Class Wrestling?????

devildog47959

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fact. but how does that gauge our strength as a state you can compare those results to other states but did they send the absolute best? did we send our absolute best. you said it yourself its a guideline nothing more.

You're right, I did say guideline. Which means there's some small fluctuations. Indiana was 11th, so does that mean we're actually the 11th strongest? No, but I'd have a hard time believing we're any worse than 20th. Iowa rated as #1. Do I think they're actually #1? No, but they're in the top 5 I'd say.

Iowa isn't top 5, they have had a good run of kids the past few years.

1. PA

2. Ohio

3. Illinois

4. New Jersey

5. California

No way Iowa is better than those five states year in year out.  They might top a few of those teams every few years, but not consistently enough to be considered a top 5 state.  Survey people from across the nation and very few will put Iowa in the top 5. 

fact. but how does that gauge our strength as a state you can compare those results to other states but did they send the absolute best? did we send our absolute best. you said it yourself its a guideline nothing more.

You're right, I did say guideline.  Which means there's some small fluctuations.  Indiana was 11th, so does that mean we're actually the 11th strongest?  No, but I'd have a hard time believing we're any worse than 20th.  Iowa rated as #1.  Do I think they're actually #1?  No, but they're in the top 5 I'd say.

You said it was the best way to judge a state's strength first.  Then you said it is just a guideline.  

and the debate goes on and on.....

Question:

How can it be proven that class wrestling is beneficial?

How can it be proven that single class wrestling is detrimental?

opinions always create flawed data.  Inherent bias causes us to see what we want in data and to interpret the data as we see fit.

Since I am late to this argument:

Against individual series class wrestling

In favor of a team wrestling series format

1. PA

2. Ohio

3. Illinois

4. New Jersey

5. California

No way Iowa is better than those five states year in year out.  They might top a few of those teams every few years, but not consistently enough to be considered a top 5 state.  Survey people from across the nation and very few will put Iowa in the top 5. 

My data just goes back the past 5 years, not 10 or 15 or 20.  Would the past 5 years constitute every few years?

You said it was the best way to judge a state's strength first.  Then you said it is just a guideline.  

Sometimes a guideline is the best or only way to judge a state's strength.  What do you want to do, bring every kid from every state together to determine the real state rankings?

Maybe the reason the attendance is up for the finals is because its almost the equivalent of combining Semi State and State.  Would we still keep the Semi States? The quality of matches will be down at state and I wouldn't be as interested in first round matches.

Sometimes a guideline is the best or only way to judge a state's strength.  What do you want to do, bring every kid from every state together to determine the real state rankings?

I think that Fargo is the best way to compare states that we will ever have.  No we don't send all of our best, but I would think we send close to an equal percentage of our best that other states do.  It will not correlate perfectly but it is a good measuring stick.

and the debate goes on and on.....

Question:

How can it be proven that class wrestling is beneficial?

How can it be proven that single class wrestling is detrimental?

Oregon has 5 classes now, but should've kept it at three. Three was plenty. However, we have to live with five now. What its done is made other in season tournament, much more exciting because you have a lot of interesting matchups and the best always find a way to meet up. It hasn't done anything to diminish the quality wrestlers in our state.

What its done is increased numbers and increased our fan base. Our state tournament went from about 5000 fans to 9200 when they added the 2 additional classes.

Now for all those people who think having one state title is the only way to go, does football, basketball, baseball, track, soccer, softball or volleyball have one state champion? Nope.

People need to get out of the stone ages and get with the times. We need to increase our numbers and our fan base in order to keep our sport strong.

1. PA

2. Ohio

3. Illinois

4. New Jersey

5. California

My data just goes back the past 5 years, not 10 or 15 or 20.  Would the past 5 years constitute every few years?

It looks like there is a strong correlation between a state's population and the strength of its wrestling.  This and whether or not the state has a tradition of wrestling seem to explain more than whether or not the state has class wrestling or not (since there are some states that have classes that do better than you would expect based on their population and some that don't).  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_population

Maybe the reason the attendance is up for the finals is because its almost the equivalent of combining Semi State and State.  Would we still keep the Semi States? The quality of matches will be down at state and I wouldn't be as interested in first round matches.

So an increased interest in the state finals is not good for the sport?  Increased interest from schools of ALL sizes is not good for the sport?

I guess we will let the big schools dominate and just watch as the sport dies at the small school level.  

OK. I agree with you it might be the best or only way.  What I am saying is that Oregon, with an outrageous  5 classes, half the population, probably less wrestling tradition, probably fewer off season opportunities to improve, is kicking our butt at Fargo.  We should have twice the points at Fargo with twice the population.

While we are talking about Classes I really think we should have all national tourneys classed.  I mean how can a smaller population state be expected to compete against California or Texas.  They have a larger pool of athletes to pull from.  So we should have a 1A, 2A, 3A national champions in our summer season.

So an increased interest in the state finals is not good for the sport?  Increased interest from schools of ALL sizes is not good for the sport?

I guess we will let the big schools dominate and just watch as the sport dies at the small school level.  

I'm just saying I'm not sure its an increased interest in the sport.  It sounds like its just a transfer of interested from Semi State to State. That data doesn't prove to me there are new fans when it may just be that your combining them into one.

While we are talking about Classes I really think we should have all national tourneys classed.  I mean how can a smaller population state be expected to compete against California or Texas.  They have a larger pool of athletes to pull from.  So we should have a 1A, 2A, 3A national champions in our summer season.

Good idea tskin.  Then we have more national champions.

I think that Fargo is the best way to compare states that we will ever have.  No we don't send all of our best, but I would think we send close to an equal percentage of our best that other states do.  It will not correlate perfectly but it is a good measuring stick.

Thank you, this is all I wanted.  I'm not suggesting that where each state ranks at Fargo is the actual strength.  But it's a good measuring stick, guideline, estimate, whatever you want to call it.

1. PA

2. Ohio

3. Illinois

4. New Jersey

5. California

No way Iowa is better than those five states year in year out.  They might top a few of those teams every few years, but not consistently enough to be considered a top 5 state.  Survey people from across the nation and very few will put Iowa in the top 5.  

It looks like there is a strong correlation between a state's population and the strength of its wrestling.  This and whether or not the state has a tradition of wrestling seem to explain more than whether or not the state has class wrestling or not (since there are some states that have classes that do better than you would expect based on their population and some that don't).  

States 1 million people bigger than us and how we stack up.

California- Worse

Texas- Better than

New York- Worse

Florida- Even

Illinois- Worse

Pennsylvania- Worse

Ohio- Worse

Michigan- Worse

Georgia- Better than

North Carolina- Better than

New Jersey- Worse

Virginia- Even with

States we are within 1 million people of and how we stack up

Washington- Even

Arizona- Better

Massachusetts- Better

Tennessee- Better

Missouri- Worse

Maryland- Better

Wisconsin- Worse

Minnesota- Worse

Other states that are better than us that have less population

Oregon

Oklahoma

Iowa

Kansas

Other states we are even with that are lesser population

Colorado and Nebraska

How about we just have one weight class, how is it that a 103lber can call himself a state champion when a 152lb regional qualifier could pin his butt in 30 seconds?  He's not the true state wrestling champion!  Lets have a TRUE state champion next week, I hate this classed state championships we have now.  Let them all duke it out for a true state champion because that is what high school athletics is for.

States 1 million people bigger than us and how we stack up.

California- Worse

Texas- Better than

New York- Worse

Florida- Even

Illinois- Worse

Pennsylvania- Worse

Ohio- Worse

Michigan- Worse

Georgia- Better than

North Carolina- Better than

New Jersey- Worse

Virginia- Even with

States we are within 1 million people of and how we stack up

Washington- Even

Arizona- Better

Massachusetts- Better

Tennessee- Better

Missouri- Worse

Maryland- Better

Wisconsin- Worse

Minnesota- Worse

Other states that are better than us that have less population

Oregon

Oklahoma

Iowa

Kansas

Other states we are even with that are lesser population

Colorado and Nebraska

I missed on how you guys were determining how one state was better than another.  How did you and the other poster determine how to rank the states?

How about we just have one weight class, how is it that a 103lber can call himself a state champion when a 152lb regional qualifier could pin his butt in 30 seconds?  He's not the true state wrestling champion!  Lets have a TRUE state champion next week, I hate this classed state championships we have now.  Let them all duke it out for a true state champion because that is what high school athletics is for.

While were at it...why aren't those whiners at Manchester, Trine, Wabash and Rose Hulman not competing with Iowa, Iowa State and the Ohio State University.  They must not work hard there and just want medals to make them feel good about themselves.  Those egomanic coaches at D3 probably just bitched and moaned until they got a class division where their sorry lazy butts could compete and pad their resumes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.