Memorial protested and claimed it was for athletic reasons. The IHSAA agreed and Watson was ruled in eligible. The senior missed the first half of the girls basketball season.

In December, Watson's case went to a St. Joseph County Circuit Court where a judge ruled that the transfer was not for athletic reasons, but for economic hardship, as the Watsons had claimed.

The Court ruled Watson eligible and she immediately began playing for Washington.

Since that time, the IHSAA has not given in and continues to pursue an appeal, one that would not likely come until after the state championship.

That means, if Washington were to win the state title and the IHSAA would win its appeal, the Panthers could be forced to forfeit their state championship because they had an illegible player.

House Bill 1733 was approved this week in the House Education Committee to combat the problem.

Under the bill, the division of interscholastic athletics would be governed by a nine-member board of directors appointed by the state Superintendent of Public Instruction.

?This board would regulate, supervise and administer all interscholastic athletic programs, and establish standards for eligibility, competition and sportsmanship while providing protection against the exploitation of schools or students,? Niezgodski said.

?In short, it would do everything the IHSAA does now, except with a level of oversight and accountability that is missing today.?

If the bill, which now advances to the full House, becomes law, state control of high school athletics would take place on July 1.

Meanwhile, Watson is still playing basketball, and the announcement comes just two days before she and Washington will face her former team Memorial in the regional playoffs.

This won't be Jasmine's first meeting with her old school, but she says that doesn't make it any easier.

"I don't think it matters when we play--if we played them three times during the year," Watson told Newscenter 16 on Wednesday. "It's always going to be different for me because every time I step on that floor, I'm a Panther now instead of a Charger."

In going through all of this---going to court, being forced to sit out of games---Watson has become a stronger person.

"It didn't break me," Watson said. "That was the main thing I was focused on. It didn't break my spirits."

"No one what, no one can take that away from me."

That determination and ability to fight with such grace is something those around her admire.

"Everything she had to go through this year and the end of last year, I don't think a lot of teenagers or young adults would have been able to handle it like she did," teammate Skylar Diggins says.

Washington coach Maurice Scott agrees, "She has a big heart, she cares about people, she cares about her teammates."

"She's very special here."

And that's why Jasmine has quickly become a vocal leader for the Panthers---in more ways than one.

"I've been able to sing for a long time," Watson says laughing.

Jasmine sang the National Anthem before Washington's final regular season game last month. Her singing inspired Diggins and Scott, who both broke down crying because the emotion of the night.

"She's a wonderful singer," Scott says. "We might have to get her to tryout for American Idol next year."

Diggins meanwhile is known for being the best at just about everything. This is one area she quickly concedes to Jasmine.

"She has me on that," Skylar says with a smile. "We do a little pre-game, locker room duets sometimes, but nothing anyone would hear out here."

For Panthers fans, the duet between Skylar and Jasmine they want to see most is the combination that puts up a lot of points on Memorial Saturday at 12:30 ET at Valpo High School in the regional semifinals.

I know its a basketball related story, but it's implication will effect all sports.  Not seeing this go all the way through but it will at least make some waves.

IHSAA to be eliminated? Bill in place due to Jasmine Watson case

wndu.com

Posted: 7:26 PM Feb 19, 2009

Last Updated: 7:26 PM Feb 19, 2009

Reporter: Angelo Di Carlo

Email Address: angelo.dicarlo@wndu.com

Hold the presses.

There's another new development in the Jasmine Watson-IHSAA case and this one could have a long lasting effect on the future of high school sports in Indiana.

Displeased in the manner in which the IHSAA has handled the case of Jasmine Watson--the girls basketball player who transferred from Elkhart Memorial to South Bend Washington--- an Indiana house panel has passed a plan that would eliminate the IHSAA all together.

The Bill sponsored by South Bend Representative David Niezgodski (D) would put control of high school sports under the Department of Education.

"The IHSAA is the living embodiment of the faceless, nameless bureaucracy that is able to thrive because it is not accountable to anyone," Niezgodski said in a statement released by his office.

"With House Bill 1733, we will provide the accountability that has been lacking.?

Watson's case was the final straw, according to Niezgodski.

When Watson first transferred to Washington, Memorial protested and claimed it was for athletic reasons. The IHSAA agreed and Watson was ruled in eligible. The senior missed the first half of the girls basketball season.

In December, Watson's case went to a St. Joseph County Circuit Court where a judge ruled that the transfer was not for athletic reasons, but for economic hardship, as the Watsons had claimed.

The Court ruled Watson eligible and she immediately began playing for Washington.

Since that time, the IHSAA has not given in and continues to pursue an appeal, one that would not likely come until after the state championship.

That means, if Washington were to win the state title and the IHSAA would win its appeal, the Panthers could be forced to forfeit their state championship because they had an illegible player.

House Bill 1733 was approved this week in the House Education Committee to combat the problem.

Under the bill, the division of interscholastic athletics would be governed by a nine-member board of directors appointed by the state Superintendent of Public Instruction.

?This board would regulate, supervise and administer all interscholastic athletic programs, and establish standards for eligibility, competition and sportsmanship while providing protection against the exploitation of schools or students,? Niezgodski said.

?In short, it would do everything the IHSAA does now, except with a level of oversight and accountability that is missing today.?

If the bill, which now advances to the full House, becomes law, state control of high school athletics would take place on July 1.

Meanwhile, Watson is still playing basketball, and the announcement comes just two days before she and Washington will face her former team Memorial in the regional playoffs.

This won't be Jasmine's first meeting with her old school, but she says that doesn't make it any easier.

"I don't think it matters when we play--if we played them three times during the year," Watson told Newscenter 16 on Wednesday. "It's always going to be different for me because every time I step on that floor, I'm a Panther now instead of a Charger."

In going through all of this---going to court, being forced to sit out of games---Watson has become a stronger person.

"It didn't break me," Watson said. "That was the main thing I was focused on. It didn't break my spirits."

"No one what, no one can take that away from me."

That determination and ability to fight with such grace is something those around her admire.

"Everything she had to go through this year and the end of last year, I don't think a lot of teenagers or young adults would have been able to handle it like she did," teammate Skylar Diggins says.

Washington coach Maurice Scott agrees, "She has a big heart, she cares about people, she cares about her teammates."

"She's very special here."

And that's why Jasmine has quickly become a vocal leader for the Panthers---in more ways than one.

"I've been able to sing for a long time," Watson says laughing.

Jasmine sang the National Anthem before Washington's final regular season game last month. Her singing inspired Diggins and Scott, who both broke down crying because the emotion of the night.

"She's a wonderful singer," Scott says. "We might have to get her to tryout for American Idol next year."

Diggins meanwhile is known for being the best at just about everything. This is one area she quickly concedes to Jasmine.

"She has me on that," Skylar says with a smile. "We do a little pre-game, locker room duets sometimes, but nothing anyone would hear out here."

For Panthers fans, the duet between Skylar and Jasmine they want to see most is the combination that puts up a lot of points on Memorial Saturday at 12:30 ET at Valpo High School in the regional semifinals.

this would be bad for high school sports

I believe this is well past due. I think the IHSAA was a good organization in the beginning but lack of accountability does not adhere to the basic principles of  a democratic governing body. Thier ability to oversee and enforce adherence to rules and guidelines is lacking. The fact that they do not answer to the majority when proposals are made is a clear indication that the power has gone to thier heads. In what community, other than Iran, does a 90% majority get over ruled by a commission or board of 10 or 12 people? Who do these 10 or 12 represent. I see and understand the fear of being governed by the board of education, but these are educational institutions with athletics as part of the curriculum not the other way around.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This would be a very bad idea.  The IHSAA is not a perfect organization and one could argue that they do not understand the sport of wrestling and the significance of what wrestlebacks mean during the state tournament.  However, the IHSAA Commissioner and Assistant Commissioners do have a board of directors that provide oversight.  This group of men and women are all principals or athletic directors and they do understand and care about interscholastic athletics. 

The Indiana Football Coaches Association has an excellent working relationship with the IHSAA.  For the most part, when we make a proposal, it passes because we have very nearly 100% of our head football coaches belong to our organization.  The IHSWCA needs to do a better job in getting ALL head coaches involved. 

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This would be a very bad idea.  The IHSAA is not a perfect organization and one could argue that they do not understand the sport of wrestling and the significance of what wrestlebacks mean during the state tournament.   However, the IHSAA Commissioner and Assistant Commissioners do have a board of directors that provide oversight.  This group of men and women are all principals or athletic directors and they do understand and care about interscholastic athletics. 

The Indiana Football Coaches Association has an excellent working relationship with the IHSAA.  For the most part, when we make a proposal, it passes because we have very nearly 100% of our head football coaches belong to our organization.  The IHSWCA needs to do a better job in getting ALL head coaches involved. 

Maybe its us and not the IHSAA? 

I am not sure if it is like this in other state as well but it seems as though the IHSAA does not particularly care for wrestling, and they are only worried about Football and Basketball.  I have spoke with both Blake Ress and Bobby Cox in the past due to a situation I was in,  and they seemed like it was none of their business, and they weren't going to waste their time talking about it and that wrestling was not an important issue to them.

Why does the IHSAA still sanction wrestling if they don't care about it?  Why do they let us have proposals every two years if they don't care about wrestling?  Do you expect the IHSAA to listen to a proposal that only 40% of the coaches approve?  Its ridiculous to think that they would listen to a group like that and I honestly don't blame them.  

Is it mandatory for coaches of other sports to be members of the IHSAA?

Why would only 40% of coaches be a part of the association?

I saw the list of Members and my former high school Whiteland has the most coaches on it with 7... I thought that was weird because it was just an average size school.

Is it mandatory for coaches of other sports to be members of the IHSAA?

Why would only 40% of coaches be a part of the association?

I saw the list of Members and my former high school Whiteland has the most coaches on it with 7... I thought that was weird because it was just an average size school.

The way the IHSAA listens to proposals is from each sport's coaches association.  So yes, the other sports have them and they are the middlemen to getting proposals passed.

There are many reasons why only 40% of the head coaches are members.  I know there are probably 135ish teams represented last year.  Probably 100 of them were registered at the coaches clinic and 25 probably joined to get a kid on the Academic All-State list.  The other 10ish were members because they wanted to be members.

Right now we need a big membership drive so that our voice is heard at the IHSAA.  Its time we stop this "them vs. us" tirade and do something about it and look at ourselves first before we blame the other people. 

There has been a total of one person bring up IHSWCA proposals, one. Yet people get a chance to slam the Coaches Association and they jump all over it. There plenty of other things wrong with IHSAA, other than they won't vote wrestlebacks. How many times has schools that have rep's on the IHSAA board of directors caught a break, or gotten privileges and perks over other schools? Or atleast that is what people want to say.

What would it hurt to have an oversight commitee? I doubt little would change other than a few meetings a year where they (IHSAA) has to report to the appointed commitee. It certainly wouldn't hurt to look into adding this measure.

Or I guess since the IHSAA crushes the Coaches Association, and people on this board hate the Coaches Association, all is fine and the IHSAA is great!!!

The sarcasm and blame, even it it is deserved toward whomever it is being directed, is not useful other than to have it as a basis for action.

I am a non association member and regardless of my rationales for not being one that are or are not legitimate in the eyes of other coaches or even media outlets, lobbying via the mass collective is an option that needs to remain on the table.  

Individual grassroots efforts via emails and phone calls have their part, but usually work best when in conjunction with more formal means.

Yet, the judicial route has now been forced into the equation and it is a dynamic that cannot be ignored and one that *could*, if only for a short time, make the customer service element of our dealings more user-friendly from the business side of the market, so to speak.  But, if there are coaches out there who think some kind of reorganizing plan will resolve problems with procedure and policy as it concerns our sport, they are misleading themselves and others.  

When it comes down to "No Child Left Behind" and concerns with time spent in the classroom vs. being out in the field of sports, what do you think the DOE will do if given the opportunity to find ways to make a school failing ISTEP come into compliance?  Read between the lines and you will easily see the need for having our sports out from under the direct thumb of the DOE.

There has been a total of one person bring up IHSWCA proposals, one. Yet people get a chance to slam the Coaches Association and they jump all over it. There plenty of other things wrong with IHSAA, other than they won't vote wrestlebacks. How many times has schools that have rep's on the IHSAA board of directors caught a break, or gotten privileges and perks over other schools? Or atleast that is what people want to say.

What would it hurt to have an oversight commitee? I doubt little would change other than a few meetings a year where they (IHSAA) has to report to the appointed commitee. It certainly wouldn't hurt to look into adding this measure.

Or I guess since the IHSAA crushes the Coaches Association, and people on this board hate the Coaches Association, all is fine and the IHSAA is great!!!

The "them vs. us" mentality is why we don't get anything accomplished in the IHSAA.  It is why they take team semi-state away from us without more than a whimper.  We aren't going to get anything done if we keep blaming them for OUR problems.  The IHSAA isn't to blame for 40% of the head coaches being in the association.  You cannot expect to get something done when 40% of the head coaches are in support of a change, when you have 80-95% of the coaches in favor, you get something done.

TripleB, are you an IHSWCA member?  If no, why not and if yes, why are you? 

Why make this into a fingerpointing fest against individual coaches, Joe?  What are you hoping to accomplish other than making a spectacle and guilting someone into action?  We don't need that.  It's your site and you can do what you want, but c'mon.

Because I find it interesting that someone that want to blame the IHSAA for the issues wrestling has isn't a voting member of the association that is in charge.  Its like someone complaining about the president when they didn't vote.  Not being a member of the IHSWCA does not help our cause and in the end until the coaches come together we will continue to be divided from the IHSAA.

The IHSAA will continue to throw wrestling to the side when we go in there with an "us vs. them" mentality.  They will also continue to do the same when we go in with proposals that are backed by only 40% of the members.  Plain and simple, we must work WITH them and not against them.  The IHSAA has flaws, but we must work our way around them in order to do what is best for the sport.

We must look at how the other coaches associations get proposals passed so that we can do the same.  What is the IFCA doing so much differently than we are?  Maybe its easy for them to get proposals passed because they have nearly 100% of their head coaches that are voting on them.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.