Merrillville Semi-State

ngwilliams

This always gets brought up...so why not?!

Better get there early if you want a decent seat. Adding fourth place finishers from regionals will make this more of a madhouse than what it already is. Think about it...fans AND wrestlers are already packed in like sardines. 56 guys doesn't sound like a big deal but wow. I can't even imagine how things will be. Each of the 4th placer's family along with coaches could make it ten times worse.. maybe they'll think about moving it to some place bigger and more crowd friendly next season but hopefully they will keep the mouth watering chocolate chip muffins ;D.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EC Central.  According to older stats eight of the ten largest high school gyms in the country are in Indiana and EC is one of them.  It's been a while but I think they were 8th.  New Castle was 1st.  These stats are probably wrong now due to all the building and progression.  Correct me if  I'm wrong.

This is from Wikipedia:

State, City, Venue, Capacity

1 Indiana, New Castle, New Castle Fieldhouse, 9,314

2 Indiana, Anderson, Anderson Wigwam, 8,996

3 Indiana, East Chicago, East Chicago Central Gym, 8,296

4 Indiana, Seymour,  Seymour High School Gym, 8,110

5 Indiana,  Richmond, Tiernan Center, 8,100

6 Indiana, Elkhart,  North Side Gymnasium, 8,000

7 Indiana, Marion, Bill Green Athletic Arena,  7,650

8 Texas, Dallas, Alfred J. Loos Fieldhouse, 7,500

9 Indiana, Michigan City, "The Wolves' Den" Gym, 7,373

10 Indiana, Bedford, BNL Fieldhouse, 7,371

I haven't been to a Merrillville SS in roughly 8 years but I can still vividly remember the cramped quarters. I didn't understand why they had it there 8 years ago and I'm still confused why they are still hosting the SS. I understand the location of the high school is a big reason but "the region" must have other options (see: EC Central). Look at it this way, if they moved it to a large gym with ample space for the wrestlers to warm up and the fans to stretch their legs...we wouldn't have anything to b***h about.

I remember being in line behind an elderly gentleman a few years ago. He had a very small lunch bag size cooler that was storing his insulin. They gave him a hard time about it and and after much negotiation, finally let him bring it in. I'm thinking that the state fire marshall is going to show up this year. ::)

The problem is the first two rounds when one half of the lower bleachers aren't used

Don't forget about the restricted viewing up top the first two rounds as well as the inevitable  sunlight blasting in from the windows at the top of the gym.

The problem is the first two rounds when one half of the lower bleachers aren't used

Don't forget about the restricted viewing up top the first two rounds as well as the inevitable  sunlight blasting in from the windows at the top of the gym.

they need to invest in some blinds you can choose the side to see all four mats and have the sun blinding you or only see 2 mats take your pick i have never been on the restricted viewing side in 4 years of attending

OMG !!!   Big Fan's picture says it all !!!  :o

So exactly what is wrong with using the EC Central gym that seats 8,200 ???   

Or the Michigan City gym that seats 7,300 ???

In the words of the scarecrow ....... "If I only had a brain"  ...

I help out with wrestling events at my high school, and I take a great deal of pride in trying to keep things running smoothly and making things pleasant for the fans.  It seems like you go to Merrillville and they go out of their way to make you feel unwelcome.  I am a huge wrestling fan, but I would almost rather stay home than go watch the kids compete (even the ones I know).  I wish someone could take this event away from Merrillville and give it to a school that would actually try to make it the special event that it is supposed to be and not the negative ordeal it turns into every year.

What a SHAME!

:-\

Now someone correct me if i am wrong but I have heard the reason Merriville gets to host the SS every year is their AD is on some wrestling board and lobbys to keep it?!?!? not 100% on that but maybe someone from the IHSAA should take a road trip n check out the conditions or maybe the Fire Marshall should make a visit! I love wrestling but I dread going to that SS every year not only is there no where to sit for fans but then you have wrestlers who are trying to warm up for their match next to you in the hallway cause there is no where to warm up!

And no saved seats unless your a Mville fan then you can save up to half a row

I agree there are alot of venues and gyms in NW Indiana that could accommodate this semi state better than Merrillville. Along w/ EC Central we have the Hammond Civic center, which is huge, also we have the Genesis center In Gary ample parking and easy access. Its time for the IHSAA to make a choice for us the fans.

Just out of curiosity.  Exactly how small is this gym?  Does anybody have a picture or a seating capacity for the gym?

Thanks for the image, It doesn't look huge.  That sun looks like it could definitely be blinding.

So do both sides of the gym have the same capacity as the picture shows and any bleachers  or seating along the baseline?

picture035wb1.th.jpg

Click on the picture to enlarge.

Maybe now that Billy Maldonado is the AD at East Chicago he could get his brother David to convince Merrillville to give the SS to ECC. I'm realize that there is alot more to hosting than just providing the facility, but I bet with all the contacts and connections Billy has in the wrestling community that they would have no problem getting the help they would need to run a successful tourney. Just imagine being able to stretch out  in the morning rounds and have the same amount of seating on all 4 sides upstairs. Do all wrestlers and fans a favor ECC, apply to the IHSAA to host the semistate!

Just out of curiosity.  Exactly how small is this gym?  Does anybody have a picture or a seating capacity for the gym?

Thanks for the image, It doesn't look huge.  That sun looks like it could definitely be blinding.

So do both sides of the gym have the same capacity as the picture shows and any bleachers  or seating along the baseline?

picture035wb1.th.jpg

Click on the picture to enlarge.

No one side has the lower Bleachers out, but the up stairs is the same. It really isn't that bad when you have both lower levels out. Plus it is right off I-65 so it is easy to get to.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.